House Broken

Serenity now! Serenity now!

Guys, I need some advice from the 2+ dog households. We've got two labs - a 2.5y.o. male and a 14 week old female. These two roughhouse constantly! The only way to have any form of peace in the house is if the dogs are physically separated (one in an ex-pen, the other out). As soon as I let one out of the ex-pen, they are wrestling, biting, zooming around the house. I don't mind a little play, and totally expect it. But these two could go on for hours if I let them. It's destructive to the whole house and I'm worried that one of them will get injured.

Any advice on how to curb this? Or at least train them so I can start / end play when I want? As soon as the younger one gets her last shot, then we can get her out to play more freely, which should help a bit. But I still want to manage the crazy play in the house, since I'd rather not have to keep one dog "jailed up" in perpetuity.

Help please!

just keep physically seperating them. You can also force them to stop plyaing but it's more hands on and requires a lot of work but may be worth it in the long run. Works better when at least hte older dog cooperates.

also, lots of training to tire the mind.

are you still socializing the puppy even if they don't have all their shtos with safe, known dogs? Puppy classes?

House Broken
    Yeah, the pup is going to class (1x a week) and puppy socials (2x a week). Unfortunately, there aren't puppy socials scheduled for every day. I forgot to mention that both dogs are guilty of riling the other up. One could be napping and the other will initiate play - suppose a "leave it" type command could work for that behavior? Then, of course, they always what whatever toy or bone the other one has, which doesn't help. I was hoping they'll outgrow some of this and come to some sort of stasis, but I'm a bit discouraged at the moment...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksonsmommy For This Useful Post:

Tanya (11-13-2014)

Don't be discouraged! The constant need, at my house at least, to play slowed down significantly as each of my puppies grew up. I did spend a lot of time seperating and teaching "no play inside" during the first 6 months. I think it is a big novelty in the beginning and with a new puppy that always wants to play I do remember wondering each time if they would ever be able to nap quietly, side by side! This has happened each time I have brought home a new puppy but it all works out, hang in there!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Trust me when I say I know how you feel. It was like one constant game of chase and bitey face around here. It wasn't to bad when Bruce was smaller, but now at 8 months he's almost 2 inches taller than Sophie, and he weights 70 pounds, it's just too much, especially in the house.

As of 2 months ago I don't let them play at all in the house. I use the command "enough" and separate them. At first I had to do this constantly, but we are now to the point they will stop, and maybe re-engage a couple more times, with a couple more corrections before they stop completely. I recently made them "place" when I see them just begin to start. So far it's working ok.

Outside it's much harder, and I do not make any attempt to stop them unless I'm in a position to stop them. I also have been doing a joint obedience session with them, 20-30 miuntes every morning. I use very high value treats, raw hot dogs, which both of them really love, and they get a small piece when they come to me. This has really helped, as now when I recall them, they will both coming running. So when they are chasing each other now, as soon as the come to a stop, I call them, and they will generally come to me. If they don't, step in and make them.

I really had wished I would have started the joint obedience a lot sooner. I was working so hard getting Bruce through his CGC, I wasn't really thinking about having the big picture of dealing with two dogs.

Hope this helps, and good luck!!!

House Broken
    Thanks for the advice! I like the idea of using a command for inside - the idea of 2 70lb labs wrestling inside the house is making me cringe! It's already bad and the little one is only 25lbs.

I'll definitely do the joint training sessions - that's a fantastic idea.

Senior Dog
    No advice here, I just want to say thank you for using "serenity now" phrase. One of my favorite lines from Frank and George Costanza! Always gives me a smile and it's a good line to use during frustrating moments.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos