Puppy

Teaching to quarter closer

I have a I yr old Lab female. She will retrieve anything is fairly steady. I bought her so my grandson and I could hunt Birds. When I bought her I said I wanted a pet first hunting dog second. She has the pet part down. She is part of the family and sleeps inside. She s trained a crate.
    Ok so we took her on her first hunt. We have used dead birds to hide and let her hunt Them, but this was her first live bird hunt. She did great finding and flushing two birds then retrieving them like a pro. Then she got a bit excited and got to far ahead flushing birds out of range of the guns.
    we had only set three bird so it wasn't terrible. So how do I train her to stay closer. We have never used a shock caller.

Sounds like some advice from IrishWhistler is needed here.

Puppy
    Ok so it turns out I just didn't have enough faith in the dog. I took three of my grandsons bird hunting Last Sunday. That's what they wanted for Christmas. I was very unsure that Bella (our 11/2 yr old female lab) would do the job and had plans to use the guy who runs the Preserves pointer. I had them set 11 chuckers. Bella went to work like a pro. I didn't carry a gun just took care to keep Bella close. She found 10 of the 11 and retrieved them to my hand. Then I had 10 more set she found 9 retrieving them like she was supposed to and she got more confident with every bird. The wounded birds were so much fun to watch her chase them down determined to get her prey. She is a small Lab @ 50# . I had three pheasants set one for each grandson. Even though Bella was tired she found all three. It took her a while to figure how to get the bigger birds in her mouth but soon solved the problem delivering them to my hand.
    I had no experience training any dog. I guess it's true that good blood lines make great dogs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Papaw For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (12-31-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos