Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: probiotic

probiotic

I would like to add a probiotic to Benellis food. I've only had him 3 weeks and I'm not playing the food Rollercoaster game. He's on half merrick puppy and half health extention original transitioning him to all health extention.

He's on 2 cups am 2 cups pm which I just started bc he wasn't gaining talked to the vet and he said increase the food a bit he was getting 1 1/2 twice a day. His poops are ok slightly soft.

I mix some pumpkin in his food as well. He did have Giardia he was on a week of Flagyl. Thought about adding a probiotic to help given I'm sure he wasn't eating the best before we got him. Hoping it will help settle his gut.

Thoughts and what probiotic do you give your labs?

Luna gets 1 scoop of Probios powder once a day mixed in to her food. She travels a lot and is always going somewhere new and exciting and it really helps her.

I would try a probiotic and the pumpkin for a while. Moving to a new home is very stressful.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Whichever one you try, I'd recommend going slowly....some dogs (ahem...my two) can't handle too much probiotic without intestinal issues.

When Rio was a pup he used to have loose stool pretty regularly (one a week or so). The vet recommended putting him on FortiFlora every day and that worked like a gem. It was getting expensive so i started trying it every other day, then every 3 days. now it is twice a week. Like luna, he is always in new places and getting into God knows what when he's playing, so it's beneficial.

I've used FortiFlora in the past as well. I can't honestly say it was the source of my pup's improvement because she was also taking tylosin at the time. The diarrhea and loose bowels did go away. When I'd given the FortiFlora for a couple weeks after the antibiotic ended, I stopped it. I had an extra box that I was going to offer to send you but it's 7 months past it's "best by" date.

I chose FortiFlora because there are many probiotics on the market and I didn't know which one to select. I found a study somewhere that FortiFlora, which is made by Purina, and one or 2 other ones, maybe made by the Iams company, were the only ones of 20 some in the study that had the number of colonies it claimed, the labeling etc were correct, stuff like that. Before the crash, there were a number of threads on probiotics and I know there are many others that people had used. I can't find that article right now but here's one that cites the study without actually giving the source. https://omicsonline.org/2157-7579/215...S1.002-026.pdf
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

I use Primal Defense Ultra by Garden of Life, the dogs and I all take one a day.

Kathy W
    Only one I have given to Max is Fortiflora .

When Oban was recovering from IBD and a human friend was recovering from heart surgery and had received high doses of good bacteria killing antibiotic both were told the probiotic in yogurt and similar things was not enough and they got acidophilus capsules.

Oban is quite recovered now and I give him a dollop (LOL, which is probably about a couple of TBSP) of yogurt or Kefir a couple of times a week, or more, as maintenance. He didn't like the yogurt when he was sick but now he will gobble it up.

Last time I bought this one:

Liberté Organic non effervescent Plain Kefir | Liberté

It's quite high in calcium but I do tend to feed it the days he gets meaty bones and I need something to hold the Chinese medicine pills he's still getting.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandeLSM View Post
    When Rio was a pup he used to have loose stool pretty regularly (one a week or so). The vet recommended putting him on FortiFlora every day and that worked like a gem. It was getting expensive so i started trying it every other day, then every 3 days. now it is twice a week. Like luna, he is always in new places and getting into God knows what when he's playing, so it's beneficial.
    Our vet also recommended FortiFlora for Lola when she was recovering from a bout of Giardia. We've stuck with it daily for over a year with great results. It might be time to dial it back to three times a week. You can buy it on Amazon for a lot less than the vet or other sources.
    Hidden Content

Just another day at the beach.....

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    When Oban was recovering from IBD and a human friend was recovering from heart surgery and had received high doses of good bacteria killing antibiotic both were told the probiotic in yogurt and similar things was not enough and they got acidophilus capsules.

Oban is quite recovered now and I give him a dollop (LOL, which is probably about a couple of TBSP) of yogurt or Kefir a couple of times a week, or more, as maintenance. He didn't like the yogurt when he was sick but now he will gobble it up.

Last time I bought this one:

Liberté Organic non effervescent Plain Kefir | Liberté

It's quite high in calcium but I do tend to feed it the days he gets meaty bones and I need something to hold the Chinese medicine pills he's still getting.

I use the fave 0% fat Greek yogurt. It has the lowest level of calcium that I've found. I give Sophie a big spoonful once a day. Bruce will start when he go on adult food at 15 months. I do give him a little once or twice a week, or let him lick the spoon. I used Fortiflora when they had coccidiosis a couple months ago.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos