Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar

My puppy was bit by the neighbor's dog - now he is limping!

The vet appointment is at 11:00. Any word of wisdom here? My older dog was only bit once - on the ear and other than a little blood - he was fine. (I was freaked out and super angry at the dog owner at the dog park. )

Barley and I were walking when we came across Locchi and his owner who were also walking. Locchi is a large dog - a rescue and I have been afraid of him because he seems really vicious when we walk by behind his fence. I was assured by his foster mother (who owns three very well behaved and sweet rescues) that Locchi is a cream puff and just looks scary when he is protecting his property and I was assured of the same by his owner. Which is why I was o.k. when the owner walked over to us to introduce he and Barley formally. Well - Locchi - attacked him. It scared the hell out of all of us, especially his owner. I did not see any blood - so I thought he was o.k. at first and we continued on our walk. Barley was more subdued - but seemed o.k.

Later - in the afternoon, he was laying in the sun - and I saw the wound and called the vet. They gave me the option of bringing him in or watching him and calling back later. I opted to watch him - because I still saw no blood and he seemed o.k. I took him over to my brother's house - who also has a lab and he seemed fine. Until the middle of the night - when he started whimpering and when I took him to go potty - he was really limping - so I think the wound is infected. Of course - I am worried - so can anyone offer any suggestions? I also think that I need to talk with the dog owner and let him know that his dog should not be around other dogs. I also wonder if Locchi may have attacked him because Barley has not yet been neutered. (He is almost 6 months and the vet said that I could do it at any time. ) Do I need to hurry up and get him neutered?

My poor baby!
    -barley-colorado-012-jpg
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

Aw poor Barley. I hope that he heals quickly. Have you looked into the stickies on spaying and neutering on the forum? I'm no expert on dog behavior but I'm sure someone else will chime in-- If it were me I would let the owner know to make her aware that he may have aggression issues. Hopefully she will offer to pay the vet bill. I would also avoid Locchi. I would not neuter my boy until at least 12 months personally but I think it's up to you. A lot of people neuter at 6 months. But there could have been a lot of other reasons why that dog attacked Barley. He could have leash aggression or dislike puppies. It's unfortunate that it happened. let me know how it goes at the vet!
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

Poor baby, I hope he is feeling better very soon. I agree with the above, do your research before deciding on neutering. What happened would not convince me to neuter a young puppy like Barley.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (11-09-2014)

Senior Dog
    till you get to the vet i would see if you can make the wound bleed.
    then i would let the owner know, that her dog, hurt your dog, and you will let her know what the vet bill is. if she balks, then i would mention animal control too.

sorry if i sound mean, but been there and done that with an idiot who said his dog was friendly and bit rex under the eye. he had the dog all of 3 days. and he paid the bills.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bett For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (11-10-2014), Charlotte K. (11-09-2014), POPTOP (11-10-2014)

Hope Barley is doing better....

So sorry about what happened to Barley. Hope the poor chap is okay soon and there's no permanent damage. Some dogs are evil, and some can cause damage unintentionally, but, unfortunately, it makes no difference whatsoever. Fingers crossed he's fine in no time.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    hope barley is better and i wanted to add, of the dog bite pierced the skin, i'd make a vet appt.

Blood is not the only sign of serious injury. Signs of pain such as whimpering and limping should be considered worthy of checking out. Hope you find he's perfectly ok.

Did you read my answer about neutering on the other post you made about dogs "coming out of the woodwork"? did you read the link? It's not likely his intact status since he most likely hasn't started puberty yet. If this is happening with most dogs targeting him then you need to observe closely to see if he is triggering their attention himself. Does he stare at other dogs? Does he rudely bounce up into their faces? Locchi overreacted though, maybe he needs a checkout too, to see why, vision problems, sore somewhere, thyroid?

Here's the other thread where you first mentionned this:

First dog park trip - not so great

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

emma_Dad (11-10-2014)

Snowshow brings up a good point that since this isn't the first time a dog has specifically target him. He might be missing some doggy manners that's causing the other dogs to bring all their attention to him. But the other dog that bit him for sure overreacted. Usually dogs give a bunch of other warning signs before they actually bite. From my experience, actually biting is a last resort.

Hope he's doing well and the experience has no negative effects on him!

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    As soon as you said “Locchi is a cream puff and just looks scary when he is protecting his property”…that’s a red flag. Any dog that is “protecting his property” in an aggressive dog. For the most part – labs don’t protect or guard their belongings. If you’ve only ever had labs it’s probably something that you won’t ever see. It’s important to go to the vet and make sure that your dog is okay! Even if it’s a little bite – you don’t know if the other dog has all of its shots etc. regardless of what the owner says because you just never know. People get scared and lie too when confronted.

I don’t think it has anything to do with your dog being intact – however I would need to see your dog in that exact situation to watch his body language.

I would 100% report the bite. I think rescuing dogs is hugely important, and I always preach to people to rescue dogs. Dog bites can usually be avoided if the owner is responsible.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos