Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Dog

What's your favorite Thanksgiving dish?

For me, it's mashed potatoes. And for Thanksgiving, I go decadent and make Pioneer Woman's: Delicious, Creamy Mashed Potatoes | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

Nom nom nom.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Stuffing and Squash. Squash is a special treat because I love it, and Jake hates it, so I can justify making it when the family comes over
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Mmmm, those mashed potatoes sound fabulous! I make some killer gravy that would go well with mashed potatoes that aren't too dolled up- meaning bacon, cheese, chives, that sort of thing.

OK, I just spent the last 20 minutes looking for my Thanksgiving recipes and about to tear my hair out because they weren't where I thought they were. Now my heart rate is back to about normal. We're going to someone's house for TG so I hadn't looked for my recipes this year.

I use the following recipe to make turkey stock a few days before Thanksgiving and use it for anything I need turkey stock for on the big day. I think it has made a big difference in the flavor of my gravy and the gravy is a rich brown color, not the pallid, pale gravy I grew up with (sorry, Mom!) I could sit with a bowl of gravy and just eat that with a spoon. I do not add giblets to my gravy, don't care for them, but if you like it, hey, your call. The gravy is made pretty much the way you'd make any gravy, pour pan juices from the turkey into a cup or gravy separator. Skim off the fat and reserve if you want to use it to make the gravy. Add enough turkey stock to the pan juices to make 4 cups. Use 6 tbsp of fat and 6 tbsp of flour to 4 cups of stock and juice and make the gravy the usual way. Or use that ratio of fat and flour to stock if you want to increase the amount of gravy.

Homemade Turkey Stock Recipe | Epicurious.com

Now to put my Thanksgiving recipe binder with the rest of my cookbooks!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

I love stuffing but I'm really picky about what I like. I LOVE my mom's stuffing which has a bread crumb base with celery, apples, pecans, and craisins.
    I also love sweet potato casserole and cranberry sauce (the real stuff, not canned).

Aaah, the possibilities are endless! Corn pudding. Sweet potato casserole. Mashed potatoes with gravy (I have a similar recipe as Ree's but I think it includes sour cream). Dutch snap beans (a special recipe my Mom always made).

Stuffing. I can eat the whole casserole to myself!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Big Brother and Sister to:
    Leila Claire Hidden Content

Thumbs up for dressing.

Kimbersmom--I love the pioneer womens cookbooks. I have all three of them.
    Kathy--mom to:
    Mac--chocolate lab
    Scotty--Arabian gelding

No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses.
    (Herman Melville Redburn)

I discovered that mashed potato recipe years ago and make it a day ahead. I do NOT peel them. I prefer Yukon Gold but the russets do in a pinch. And mine calls for sour cream instead of half and half. Turkey was on sale last week so I made it again (our Thanksgiving is the second Monday in October) and had only cottage cheese in the house, no cream cheese. What the heck, not running out to the store just for cream cheese so I tried it with cottage cheese and it worked just fine. It still keeps several days. You can see the bits of cottage cheese in it and the taste is a bit different but just as good.

But my favourite is the stuffing which I add a wild rice casserole recipe to. Yummmmm.

Stuffing is by far my favorite. I make it with Italian Sausage, celery, onion, garlic, stock, butter, and sourdough bread.

Senior Dog
    my stuffing, (either one with every mushroom grown or sausage) loin of pork(lol) and corn pudding.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos