Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Biting, Nipping, Teething Oh My!!!!

I know it's been said that pups will grow out of this phase but I feel it's now getting out of control especially since her baby teeth have started falling out (at least it looks like they have). She turns 4 months old next week. We have tried everything in trying to get her to stop biting/nipping and nothing has worked. Not sure how much more my arms can take it. I don't have a dog, I have a baby shark!!!!

Needless to say, tensions are a little high in my house right now. She starts puppy school next week and I am hoping this can get addressed.

Any further advice would be highly appreciated

Molly is about the same age as your pup. I started using her food and teaching her gentle. This improved the mouthy bity ouchy bites. I do a lot of standing around not paying attention to her and giving her part of her daily food for good behaviour. We do a bit of training before each meal. of gentle and take it or leave it, there is another thread on the forum I read all about tips on biting and mouthy pups. When I first started coming here that was the main reason. I have never had quit as mouthy a puppy ever.

I do use Bully stix and Kongs filled with goodies to keep her busy chewing things other than me too.

Hope this helped good luck

With mine, the biting seemed to improve once their baby teeth had fallen out. Maybe it was just that they weren't so dang sharp once the grown up teeth came in or they were getting old enough to understand what we were trying to teach them. I don't remember where that thread on biting is, but it no doubt has some good recommendations so it would be worth seeking out.

I know that people often recommend keeping something close by to put in their mouth. Um, yeah. My younger puppy wasn't as big a nipper as my older one was but she liked to snatch at our clothes, pants, hems, sleeves. I started handing her empty toilet paper rolls to carry around. She still sleeps in a crate at night and looks for her TP roll when she comes out in the morning. Both my dogs like to chew on cardboard, maybe I taught them that!

The shark months are so hard. Hang in there, be consistent in your corrections, things will get better.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Here is that post: Puppy biting!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

emma_Dad (12-07-2014), Jollymolly (12-05-2014), kimbersmom (12-06-2014)

Amen to shark teeth falling out. I remember being right where you are now. I still have scars to show but it will be better when they fall out. The new ones aren't as sharp but I think it was really when he really learned to be gentle with skin. Hang in there, it's almost over.

Real Retriever
    My black gas, Sunshine, was a spawn of satan land shark for 4 weeks. Like you, nothing I tried seemed to help. Finally, around 16 weeks old something I had tried many times before finally worked. This was just leaving her outside, on the porch, all alone if she started biting.

I also found a lot of her naughty behavior was due to excess energy. Even that young she would NEED 3 or 4 hours a day of off leash run like a nut time. We would go to the lake or in the woods and I would just let her run it off. I'd guide her around with a let's go over here, let's go over there, what is this?, go hunt this item up... She also LOVED to destroy things! Not eat them, just tear them into little pieces. I chose sticks. She had a piece of firewood inside that she could take on her blanket and go to town on. Outside, if she got too worked up she would attack small trees. And I mean literally attack and destroy them! Any tree 2" or less in diameter she made short work of. She would bit it until it fell, then work the stem, biting off all the branches. When finished she went back to the 'stump' and brought it to ground level.

I was worried it would make her 'hard mouthed' later, but at 3 YO now she can have a very gently retrieve. Actually, around 1.5 YO she started to learn to be gentle. Today, she will still get the need to work a piece of wood over now and again, if she gets herself too worked up.

Hang in there!!! It really does pass!!

Best Friend Retriever Gibbysmom's Avatar
    Stay strong and persistent.......Try and keep her tired out.

Mine is 5 mos, still bites some but it is getting better. We found putting a bone or toy in that little biting mouth helped.

My lab is 19 weeks old. He has gotten so much better over time. +1 on the redirection and exercise. That worked for me.

Wear them out, mentally and physically!! A sleepy puppy is a happy owner.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos