Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy It just isn't fair! (no good deed goes unpunished)

*VENTING*
    So we adopted a lab mix puppy from a local shelter so Rocky wouldn't be so alone anymore. Xena was adopted on 4/25/14 and she's just a doll........The shelter she came from, not so much:

1. They have had her and her litter mates since birth. (because according to them they know she was born on 1/27/14.) Yet not a soul can tell me about the dog that gave birth to Xena??? How do you know the exact date of birth of a litter with no info on the dog that gave birth?????? strange .. no?

2. They've been feeding this whole litter Hills Prescription W/D kibble. (?!!/@#1#$#%#$%#$$%#$!!!!!!!!) If you aren't familiar with W/D rx food, it's for ADULT diabetic dogs who are overweight. When we got her home she was so starving she was eating everything in creation and immediately going to the bathroom because this RX food is loaded with fiber. Even though they were "feeding" her ...Her system was starving. Not joking: We had about a 5 minute window from when she ate to when she would have to poop/pee because this food went straight through her. We immediately switched her to Wellness grain free puppy formula.

3. The shelter never gave us her medical records the day of adoption, said they were gonna email them to us. Never got them in time (didn't get the e-mail til 2 weeks later). She ended up getting over vaccinated on Bordetella. Since we live in lymes disease ground zero and next door to a pond, i couldn't wait around to get her to our vet and get flea/tick meds and heartworm meds going.

4. Xena Comes down with kennel cough. (and clears up within 10 days on antibiotics) Rocky then gets sick and still sick 3 weeks later. Vet gave us amoxicillian for rocky 7 day supply.

5. Xena Gets diagnosed with localized mange.

6. Rocky has had runny yellowish crud coming out of his nose for 2 weeks now (right after his antibotics were done.) and still coughs (not as much now though) , nothing about him has changed otherwise; still eats, has energy, wants to play, wants to walk, swim, etc. Vet wants another 250.00 to swab his nose and test it to see why he's got yellow boogers and coughing.

7. in 3 weeks of owning Xena we've spent 1000.00 in vet bills.

Now i understand when adopting from a shelter you have to expect some illness .... but what's burning my ass right now is the fact they started this litter on a food that was in no way, shape or form made for puppies. I can't help but to feel the stupid illnesses Xena has gone through could have been lessened/non existent if she had a healthy, well fed immune system to start with. If they needed puppy food then why didn't they just ask like everything else!? >_<

Poor Rocky has NEVER had any sicknesses since we've gotten him from the breeder. Now he spends every single day suffering since we've brought Xena home. I dont know what to do or think at this point. Xena is in good shape now. But I can't afford to bring Rocky to the vet til June. He's been "paying" for Xena's adoption since day one ... It just isn't fair.

On the up side.... They get along. Xena LOVES Rocky dearly and is lost without him around. Rocky is starting to enjoy a puppy's company and starting to play with her more now that she doesn't seem to fragile to him. Thank god for that much .....But Rocky deserves his turn to be 100% healthy again.

Anyone familiar with respiratory problems in dogs??

Puppy
    Thank you for rescuing. A lot of shelter dogs have respiratory infections as they are usually airborne diseases and spread quickly in housing where dogs are kept in close quarters. I know shelters are always looking for good volunteers. Maybe you can volunteer for the shelter and help with getting the pups/dogs on proper diets.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 4PAWS For This Useful Post:

TanyaAD138 (05-24-2014)

I would love to but right now Rocky needs to come first....Also, Im not sure If i could carry the bacteria to another dog since im the one wiping dog noses all day and getting coughed on. <:/

Boy these respiratory illnesses dont let go! >_<

Wow, that is crazy. Why on earth would they feed W/D to puppies? Sheesh.

Anyway, I don't have much experience with respiratory illnesses... but Roxy did get kennel cough when she was a baby from puppy class, despite receiving her Bordetella vaccination before ever enrolling. Roxy coughed and hacked for a good week or so on antibiotics, but was fine after that. I learned real quick that the Bordetella vaccination definitely doesn't stop them from getting it, as "kennel cough" is sort of a vague name for any respiratory infection, but should lesson the symptoms. I believe you are correct that you could carry the bacteria to another dog. It is quite contagious.
    - LS2Erin

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    b. 12/17/12
    My rock 'n roll star.
    Hidden Content
    10/09/00 - 01/24/12
    My pride and joy, R.I.P.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ls2erin For This Useful Post:

TanyaAD138 (05-24-2014)

That's a rough start for all of you. My understanding of shelter food is that they often feed what gets donated. It wouldn't surprise me if the pups actually ate several different kinds of food while they were there. When we adopted Fran, she had this neon green liquid poop because they suddenly started to feed all of the dogs a low end canned food that someone had just donated. We didn't even bother to convert her over slowly to what we fed our dogs because she was already in distress and they couldn't remember what they had fed her before that. It's just a hard reality when it comes to shelters, along with the serious contagiousness of bordatella which many consider to be inevitable in a shelter environment.

The respiratory illnesses can hang on but it sounds like both of your dogs are healthy overall so it shouldn't be too long.

All good thoughts. She sounds like a great pup and you are taking wonderful care of her.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

TanyaAD138 (05-24-2014)

Oh she is a character. I dont regret adopting her....I just wish they were more up front about things. Anyway ... so this yellow crud coming out of rocky happened after he finished his meds....it's been 2 weeks now... doesn't seem to be getting worse but doesn't seem to be going away either. Not sure what to do at this point.

Puppy
    If it's been two weeks and not getting better then, you may want to visit your vet. He may need another round of antibiotics, I would ask for Clavamox.
    Last edited by 4PAWS; 05-25-2014 at 01:06 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 4PAWS For This Useful Post:

TanyaAD138 (05-25-2014)

Ha! funny you say that .... Clavamox is what the pup was put on and cleared her up completely! im assuming they started her on clavamox due to her background....OHHH I forgot to mention! Xena is a rescue from Puerto Rico! we live in NY. This girl has a great temperament for being tossed around so much.

Puppy
    Looking forward to Rocky and Xena stories. She sounds like a fun pup, that has had a rough start and lucky to have found a great home!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 4PAWS For This Useful Post:

TanyaAD138 (05-25-2014)

It's sad, but you're right: No good deed goes unpunished. and I could give you quite a few examples from my own experience. However, thank you for rescuing Xena, who seems to be a great pup, and giving her a loving home. Feel really sorry for Rocky because their nose is so important for them and having it runny and half-blocked must be a real pain. Sending a lot of good thoughts for his fast recovery, so he can fully enjoy the wonderful world of smells around him again.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeLynn For This Useful Post:

TanyaAD138 (05-25-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos