Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Had an argument with Ram, who's right?

Last night my cat Boots had thrown up bile a couple of times so instead of going out for a walk for Ram’s last pee I just let him out in the yard. My concern for Boots is because he has had two obstruction surgeries for large fur balls so now when I hear him retching it sounds to me like cha-ching. Before his last surgery his kidney values were off the chart and one of vets had asked me if I wanted them to make an impression of his paw.

So back to Ram. While he was outside I heard Boots retching again in the basement, so I called Ram to come in but he didn’t. Then I called him again and told him to come now and get a cookie. He eventually did come in after doing a bit more sniffing around. Then I went down to the basement and Boots had thrown up a cigar sized fur ball and then he was back to normal.

When I came back upstairs I sat on the couch and was watching TV. Ram came and sat on the floor and stared at me with his “where’s my cookie look”. So I told him that he should do what he’s told, when he’s told. Then he was making some moaning and groaning noises and looking towards the kitchen. So he obviously thinks I shouldn’t say things I don’t mean. After I said no a few more times he took out his frustration on his bear by giving it a good shake.

Then I got to thinking, was I right because he didn’t come when I called him? Or was he right, because he should be able to trust what I say?
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

LOL, that's a running battle in our house. The OH rewards for breathing, but in this case for coming in, whether the dog was called to come in or not. I only reward for prompt responses to my recall. So I side with you. However if Ram was used to a walk I can see why he might have delayed. I think I might have asked for a sit then reward just so he got something as it was an unusual circumstance.

Here I thought the argument was going to be over how the hairball was cleaned up. Yuck. Hope Boots is ok.

ETA: Oh, oh, missed that you told him he would get a cookie. I change my side, you cheated.
    Last edited by Snowshoe; 11-13-2014 at 10:11 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Sue-Ram (11-13-2014), Woodrow_Woodchuck (11-14-2014)

Senior Dog
    Poor Boots!

Kimber totally sides with Ram. I can see your point and understand your frustration, but I do think that if you say "cookie" he should get a "cookie." You don't want the magic words to lose their power!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

Sue-Ram (11-13-2014)

House Broken
    I think you're both right! You are overthinking it, you know that, right? I can totally relate because I do that all the time!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bridget For This Useful Post:

Sue-Ram (11-13-2014)

I am with Kimber and her mom! I will never say "treat time" to mine without following through. Although I have to admit those 2 words bring Maxx and Emma running without fail. (It usually means a turkey neck, chicken back or wings here!)
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Sue-Ram (11-13-2014)

Sorry about Boots! I have a cat that voms a lot and it is so annoying. She is usually good about moving herself to tile or hardwood so it's easier to clean but one day recently she really got the leather chair good and it was so gross!

Anyway, I totally agree with Ram! I think that if we don't reward our pets then it gives them less incentive to work for us. I don't give out treats but I will give a nice pet or 'good boys' often. If this were the case for me, which it does happen, I will call the guys inside, if they don't listen then I will go out myself and bring them in. Usually all it takes is for me to take one step outside the door and they know I mean business. At that point they get a 'thank you' instead of a 'good boy'.

I am a big believer in positive reinforcement and recognizing when they do good things, even if they are just normal every day things that I expect from them. It encourages them to be good listeners regularly and just really keeps everyone more positive over all. And if I make a promise, like a cookie or something, and can't immediately give it, I will make sure to practice the same exercise with a treat as soon I can.

Anyway, I am sure he will forgive you for a cookie right now though, dogs are sweet like that :*)
    Charlie and Burton

11. The Following User Says Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

Sue-Ram (11-13-2014)

I probably am overthinking it, but I don't like bribing him to do something. Think we need to do some recall refresher training.
    Hidden Content

CGN - 6/10/2013

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (11-13-2014)

You're not over thinking it and you are probably right...but I bet it will all come back to him very quickly!
    Charlie and Burton

15. The Following User Says Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

Sue-Ram (11-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by charliebbarkin View Post
    Sorry about Boots! I have a cat that voms a lot and it is so annoying. She is usually good about moving herself to tile or hardwood so it's easier to clean but one day recently she really got the leather chair good and it was so gross!
    My other cat Snow is 14 y/o and she will sometimes vomit within minutes of eating. As soon Ram hears the noise he's on clean up duty.
    Hidden Content

CGN - 6/10/2013

I agree with Kimbersmom. If you say the words they should be backed up with action, ie. cookies !!!!!!!

If you did not give the cookie, that would reinforce a negative or confused action next time.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackboy98 For This Useful Post:

Sue-Ram (11-13-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos