Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Murphys First AGILITY trial

Murphy and I have been training in agility since last April. I think we are ready for our first competition which is coming up Dec. 12-14. Yeah, I'm scared!!!! I'm pretty sure Murphy is going to run around like a crazy dog and not come back to me when called. Basically, I'm preparing for the worst possible scenario, so if any better happens, it is a success!!!

So, I come to you my dear lab friends, any words or wisdom for a first timer here? Murphy is my very first dog, so this is all very new to me. Do you have a checklist that you use when going to competitions? For example, some told me to always bring an extra leash and collar in case one breaks. Any advice to take the worries out of this would be greatly appreciated!!!

We really are having a lot of fun with this and I hope it continues.

Thanks!

good luck! i haven't gone to an agility trial so no advise

Can give you any advise as I've got no experience with agility but I wish you good luck

My advice, both of you have fun. Whatever happens, it's a learning experience.

The 14th is soon!!! Good luck!

I would do a lot of heal work at the trial before his turn with treats to get him focussed on you, maybe practice a trick routine - helps him focus.

Use the practice jump, and make sure you give a cookie for every time he jumps it, I practice start line stays on the practice jump every time.

Be sure to start the routine of treats before his turn, and treats immediately after, or a game of tug, or sometime which is super special to him (absolutely immediately after his turn). This gives the dogs a good purpose to finish the course and want to be leashed up quickly .... I use Lunds/Bayleys $5 Cluck and debone and freeze into small containers for trials.

Don't get frustrated or angry at him if he goes a little wild, if you have many runs in the day like in CPE or NADAC and your first course is out of control, maybe just do 3 or 4 obstacles successfully on your next course and run off and treat him and have an "good boy" party. If this is an AKC trial and he does end up being wild, enter CPE or NADAC so you can get a lot more turns in the day to practice staying with you, don't be scared to forfeit a run by only doing a few obstacles successfully and running off.

If the first few months are tough if it not uncommon, so don't feel you are alone. My first agility dog would go say hi to the ring crew and jump on the judge, my second was extremely focussed and I had zero issues .... but that could have been me being more experienced or the personality of the dog.

Maybe he will suprise and be a total rock star on his first go around.

Good Luck!!!!
    Last edited by fidgetyknees; 12-02-2014 at 10:42 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fidgetyknees For This Useful Post:

Murphy030813 (12-03-2014)

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    I have a bag that stays with us packed usually for our dog. It has a ton of gear in it because not only do we compete in agility but we are also busy with search and rescue - I just have a big gear bag with all his things in it so I know I don't forget stuff.

For agility and shows, I always have another collar - we use deval chains - they disappear under his coat - they never snag, he doesn't wear tags so no jingle jangle etc. I always bring two different tabs - a short leather one a couple inches with a finger loop, and a little longer one with a handle. I usually bring a traffic lead about 1 and a half feet long, as well as a full length 6 ft lead.

I bring his favorite bait and treats - never use food on the course obviously...I always bring more than enough food, water, collapsible bowls, etc.

I bring his working jacket as well as ID - whenever we are at a show or event (especially with the team) our dogs (even though not everyone has a working dog) will wear working dog capes - it keeps people and usually their dogs away from ours. I have his cape on along with our ID on me.

A crate always comes with us - we set up tents (if it's an outdoor event) and sun shades etc for all of our crates. Dogs are crated between shows to rest etc.

I always bring some grooming equipment. Brushes, spray shampoos etc. They just help spread oils in the coat and clean the dog up - I always like to have him looking his best - especially during shows when people get the chance to meet our dogs. People are always excited to meet a lab as fast as ours (and the only lab on the team).

I always bring a first aid kit - it's just a basic dog one but it has more than enough for minor treatments. Our trainer has an extensive kit in the truck as well as a small pharmacy . Injuries happen during agility. During our shows, our dogs walk ladders , run up ramps and jump other dogs (usually 5,6,7,8 dogs or more) and slips and accidents happen - we consider how many shows in the day, how the dogs are acting, and we watch closely to make sure we aren't pushing them to far...accidents will happen though and we just need to be prepared to deal with anything as it happens. Metacam is something we use often.

Don't be nervous and just have fun. That is the best advice I can give. Agility is fun. From my experience, most people just wan't to have fun and will be happy to talk and chat and share stories etc. Yes, there are some really rude **** that just take it too seriously and are too intense - just ignore them. If your dog acts up, don't get mad or frustrated...just laugh it off - play it off as funny. Nothing is worse than watching someone get frustrated and take it out on the dog or themselves. Accidents happen...in my experience people will laugh with you, not at you.

As I'm sure you know throughout your training, dogs are very eager to run. Try your best to keep your dog calm. Warm up with some simple obedience. Usually, I'll pull my dog off to the side, clip a leash on, and pace back and forth, left turns, right turns, swings, foose, heel, sit, down, stay, on your feet stay, all transitional work to warm them up for a couple of minutes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xracer4844 For This Useful Post:

Wishing you & Murphy the best of luck!!
    Darcy Litzinger
    Hidden Content
    UKC CH Hayshaker's Kinderwood Charmed One CD PCD RA CGC aka Piper, born 12/21/2008
    Am GCH CH UKC CH Hayshaker Kinderwood Where R U Xmas CD RN aka Faith, born 12/24/2009
    Am CH Kinderwood Peppermint Mocha aka Mocha, born 12/21/2011
    Kinderwood N Hayshaker's Funhouse aka Pink, born 03/19/2013
    Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LabLady101 For This Useful Post:

The most important items to me are leashes and collars, water and a water dish, several sandwich bags of yummy treats, and comfortable shoes. If I have those things, it's all good. One thing I wish someone had told me when I started agility: don't worry about whatever happens in the ring! When I was new, I thought everyone was watching me, and I was the only one who had ever had a dog act silly or poop in the ring. It's not true! Just go and have a blast with your dog. It's a lot of fun! Good luck!
    UACHX Remi AX AXJ MXPB MXP3 MJPB MJP4 NF
    Rookie, PE (puppy extraordinaire)

**Waiting at the bridge***
    UGRACH2 Jill CD OA OAJ NAP NJP JJ-R, 6/26/01-10/24/14...miss you, girlie.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LabraGal For This Useful Post:

Murphy030813 (12-04-2014)

Good luck, have fun. No advice, I'm the type who is cool as a cucumber beforehand but freezes up in the ring and then doesn't remember what I did, right or wrong.

Senior Dog
    Good luck!

I do Obedience, not Agility so don't have any sport specific advice, but the one thing that always helps me keep things in perspective is to remind myself that "There's always another dog show". This isn't life or death, end of the world stuff - if it doesn't go the way you want, then you know what to work on when you get home and you can always try again!
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (12-06-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos