Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've noticed that when Daisy is startled she can growl and bark. This weekend she growled /barked/ lunged for my nephew on a big wheel. I put her on leash immediately. Today she also growled at a girl on a skateboard - she was on leash and didn't lunge. But their golden came out and barked at Daisy like crazy and I think she was defending her family member. I'm sad to think Daisy could be dangerous around kids on wheels. I think she is scared but I'm a little worried. Is this behavior something I should be really worried about? Will it go away in time? How do I fix it???
    Edit: she also growls at a metal pig statue in my friend's yard.
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

Charlie does this and he is the sweetest dog. He does not like skateboards, big wheels, scooters, motorcycles or big garbage trucks. He doesn't growl, but he barks and lunges. Niner doesn't really care. I've worked long and hard on this and since he is so treat motivated I can usually distract his attention from the enemy (LOL) with a treat. Sometimes I give him a firm "NO" as the situation comes near he will be good, but sometimes he doesn't listen and will bark and lunge. I do think it is a fear factor - not aggression. Try using some really good treats to distract Daisy. Now that you know those things bother her you can work on distracting her.

Nancy
    Last edited by Nancy0; 05-25-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Daisy is the sweetest dog. And she is generally fairly calm even around loud playful kids. Tonight Daisy and I went for a walk with my nephew while he was on a scooter she did fine although she partly lunged toward him once when he got close but with no growling or barking-- at least I know about it now My nephew is a little nervous around her now but getting better.

House Broken
    Things with wheels freak some dogs out. Carley was scared of a kid on a skateboard when I was walking her a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if it was the sound or the way the human appeared to be gliding from her perspective. Maybe you could try putting a few wheel things (skate board, big wheel, etc) in your house to try and desensitize her to it? Just have them casually off to the side somewhere and ignore them until she is also ignoring them completely. I did that with the vacuum cleaner when Luci was going through a scared phase. Now I can barely get her to move out of the way when I'm vacuuming.

I'll probably get beat up here for this but . . . Dogs don't like kids on wheels, I myself as a kid was bit delivering newspapers on my bicycle.
    We have a dog near us that is not contained. As I drive by, it runs out and tries to "get me". I now have their dog trained on the sound of my truck not to chase me. How? I just stop, he pees on my tires, he huffs around and soon gets bored and heads for home. I start, he resumes the chase, I stop, he gets bored. Over and over we went and now he don't bother, too boring.

Charlie also doesn't like bicycles. However, he usually doesn't react with kids just riding casually by. It's the adults that think they are Joe Racer and go screaming by - whoa - he reacts - hates that.

I think conditioning Daisy around scooters and such will help her.

Puppy
    This behavior is not good Look for positive reinforcement based training classes and get enrolled. This behavior can easily be corrected with the proper training, the sooner the better or can easily escalate with no behavior modification training or improper training.

Quote Originally Posted by 4PAWS View Post
    This behavior is not good Look for positive reinforcement based training classes and get enrolled. This behavior can easily be corrected with the proper training, the sooner the better or can easily escalate with no behavior modification training or improper training.
    Obviously the behavior is not good. She is enrolled in positive training right now - she is enrolled in her third 6 week class right now.
    Any specific ideas on correcting the behavior??

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
    Things with wheels freak some dogs out. Carley was scared of a kid on a skateboard when I was walking her a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if it was the sound or the way the human appeared to be gliding from her perspective. Maybe you could try putting a few wheel things (skate board, big wheel, etc) in your house to try and desensitize her to it? Just have them casually off to the side somewhere and ignore them until she is also ignoring them completely. I did that with the vacuum cleaner when Luci was going through a scared phase. Now I can barely get her to move out of the way when I'm vacuuming.
    Thanks-- I am definitely going to try putting some wheeled items around me house!! Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by 4PAWS View Post
    She is and has been enrolled in positive training. Any specific ideas on correction?

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos