Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Marking question

My pup Sam is 8 months and still intact, we are planning on having him fixed after he's a year old. Last night we were at doggy playgroup and Sam peed over another dog's pee. I've never seen him do this before and I was really surprised, especially because we were inside and he knows not to pee inside. I didn't handle it like I should have either, because I just had no idea that it would happen. But I will be prepared to deal with it better next time, if we continue to go. He's been marking outside on his walks for a few weeks now but he's never marked inside the house (thank god). So that got me wondering if taking Sam to indoor places where he might be tempted to mark is going to let him think he's allowed to continue going inside. Like if he sees another dog pee accidentally (or on purpose I guess), does that give him a green light in his mind that peeing inside where other dogs have peed is fine?

To make a long story short, we will be taking him somewhere over the holidays where the dogs have been allowed to mark inside for some time (three fixed males). I don't want him to get the idea that that is acceptable and frankly, I don't want to have to watch him every second that we are there to make sure he doesn't try it. I'm contemplating skipping the get together this year just to avoid the possibility but should I stop taking him to playgroup too? Or should I take him and hope that corrections are going to halt the behavior? Forgive me if i'm being naive, I've never had a male dog before and this is out of my element totally!

Truthfully I don't think this has anything to do with him being a male or unaltered. I have 4 girls, all spayed, who will pee over another dogs pee especially in a daycare type setting like you describe. They have also peed over another dogs pee in Petsmart as well.

I could be wrong of course, I don't own any males but dogs pee where they smell pee, that's been my experience even with females

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

sarah (11-10-2014), Tanya (11-10-2014)

Oban is 7, still intact and doesn't mark inside. We had a fee oops at the beginning, which was 8 months for him too but some diligent watching and vigilant correcting he's fine. However if I'm in a place where other dogs may have pee'd, male or female, I'm more careful to watch him. It's like they think, "But Mum, all the other dogs do it here." There's an outside corner on my Vet's counter and even the girls pee there, albeit on the floor. I am quite unworried about taking into the nursing home or someone's home because no other dog has pee'd there.

It might help if you think of it like this: First he had to learn which horizontal surfaces were peeable, grass ok, carpet not. Now he has to learn his vertical surfaces are ok; trees yes, people and furniture legs, inside walls not. Boys!

I think you will have to watch him at that house over the holidays.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

sarah (11-10-2014)

So if he pees or I anticipate he is going to pee and we are at playgroup, is an "ah-ah" and take him outside right away the best correction? Just treating it like I'm potty training again?

Yes, Snowshoe, I think we will have to keep the visit short this year and not bring Sam with us. There will be chaos with 6 people and 6 dogs and one of them has started resource guarding and has snapped at Sam several times in the past. So all around not ideal but it's family so what can you do. And of course when I explain why we're not bringing him, we will get blamed because we haven't gotten him fixed yet. You know, since it's prevented all of their dogs from doing that *eyeroll*.

1. Don't worry about what other people think about not neutering a young dog. Yes, you are going to get it done but are waiting for the appropriate time. Your visit may need to be short this year.

2. Mardi, our yellow girl, is quite a marker. It surprised me but have found that it is not that unusual. She does not pee in the house.

3. Archie, given a chance, will mark wherever he wants. I let him know what is appropriate and what is not. Even on walks, I don't allow him to mark every blade of grass. There are certain spots he I him mark, but otherwise I give him the leave it command and walk on. PetsMart is a place where I watch him closely and keep him on a short leash since so many other dogs have marked there. I let him pee outside and then go in where lifting a leg is a big no-no.

You can control this by monitoring and letting him know when and when it is not appropriate to pee.

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    So if he pees or I anticipate he is going to pee and we are at playgroup, is an "ah-ah" and take him outside right away the best correction? Just treating it like I'm potty training again?

Yes, Snowshoe, I think we will have to keep the visit short this year and not bring Sam with us. There will be chaos with 6 people and 6 dogs and one of them has started resource guarding and has snapped at Sam several times in the past. So all around not ideal but it's family so what can you do. And of course when I explain why we're not bringing him, we will get blamed because we haven't gotten him fixed yet. You know, since it's prevented all of their dogs from doing that *eyeroll*.
    I don't know how you can control it at this house, like I said even my females will pee over other dogs pee. Keep a very close eye on him.

Of course you will get blamed!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

sarah (11-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeysMommy View Post
    I don't know how you can control it at this house, like I said even my females will pee over other dogs pee. Keep a very close eye on him.

Of course you will get blamed!
    That house is probably the reason why am so freaked out about Sam starting to mark. I will not let my house be like that. Ever! I realize it's harder to manage with more than one dog. But theres no excuse for the situation thats going on there. It could have been prevented imo.

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    I've never allowed my dog to mark because we compete and perform. Just monitor and try to correct i

12. The Following User Says Thank You to xracer4844 For This Useful Post:

sarah (11-11-2014)

So do you think it's too late to prevent him from marking at all? I'd prefer if he didn't do it period but we've been allowing it outside for a little while.

Had a very embarrassing night tonight at playgroup. I was so mortified by his behavior I was almost in tears. I'm afraid I'm never going to be able to take him anywhere. This is exactly what I didn't want to happen.

we start next round of obdience classes tomorrow and I'm terrified he's going to get us kicked out of class

Oh gosh, obedience classes is probably the best place to be with this young guy and over the years I've seen lots of wild and crazy behavior that never got anyone kicked out of class! My 8 year old boy, who was neutered at age 3, will occasionally pee over his sister's pee but only when we're outside. Lark doesn't pee in the house and Chase never has.

Your boy is young and exuberant and a big old puppy. Don't give up on the training, this is an important time to keep it up while he's probably in his teenage years. It will help both of you feel more confident. He will learn how to act but it takes work. I remember when Chase was about that age and acting like a crazy animal sometimes on walks, someone told me if I could hold on until he was 2 years old, I'd have a wonderful dog on my hands. That was a little discouraging when I was feeling kind of stressed about his behavior already, but soon he was the sweet, friendly, calm lab everybody thinks they want to own. Lark isn't yet 2, she's usually good, but we still have some work to do. Keep at it and don't let being mortified get in your way. The keep us humbled about our own powers, don't they?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

sarah (11-12-2014), Snowshoe (11-12-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos