Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy

9 week lab biting holes in upper lip

I got my puppy (yellow lab) a week ago and put her in the kennel when i go to work and have someone comes over and lets her out ever few hours, but after the first day she barks and her upper lip flap goes in her mouth and her bottom tooth punctured a hole in her lip. It started out small but after 5 days it is starting to poke threw her lip. I want to know if anyone else had this problem and what I can do to help this issue. Please help. She will bark from the time I put her in the kennel until she gets taken out. The vet told me there is nothing I can do but let her continue to let her do it but it just keeps getting worse.

Do you have a crate that she could stay in inside your home? I was fortunate that the breeders we've used have gotten our pups accustomed to crates before we've gotten them and they haven't barked or cried when we leave for work. Actually, maybe I'm mistaken, is she outside or inside? How old is this baby girl? Was she accustomed to a kennel or crate before you got her?

Maybe being a weekend, you can take a little time to try to get her accustomed to being in a crate, both when you're still home where she can see and hear you and if you leave, or even just go outside the door for a few minutes. Some people find it helpful, when the puppy is in the crate, to leave a radio or the TV on so there's some sound that might help, and others have found it helpful to keep a blanket or other cover over the crate. You'd want to make sure she couldn't pull it into the crate and chew on it. There are some online places to look up crate games or things that can help get dogs adjusted to crates. I can't identify one off-hand since I haven't had to crate train my pups, they came trained. I use a crate inside my house and my pups spend some time in there even when I'm home, so they see me come and go and get more accustomed to being in the crate with and without me.

I suspect the more she bites the lip, it gets a little more swollen and then it's more likely to get bitten again when she barks again because it's more swollen. Kind of a vicious cycle. If she isn't barking and biting it over the weekend, maybe it will get a little less swollen and less likely to get bitten. Meantime you can work on getting her more comfortable in her kennel.

I hope you get this figured out, poor little girl.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Puppy
    She is inside the house. She barks even if she can see us. As soon as I walk a foot away from the cage she barks until I come back. I was told to not come until she stops barking but one night she barked for 8 hours straight without even taking a minute break. It isnt the kennel she is scared of as she will play in there with toys and if i so go to kennel she will walk over and go in it. She is 9 weeks old now and I have had her for a week. The breeder didn't put her in a kennel she just had a puppy crate that didnt have a door and she could come and go as she pleases. I have tried the blanket, the radio, the loud clock. Nothing seems to work. I give her a treat when she goes in the kennel on her own so she understands it is a good place to be. She just has some major seperation issues that I am trying to fix as she will bark if i just go downstairs and she can't follow me. I read alot about leaving for a little and keep increasing the time but I dont get anywhere with that as she barks the minute i am out of sight. I dont know what i should do at this point as her lips keep getting worse and i dont see it getting any better. I also live in WI so it is a high in the 20s during the day right now so everything i need to do with her has to be inside. I do play with her outside and stuff but i can't leave her outside when i go to work. I hope someone can help me out.

Ive never had a 9 wk old puppy so I won't be much help but from what I've read on the forum here most people keep the crate in their bedroom at night. Where are you keeping the crate? Also, can you put something in the crate that smells like you like an old T-shirt? Also, its only been a week- hopefully you will see more improvement as the puppy matures. What's your puppies name? We love pictures here so please post some
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

Puppy
    -image-jpg

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f150hunter For This Useful Post:

kelsyg (11-15-2014), WhoopsaDaisy (11-14-2014)

Puppy
    Here is a picture of her

Puppy

Puppy
    Here is a picture of the sore I am talking about. There is one on each lip like this.

Puppy
    Could you use a bark collar on a dog this young. I don't want to but the only way these are going to heal is if she doesn't bark any more.

Senior Dog
    Poor baby! This is a time for patience and small steps. Please do not try a bark collar; she's a baby that needs to learn, not be punished. You've only had her a week. I know that seems like forever for you, but it's really a very short time!

kimber hated her crate for a long time, but now she likes it fine. Where is the crate at night? Moving it into our bedroom made a huge difference.

During the day, perhaps you could use an exercise pen instead of a crate?
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

bett (11-15-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos