Leash barrier triggers aggression, not other dogs

Our eight-month-old Bulldog is leash aggressive. He is extremely friendly when playing off leash. During walks, if he sees another dog he lunges, barks and snarls. His trainer says that neutering will calm him, reducing his desire to get to other dogs and fix his reactivity. Will neutering cure his aggression?

Dogs that are leash aggressive seem to have two contradictory personalities. When on leash, they lunge and bark. Some escalate to the point of growling and biting at anyone who reaches in to redirect the behaviour. As aggression goes, it is also one of the easiest problems to treat because these dogs play well with others when off leash.

That is the hallmark of leash aggression. The barrier triggers the aggression, not the other dogs. The dog is frustrated with the restrictions and barriers that are inherent with being on leash. They do not need to learn how to play with other pets. Leash aggressive dogs need to learn how to get to what they want without charging and lunging.

A typical program usually teaches the dog to focus on its owner in a quiet location. Treats reward appropriate behaviour. Distractions are added systematically. Eventually, owners transition to real-life rewards. For example, freedom to play with a friend is given to the dog as a reward for walking politely.

As for neutering, it can help some behaviour problems. Leash aggression is not one of them. Barrier frustration has nothing to do with reproductive status. It is all about the leash and the barrier that it creates for the dog. No surgery is going to eliminate the dog’s desire to play. Eight-month-old dogs are essentially teenagers. Their bodies are nearly full grown, but they retain the energy and determination of youth.

The answer to leash aggression is training, time and patience. Neutering is not a panacea — a cure all.
    Neutering is birth control. Many owners neuter their dog so they can enjoy their pet without the risk of an unwanted litter. There are health considerations, best discussed with a veterinarian. Just do not expect neutering to treat leash aggression.
    From: Pet Owners Manual: Leash barrier triggers aggression, not other dogs | Toronto Star

This was in the Saturday paper and since there have been several threads about this kind of behaviour I thought I'd put it here. If you check the link the other question answered that day is interesting too and has also been on here a fair bit. I like the column this lady does once a week.

ok YES for some dogs it is barrier frustration and they want to go see the other dog. I think my penny fits that at times (not a big deal for su though). in the situation above it sounds like quite possibly the issue is the restraint (inability to get to the other dog) that makes the dog get wroked up to a growl and lunge.

BUT my gosh, some dogs are reactive on leash BECAUSE OF THE OTHER DOG. they are fearful of dogs often and are reacting to the dog. that is insantiy to say it's NEVER the other dog.

Also - that trainer needs to go (the one that said to neuter and that will calm the dog down). what false information and totally unhelpful

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos