Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WoooWooo… back on the Food CrazyTrain!!

But… here is where I am. What I am looking for is someone to say "just stop it and go back to ProPlan."

Over the years I have fed everything from red bag Iams to Honest Kitchen…. but mostly high quality kibble. After some time being off "the board" I settled down to feeding Team Tater Pro Plan Sport (26/16) with great success. Great coats, great poops, all good. I can get it when we travel.

Some time ago, Buck got sick. Early one morning, in his crate… then several times in the next 24-36 hours. Kept him off his kibble for that time… then gave it to him when all seemed better and he vomited that. No diarrhea, no fever, no other symptoms so we didn't go to the vet. Once he had the day and a half to settle down, I got him some Fromm canned and Fromm whitefish kibble. He did GREAT. But that gets costly for two dogs so I did my research (mostly Dogfoodadvisor) and settled on Merrick. Even doing 1/2 wet and 1/2 kibble. And I have even used PP as the kibble with the wet being Merrick.

Boise can eat just about anything so she… and he… are doing fine on the Merrick but the only problems I see are (1) slightly softer poops and (2) stinky breath. Now I worry about their dental hygiene and I even got some of those Virbec chews to see if they help but now I am afraid to even try something like that!! they never had stinky breath on PP.

Hard to tell about their coats at this point… but when I know I have a coat problem, Boise's fur on her chest bottom gets thin and it is starting doing that. Since we are in SoCal we don't get heavy coats… and Boise's is a thinner sleeker coat anyway.

Now I really want to try Buck back on just PP kibble… but I am afraid. LOL…. Oh… and I did get those bowls (on raised holders) with raised things in them so they don't eat as fast.

And NONE of this is really a cost issue… Merrick is not a whole lot more expensive than PP.

Ahhhh… back on the food crazy train. What fun.

Senior Dog
    Maybe your original problem with proplan was related to the one bag, either contamination or rancid problems. If you retried using the same bag of food days later then you cannot be sure.

I say go back and give it a try as I wouldn't be happy with soft poos and bad breath, they're things you shouldn't ignore.

Good luck.
    Trudy 6/16/11
    Gracie 6 years DSH cat
    Lily Lou rescue foster 2/10/14

"Just stop it and go back to PP". We have two new pups after having 3 on pp for close to 15 yrs. I tried a bunch of different stuff for Anthony, he's a chocolate with a beautiful wavy coat. Finally went back to ProPlan select for sensitive systems after a few other trials that seemed to result in some hair loss et a l. I use merrick wet as a topper and he's thriving. I'm gradually switching Stella to it too. If it ain't broke.........

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doreen Davis For This Useful Post:

FENTON ACRES (11-29-2014)

Just stop and go back to Pro Plan. We use Sport 30/20 and haven't had any problems, but bad bags do happen.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Go back to PP. Use what works for Team Tater.

I'm currently feeding Fromm and would have to carry a lot of food if we traveled since it's not in every store.

Real Retriever
    Truthfully....I'm still not convinced, in regards to dog foods, if there is a total 100% difference from one brand to another. Most are sourcing their ingredients from the same areas, not all, but most.

If PP is what worked and dry food is the main source of their diet, then you have to do what works.

There was a time I fed Merrick grain-free pork without a single issue - no bad breath and in fact, Rivers coat looked awesome.

But, I stopped feeding Merrick well over a year ago - things might have changed since then, within the product. We stopped feeding it because it just wasn't worth the cost, no dry food was, in regards to Rivers.

He looks/acts so much better now, with what he's eating, that I would never contemplate feeding Merrick. Fromm didn't work well for him either, not for the cost.

Why not try PP sensitive skin and stomach Caroline? Niner's on it and has been for about 1 1/2 years. He looks great!

nancy

House Broken Candy and Spike's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy0 View Post
    Why not try PP sensitive skin and stomach Caroline? Niner's on it and has been for about 1 1/2 years. He looks great!

nancy
    But Nancy, the pic is so old, I don't even know if Niner and Charlie still exist...

I think I will use the PP sensitive skin one as a minimal topper for a while… maybe phase it out or maybe not depending on how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy and Spike's Dad View Post
    But Nancy, the pic is so old, I don't even know if Niner and Charlie still exist...

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos