Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Merrick Food (for my cats, but dog opinions welcome)

My local pet store has been out of stock of the Taste of the Wild canned food I give my cats along with their TOTW dry.

I feel like they're not getting enough on all dry, so I just picked up 20 cans of Merrick. They ate it right up - I tried to stick to the same Salmon flavor I give them on TOTW.

The ingredients looked good, but can anyone personally vouch for this food? Is it as high quality of TOTW? I tried to find Fromm, but no luck. In the future, if TOTW isn't available again like this (it's been months), is there another food anyone would recommend? (if Merrick is not good).

Thanks!

My cats seem to be really picky (normal for a cat, right?). I've tried just about every premium food out there. Their initial reaction is "yay, something new! I like it" to be met with "ew, this again?" the next time I serve it. (FWIW, they hated TOTW--probably because it's a pate.)

Basically I've deduced they do not like any pate type food.

Granted it has a huge ingredient list, but my cats really like Fussie Cat canned. No pate, lots of bits of fish. They waste very little of several varieties.

That said, I once tried Primal freeze dried for them (at the time I had two cats). They both ate it up but one of them proceeded to puke half a dozen times afterward. I don't know if it was because it was raw or too rich or just what (but the same cat experienced the pukes after eating a lizard he had killed, so perhaps it's a raw problem?). I have also tried the frozen little nuggets, mixed in with the Fussie Cat and they're all okay with that. I wouldn't mind doing all Primal (that's what brand the dogs eat) but I don't want to do frozen as I can't get it from Chewy.

You might want to check the safety/recall track record of Merrick. I think I remember there being issues but I could be wrong.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

My cat used to eat Merrick and liked it. She usually gets Weruva canned food (not daily but whenever she's being good) and Acana dry free choice.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

House Broken
    My local store sells the Farmina N&D dog foods and cat foods, and in only a few short months the cat foods are her best seller and she has stopped selling Orijen cat food.

The cat foods are supposed to be amazing. 44% protein. 97% animal based.

I feed Merrick cans to my dogs, and the love them. I have no problems with the ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    You might want to check the safety/recall track record of Merrick. I think I remember there being issues but I could be wrong.
    The issues were potential salmonella with some of their bones. Not a big deal, IMNSHO. Canned Merrick is fine.

Our cat is like Alison's, in that it HAS to be the chunky type, not pate. If your cat prefers the chunky (for want of a better word), you can also consider Earthborn. It's reasonably priced and Molly the cat gives it five stars.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (11-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    The issues were potential salmonella with some of their bones. Not a big deal, IMNSHO. Canned Merrick is fine.

Our cat is like Alison's, in that it HAS to be the chunky type, not pate. If your cat prefers the chunky (for want of a better word), you can also consider Earthborn. It's reasonably priced and Molly the cat gives it five stars.
    Good to know, thanks for checking!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

House Broken
    Merrick is a sleazy company. I am surprised so few know it is owned by one of the largest processing companies of dead and diseased animals in the country called Tejas Industries, which is owned by an equally slimey investment company. Both have lobbied the government to allow the greater use of dead animal and diseased animal tissue in pet food. This is all public by the way.

So I am surprised this never gets mentioned about this company.

Quote Originally Posted by LabMunsterBracco View Post
    Merrick is a sleazy company. I am surprised so few know it is owned by one of the largest processing companies of dead and diseased animals in the country called Tejas Industries, which is owned by an equally slimey investment company. Both have lobbied the government to allow the greater use of dead animal and diseased animal tissue in pet food. This is all public by the way.

So I am surprised this never gets mentioned about this company.
    So. Are you a shill for Farmina? Everywhere you go, that's all you ever post about, is feed Farmina.

Are you a distributor?

Pray tell. And are you sure you aren't confusing Evangers with Merrick? I consider Evangers a sleazy company. Merrick does nothing more than most every dog food company does.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos