Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone trained a service dog?

Hi

I am planning on traing Molly to be my service dog. I was wondering if any of you have any experiance in this area. I guess at the moment basic manners and socilazation are key.

If any of you know of anything else or can give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated. We are starting Classes in Jan seeing as she was too young to start before the holiday.

Thank you.

Are you training her to be a service dog for yourself? Training a dog to be a service dog is a big job.
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoopsaDaisy For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (11-22-2014)

Yes I was going to get all the basics down and the get help for the areas I have no clue how to train in.
    Last edited by Jollymolly; 11-22-2014 at 02:46 PM.

We got Luna with the goal of training her to be my service dog, but just having her and loving her has reduced my symptoms so much that I don't need her as my service dog anymore. I would reach out to a service dog organization near you (i.e. Guiding Eyes) and see if they have a trainer they recommend.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

emma_Dad (11-22-2014), Georgie (11-22-2014), Jollymolly (11-22-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post
    We got Luna with the goal of training her to be my service dog, but just having her and loving her has reduced my symptoms so much that I don't need her as my service dog anymore. I would reach out to a service dog organization near you (i.e. Guiding Eyes) and see if they have a trainer they recommend.
    I love hearing stories about dogs healing effects. I think they can have remarkable effects on our physical and psychological condition that has been under-explored in the medical area. Imagine a Doctor prescribing his patient to get a dog rather than take blood pressure medication.

What were your symptoms?anxiety (no need to mention if you prefer not to say).

Congrats! another example of the wonders of dogs!
    Trudy 6/16/11
    Gracie 6 years DSH cat
    Lily Lou rescue foster 2/10/14

I wish my doctors could prescribe me a trained service dog. That would be amazing. I am physically disabled. I have a trainer but he can not step in till she is much older to help with things like.
    Being able to help me up or cary bags. pick things up if I drop them and so forth.

Animals are amazing. Horses helped me walk again

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
    I love hearing stories about dogs healing effects. I think they can have remarkable effects on our physical and psychological condition that has been under-explored in the medical area. Imagine a Doctor prescribing his patient to get a dog rather than take blood pressure medication.

What were your symptoms?anxiety (no need to mention if you prefer not to say).

Congrats! another example of the wonders of dogs!
    I been diagnosed with 4 of the 5 possible anxiety disorders. Obsessive-compulsive is my biggest struggle. I also suffer from social anxiety, panic attacks and general anxiety. She has been a godsend.

And my horse saved my life. He was a therapy horse for people with mobility and neurological issues and I started volunteering with the organization he "worked" for. He retired after we met, I adopted him, and it's been a love story ever since. Animals are so powerful.

Since Molly is so young, I would recommend just getting an irreplaceable bond. Work with that bond. That's what helped the most with Luna... as soon as she knows I'm about to have a panic attack, she's right there and she lays on top of me (deep pressure is actually one of the recommended treatments for panic attacks). And I never taught her. She just knows how to help me and heal me. But mobility issues are different. But the bond comes first.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Georgie (11-22-2014), Jollymolly (11-22-2014), kimbersmom (11-22-2014)

My cat lays on my heart and purs during my panic attacks she is a great therapy cat.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

Georgie (11-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post
    We got Luna with the goal of training her to be my service dog, but just having her and loving her has reduced my symptoms so much that I don't need her as my service dog anymore.
    Whilst I don't need a service dog, I know that feeling. Before we brought home Bobby, I used to have crazy eczema flare ups all over my fingers that just seemed to get worse and worse to the point where it was difficult to write and I had to give up piano. It would itch, ooze and flake. Quite disgusting and embarrassing to look at, really. I had people ask whether I burnt myself. Just when I thought the flare up was finished and I was done slathering my hands in prescription corticosteroids and creams, it would flare again and again. GP sent me off to a dermatologist where I was only prescribed a stronger steroid. The nasty side-effects of long term use made me wary as well as, the fact that over time, my eczema would just grow a resistance to it and come back with a vengeance. The cycle would only continue and I didn't want that. I spent most of my time in depressive rumination which of course, only exacerbated it further. Turns out stress was a big trigger.

Brought home Bobby and he was the spawn of Satan. Most of you on the board have probably already read my stories and I thought he would only make my condition worse with his behaviour. Nope. In fact, I haven't had one of those crazy flare-ups for around 16 months. I've had a few minor ones but nothing that wouldn't resolve soon enough. Honestly, I think it was the distraction he gave me, how I always had to watch him, train him and play with him. I'm sure the physical exercise he forces me into does me good. Whenever I get stuck in one of my "moods", whilst he is not a very sensitive soul, he will come over and whack his furry tail in my face with a smile until I smile before he's off causing ruckus again. To date, I have yet to use the prescription from the dermatologist.

You don't get the dog you want, you get the dog you need.

Agree with doubledip1, work on that bond. Talk to them, stroke them, love them. The studies that show the mental, physical and emotional impacts our pets grant us always amaze me and keep me grateful for my cheeky Lab. I don't have any advice for training a service dog but good luck!
    Hidden Content

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Anonymous

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Halcyon For This Useful Post:

barry581 (11-23-2014), doubledip1 (11-23-2014), Georgie (11-23-2014), Jollymolly (11-23-2014)

No experience personally raising service dog, but I volunteered at school that trained them specifically for mobility and hearing disabilities. They used mostly golden, labs, and 2 great danes. The dogs has about 50-75% pass rate, to making it to full fledged service dog. No real training began till 18-24 months, by 9months-1 year all the dogs I met were better behaved then 98% of the population.

OP: If you're really looking into doing this, I suggest you find a mentor and tell yourself now that you're able to walk away from the idea of your pup becoming a SD at any point. Not all dogs have the temperament or the drive to be able to handle the stress and long hours required by SD.

Wish you the best of luck!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to emma_Dad For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (11-24-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos