Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holistic Select

Holistic Select

Sam is finishing up his second big bag of Holistic Select dry food and I really see no difference in his body condition between Holistic Select and Pro Plan (which his breeder recommends and we fed most of his life). I can't decide whether to go back to Pro Plan or keep feeding Holistic Select. Sam happily eats anything so that's not a factor. Holistic Select is about $15 more a bag but that's not a huge deal. I always knew Sam did well on Pro Plan but I thought how do I know he's doing well if I've never fed anything else. Any thoughts on staying with Holistic Select or going back to Pro Plan?
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Senior Dog
    Which formula of the holistic select are you feeding? I would compare the protein and fat levels of each brand. Some of the Holistic Select formulas tend to be lower in protein...
    I would not want to feed an adult Lab anything less than 26% protein and 15-16% fat.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lovemylabby For This Useful Post:

EmmaJo11 (01-18-2015)

Funny - Charlie eats Holistic Select while Niner eats Pro Plan (both are the fish varieties). I am pretty happy with both, but I do think the 26/16 protein/fat in Pro Plan is better for Niner

nancy

I'm feeding the chicken and rice formula right now which is 24/15 protein/fat. The last bag I fed was the lamb and rice. It was 22/15. I would have kept him on the lamb but the only bag of lamb at the store was expired so I bought chicken. Sam does well on fish too. I like the Pro Plan SSS for him as well but DH complains that it stinks.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

LOL I am surprised my hubby hasn't complained about the smell. Charlie eats HS Anchovy Sardine and salmon meal. It says 22/12 on the bag , but the nutrient analysis is 25/ 13.5. It's not smelly like PP SSS. I can never find fresh bags unless I order from Chewy. They always have fresh bags

nancy

I'll have to check out Chewy. I like the pet store down the street from my house but I was kind of put off by their stock of Holistic Select. I loaded a bag of the lamb and rice into the cart, then noticed the expiration date was two weeks prior. I told the store manager and she said she would remove it from the shelf. I was just in the store buying canned food and looked at what Holistic Select they had on the shelf, and the same bag of expired food was still sitting there. I never had that problem with Pro Plan. Maybe HS just isn't as popular and doesn't move off the shelf as fast, but I refuse to feed expired food. IMHO that is totally not cool. Someone will end up buying it because they won't check the date.

I just thought of something... Sam only eats two cups of kibble a day, plus canned food as a topper and green beans. Would you buy a 15 pound or 30 pound bag based on this amount of kibble?
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
    I'll have to check out Chewy. I like the pet store down the street from my house but I was kind of put off by their stock of Holistic Select. I loaded a bag of the lamb and rice into the cart, then noticed the expiration date was two weeks prior. I told the store manager and she said she would remove it from the shelf. I was just in the store buying canned food and looked at what Holistic Select they had on the shelf, and the same bag of expired food was still sitting there. I never had that problem with Pro Plan. Maybe HS just isn't as popular and doesn't move off the shelf as fast, but I refuse to feed expired food. IMHO that is totally not cool. Someone will end up buying it because they won't check the date.

I just thought of something... Sam only eats two cups of kibble a day, plus canned food as a topper and green beans. Would you buy a 15 pound or 30 pound bag based on this amount of kibble?
    If the pet supply store you are shopping at has expired bags of Holistic Select on the shelf...it is not Holistic Select's fault, it is the owner's fault for leaving it there.

Many people don't buy the very large bags...so that's why it was probably sitting there with an expired date. I know I always buy the smaller bags for Toby...because I want to make sure they are always fresh.

I know I am spending more money this way...because it is really less expensive to purchase the larger bag.

I don't feel that Holistic Select is bad...I used to feed it to Toby for quite some time without issues...but now I find that I want a food with higher protein and fat levels.

Yes PP always has the freshest bags. I almost moved Charlie to it because I can never find holistic select around here usually. If I do it's old bags. Chewy is good about fresh bags.

nancy

Quote Originally Posted by lovemylabby View Post
    If the pet supply store you are shopping at has expired bags of Holistic Select on the shelf...it is not Holistic Select's fault, it is the owner's fault for leaving it there.
    I agree. It is definitely the store's fault. Unfortunately, as far as I know, this store is the only one around me that sells Holistic Select. I may have to give Chewy a try since the dates are so good.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Real Retriever
    Why not just rotate between the two, there's nothing wrong with that, and in fact, rotation is very good for them. Keeps them from becoming allergic to any one particular (repetitive) ingredient.

If I were feeding kibble and had a dog that could eat anything, I'd be rotating brands, formulas, etc every few bags. Exposing them to different vit/mineral mixes is very important, so they're not getting too much, or too less of any one thing.

I would also target for foods with a minimum of 26% protein; 22% protein, IMHO is too low for a young, active dog.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Woofie For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (11-30-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos