Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone bought any sewing patterns lately?

I have boxes of patterns that I've had for years and whenever I want to sew something I always have a pattern for it. For Christmas I decided to make some purses for my daughters with some great material that I got. Well, I didn't have a pattern for the style of purse that I wanted to make and decided to go buy one. First of all, I couldn't get over how expensive they've gotten since the last time I bought one (it's been years). Here's my real problem with the patterns, though, the directions stink! They've changed how they explain things and it's as clear as mud! If I didn't have some knowledge of sewing I wouldn't be able to follow the pattern at all. Every step, just about, takes me some time to figure it out and sometimes I just end up doing what I think I should do because I can't understand what the directions are saying. Has anyone else had this problem with patterns or am I just getting old and my brain is slowing down?

I have not bought any patterns but I download a lot of knitting patterns from various internet sites. I spend nearly as much time looking up what this means or what that technique is and watching videos to explain what they mean as I do actually knitting the items. Thank goodness for the videos, sometimes the written instructions do not become clear until you've seen someone demonstrate it. I am sorry the patterns have changed so much, making it harder for you. I guess I won't be in any hurry to get my sewing machine back in working order. At least if you make it though one purse, you'll zip through the rest.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    i couldn't sew if my life depended on it. not even a button.
    i envy, in a way, that talent.

my mother was a knitter beyond knitters (like when we were kids vogue wanted her for their knitting magazine to design patterns) but hated sewing. a contradiction i guess, as she had to sew the sweaters together but i always heard the mumbling when the sewing box came out.
    nick does all the repairs in this house. it's his sewing box.

I buy my patterns off eBay... new ones are awful. I just swipe them from my aunts and grandma.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I agree. Patterns used to tell you the little techniques needed at certain spots to make finishing more professional and if you never learned them and don't know when to do them, or needed the reminder, the finished product probably won't look as nice. But I do think some tricks never were included in patterns.

I just caved in and bought a serger. Salespeople told me I could get my finished product to look "just like store bought." LOL, when I learned to sew looking like store bought was a sin you avoided at all costs. That's why we learned couture finishes. However it does take a lot of time to do couture finishes and a serged edge on a facing is good enough for me, and a big time saver.

I think instructions on everything has gone downhill. I've lucked out and bought patterns on sale at JoAnn's. The last time the sale was $1.99 on most patterns! I get patterns online, too. When the instructions are awful, I look it up online and there's usually a blog or youtube video that explains it better. I just bought a pattern for a zippered pouch that looks like a teacup (so cute!). The instructions were 17 pages long! After I read through it twice, I realized I could make it a lot easier.

Snowshoe, congrats on the serger! I have a friend with a serger and that's the next best thing. I don't have much need for one, but I'm sure that need would arise if I had one

Daisy and Miia, what kind of purses? I made some that turned out great but not in time for Christmas last year. They were purses with reversible covers. Versatile Wave Tote Bag Pattern by Susan Rooney Patterns I like the way they turned out, but it took me a while. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CraftHer View Post
    I think instructions on everything has gone downhill. I've lucked out and bought patterns on sale at JoAnn's. The last time the sale was $1.99 on most patterns! I get patterns online, too. When the instructions are awful, I look it up online and there's usually a blog or youtube video that explains it better. I just bought a pattern for a zippered pouch that looks like a teacup (so cute!). The instructions were 17 pages long! After I read through it twice, I realized I could make it a lot easier.

Snowshoe, congrats on the serger! I have a friend with a serger and that's the next best thing. I don't have much need for one, but I'm sure that need would arise if I had one

Daisy and Miia, what kind of purses? I made some that turned out great but not in time for Christmas last year. They were purses with reversible covers. Versatile Wave Tote Bag Pattern by Susan Rooney Patterns I like the way they turned out, but it took me a while. Good Luck!
    Here is the pattern I just got. M6045 | Bags | Accessories | McCall's Patterns

Sew a lot but have not bought a pattern in years. Often I adapt a pattern I already have. You're right, buying a pattern is complete sticker shock. Watch the sales at JoAnns, at least you can get a half way decent price.

A while back I wanted to make DD a Mrs Santa dress; the original one was lost in the fire. Did a quick hunt and could not find the pattern. Of course, it is no longer made but old ones sold on line for $60! No way! Went back and searched some more and found the old one.

Real Retriever
    I work at Joann's, actually, and the only time it is worth it to buy patterns is when they are on sale. About the instructions, I am convinced that they are written by monkeys.... If I can get through a pattern once, though, I can make it again!

House Broken
    I use to sew all the time, but not in years, the last pattern I bought was $6 and I thought that was too much but figured it had a jacket, skirt and pants all in one pattern. I crochet and machine knit and recently saw some "crocodile stitch" crocheted slippers I just fell in love with, so I hunted and found the pattern for $10, but decided not to buy it. I found a very similar pattern online that was free.
    If you have a JoAnn Fabric, close by, they usually have coupons for 50 or 60% off one item, I'd get a pattern with a good discount.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos