Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions about event etiquette and greeting

I was looking around but I was not sure where to properly place this post, so if someone knows where it needs to be moved to, by all means please do.

So I was interested in going to some of the events around the area to meet some of the Lab breeders, however, I have never attended a dog event of any kind so I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how exactly I should go about introducing myself. I plan on absorbing as much information as I can, but I realize there are probably time constraints and I don't want to be a nuisance to anyone. Is there usually an open forum time where everyone can mingle or do you wander around and just speak to whomever is free? I feel like it's my first day at school and I'm the obvious new person!

Thanks in advance

My best advice would be to get your post count up so that those who are knowledgeable can point you in the right direction. Trust me, there are some breeders you definitely want to stay far away from and not waste your time with. Those "in the know" that participate here will make sure you do not waste your time or end up with a broken heart. Best of luck to you!
    Last edited by Maxx&Emma; 11-21-2014 at 07:24 PM.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Lyra (11-22-2014)

Thank, I'm not in a hurry to get a puppy right now. I am doing a lot of research first, I already see some "debates" into breed particulars that I'm going to look into as well. There is so much I still need to look into, so I figured going to some events will be a good place to start.

I've gone to many shows, mainly conformation. If available, go to a benched show. That's were the area where the dogs are kept/groomed is open to the public. Unfortunately, there are not many of them.

I started by being at the show in time to see the labs which I find is usually early. After a time to settle down, I will walk quietly through the dog area. I've been lucky to meet some fantastic breeders who are more than willing to "talk the breed" and have introduced me to other breeders. Actually meeting the dogs is up to the breeder and I don't ask or press the issue. It's all about building a relationship with the breeders. Also remember, some dogs are shown by handlers and they are very protective of the dogs and may not just be showing labs but other breeds too and be very busy. Sitting ring/event side you'll get a good feeling for those you want to approach and those you don't. Never approach a breeder who is showing or waiting to show. Get a premium book which will show you who is showing, who are handlers, dog's name, owner name.

Go with the idea that you are going to watch the dogs show/event and anything more than that is icing on the cake.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Lyra (11-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyra View Post
    Thank, I'm not in a hurry to get a puppy right now. I am doing a lot of research first, I already see some "debates" into breed particulars that I'm going to look into as well. There is so much I still need to look into, so I figured going to some events will be a good place to start.
    I am glad you have time to research properly, many don't. There are several very reputable/responsible breeders here that would be very helpful to you. If you get your post count up enough to receive pm's I know they will do their best to guide you and answer any questions you might have. Maybe you will be lucky enough to meet some of them at shows! Joining a local Lab club is also a great thing to do.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    I am glad you have time to research properly, many don't. There are several very reputable/responsible breeders here that would be very helpful to you. If you get your post count up enough to receive pm's I know they will do their best to guide you and answer any questions you might have. Maybe you will be lucky enough to meet some of them at shows! Joining a local Lab club is also a great thing to do.
    I never thought to join a Lab club without having a dog, but I was going to contact them after Thanksgiving with some general questions anyways so I guess I can do that as well. It seems the more I look into Labs, the more interesting things come up and I have to keep doing more research.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    I've gone to many shows, mainly conformation. If available, go to a benched show. That's were the area where the dogs are kept/groomed is open to the public. Unfortunately, there are not many of them.

I started by being at the show in time to see the labs which I find is usually early. After a time to settle down, I will walk quietly through the dog area. I've been lucky to meet some fantastic breeders who are more than willing to "talk the breed" and have introduced me to other breeders. Actually meeting the dogs is up to the breeder and I don't ask or press the issue. It's all about building a relationship with the breeders. Also remember, some dogs are shown by handlers and they are very protective of the dogs and may not just be showing labs but other breeds too and be very busy. Sitting ring/event side you'll get a good feeling for those you want to approach and those you don't. Never approach a breeder who is showing or waiting to show. Get a premium book which will show you who is showing, who are handlers, dog's name, owner name.

Go with the idea that you are going to watch the dogs show/event and anything more than that is icing on the cake.
    Thanks, I was trying not to be the idiot that seemed to be hovering around everyone. I am not expecting to speak to everyone, but was hopeful if I could speak with at least one. I realize that it's the kind of situation where I am just now putting my foot in the door, and I have to work my way in slowly.

Senior Dog
    As long as you aren't interrupting someone who is about to go in the ring or obviously looks busy, then you wouldn't be doing anything wrong, and anyone who under those circumstances isn't willing to chat probably isn't the kind of person you want to have a relationship (even just as breeder and owner) with anyway!

Just be observant - for example, if you are at an Obedience trial, and the person is clearly focused on their dog, appears to be doing warm-up exercises, etc., then don't approach. If on the other hand they are relaxing in a chair ringside, with the dog on a relaxed down or in a crate, then by all means say hi. I don't go to many conformation shows, but the idea is the same.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
    As long as you aren't interrupting someone who is about to go in the ring or obviously looks busy, then you wouldn't be doing anything wrong, and anyone who under those circumstances isn't willing to chat probably isn't the kind of person you want to have a relationship (even just as breeder and owner) with anyway!

Just be observant - for example, if you are at an Obedience trial, and the person is clearly focused on their dog, appears to be doing warm-up exercises, etc., then don't approach. If on the other hand they are relaxing in a chair ringside, with the dog on a relaxed down or in a crate, then by all means say hi. I don't go to many conformation shows, but the idea is the same.
    Yeah, I know all about the importance of focus work. My pit mix was overly excited/sometimes aggressive toward other dogs and there was nothing worse than someone interrupting you while you are trying to work with your dog. So I am very mindful when I am out and about and I see someone working with their dogs to not approach them unless they ask me.

I think I will just attend a few and see how things work and just feel my way around. I've never attended anything formal like some of these shows and I didn't want to be a pain to anyone. Especially since a lot of advice I get is "go to some shows, talk to some breeders and start that way" and I have never done that.

You can go to the AKC and search on your state (or close by states) for dog shows in your area. Typically you can just go to watch and talk to people. Just be respectful of those about to enter the ring, they may not want to chat, but if they are sitting by their dog crates, feel free to approach.

American Kennel Club - Event and Awards Search

With you being in Maryland, you are lucky, in April, the world's biggest Labrador dog show is held in Frederick, MD, called the Potomac. It's the Labrador Retriever Club of the Potomac's annual show and it is like Westminster, only for Labs!!

LRCP - Potomac Specialty

If you want to see labs, from your area, from this country, and from all over the world, PLAN on attending this show.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos