Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar

Desensitizing the scene of the crime

My 6 1/2 month old puppy, Barley, was bitten a little over two weeks ago by a neighbor's dog while being walked by his owner. The bite was a big puncture wound and resulted in a trip to the vet and a 2 week course of antibiotics.

As a result - Barley goes nuts when we walk out of the house in that direction. The moment we turn right out of the house at the end of our hill, he lunges and barks. It gets worse if we continue in that direction. I know that fear is causing this behavior. I don't want to avoid this area forever - so any suggestions for calming in as he walks toward the neighbor's house?

Thank you!

-img_6945-1-jpg
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

Poor Barley. I would work on walking at heel, watch me and tons of treats and praise. As soon as the lunges and barks start, sit, watch me, praise, treats. It may take some time but he will gain his confidence back again. Go slowly and don't get discouraged.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Moby and Barley's Mom (11-25-2014)

Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar
    Ok! Thanks and will do. He is taking another series of classes since I had to miss so many. The trainer said about the same thing. I will try your suggestion tomorrow.
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

I've never had to do that, even after Oban was attacked by two neighbour dogs. So I'm guessing but I think I'd try lots and lots of attention and focus work so he's paying attention to you when he goes by that part. Leslie McDevitt's book, "Control Unleashed", is geared to fearful and reactive dogs as well as those that just simply have trouble holding a train of thought, we'd be the latter, LOL.

I'm not quite sure I can tell from what you say if Barley is really all that fearful. Which direction is he lunging? Towards the place he had that encounter? Or is he trying to avoid going there? It doesn't matter for the "games" as they are called in the book, the work you do is the same. It's nice, though, to understand exactly what's going on in your dog's head as much as possible.

Give the book a google. It's got a lot of good reviews. Ignore the offleash part, I use it on leash to get past a big, black nasty dog that always challenges us when we walk by his place. If I get Oban working the Look at That game (Who'zat dog? for us) before we hit that dog's yard Oban ignores him and consequently the dog ignores us too. The dog is behind his fence.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos