Thread: hope this works

hope this works

Benelli hasnt gained any weight since I got him he's still 58lbs. His stools are loose. I thought maybe it was just diet change stress and the giardia.

I talked to my vet but he was quick to put him on a prescription diet. I don't want to put him on bc he's already ate not so great food.

I got a second opinion with a nutritionist. The plan is feed him 4 small meals of 1 cup of kibble plus a mixture of a gf duck wet food scrambled egg rice/pasta and pumpkin along with a probiotic.

She also gave me a recipe for high protien treats to make with raw hamburger eggs oats wheat germ there was other things too roll into balls and freeze.

If he doesn't start gaining then she wants to do testing to see if he doesn't have sometime of dificiency.

Good luck!
    Hidden Content

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Anonymous

Fingers crossed it works!
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

That ingredient list sounds similar to some Satin Balls recipes people have mentioned in the past to use to help dogs gain weight. Holistic Dog - Satinballs Satin Balls I hope it helps. How much weight are you hoping for him to gain? Were his stools more normal when he was on whatever he took to treat the giardia? Has he had normal stools at all since you've had him? Must be so frustrating!

My daughter's dog gets a couple teaspoons of Metamucil on her food to help keep her stools within normal limits but she's been tested up the wazoo, literally, and is known to have IBD, nothing infectious, nothing like pancreatic insufficiency. She's also been on prescription food for years, diarrhea every time she gets anything to eat other than her food.

His stools havent been normal since I got him almost 4 weeks ago. They were a tad better on the Flagyl but still mushy.

Today was the first they were the most formed still not great but Def better.

Yes Satin balls is what it is. She told me to freeze them and give them as treats.

Vet said he could use to gain about 10lbs and hoping to get some muscle weight on him as well. She said he is lacking muscle.

I got him Zignature duck wet food. He gets a tablespoon with his cup of dry, rice/pasta, pumpkin, eggs and probiotic. Haven't started the probiotic yet have to order it from my work we only have the cat in stock.

House Broken
    My dogs love satin balls. And they will put on weight. Be careful not to mix these raw treats with kibble or cooked food. They digest raw differently than cooked/kibble and that can cause upset and vomiting. Giardia and the treatment for it can really mess with their gut. Both of ours have had it unfortunately multiple times. You can also give him yogurt for probiotic. My dogs love it. If this diet doesn't work you could also try raw prey model 80 % muscle meat, 10% organ meat and 10 % bone. The bone will firm up stools.

Sending good thoughts that this works for him.

I hope your plan works. Between the giardia and a new home it is no wonder the poor sweetie is having issues. I bet he will be up to an ideal weight in no time with your wonderful care! It can be amazing how quickly they turn around when they realize they are safe and forever home.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

sheltieluver (12-11-2014)

You know Oban had IBD and neither Flagyl nor Prednisone helped at all. Oban's recovery diet from his Holistic Vet was cooked ground turkey and cooked sweet potato, about 60/40 respectively. Along with Chinese herbs. The turkey/sweet potato is also favoured by Dr. Karen Becker at Mercola. She does not like rice and our new Vet doesn't either. The cooked rice with cooked chicken and then cooked rice with cooked ground beef (boiled really, the chicken, beef and later the turkey) had no good effect on Oban. For your consideration, worked for us.

Pet Diarrhea Causes, Symptoms and Treatment

How old is Benelli and what weight do you think he should be? Can you see his ribs?

Lola went through several bouts of Giardia (thankfully she kicked it) when she was around 1. Before and after the giardia, we were trying to find the right food and dealing with loose stools. We ended up having Lola tested for food allergies and the list came back a mile long. We have since modified her diet, add pumpkin, and use a daily pro-biotic. Excellent results. Btw - Lola's weight is perfect, at 58 lbs...but she's pretty small.
    Hidden Content

Just another day at the beach.....

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos