Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your Favourite Trick

I admit, I've been slack in training with homework, assignments, exams and tests piling up towards the final stretch of the year. I've managed to keep up with physical exercise but lowered Bobby's mental training to regular drills of basic commands which I'm currently proofing with more distractions and new environment, his Kong Wobbler and games of "find it." Loose leash walking is improving although, we need to work on his "butt wiggle" whenever he pulls and we want to turn around. Aside from regular obedience, I find trick training highly enjoyable but unfortunately, have run out with ideas.

Everyone always gets a kick out of the "play dead" trick so I guess, that's our favourite one. Although, I was pretty impressed when Bobby did four "roll overs" in a row. What we need are some trick ideas, and I thought, who better to turn to than the board?

So, what's your favourite trick?
    Hidden Content

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Anonymous

Everyone seems to get the biggest kick out of watching Sophie do the low crawl. I must admit it pretty cute to watch!

Low crawl, "high five" (both hands up in the air sitting on her haunches), we're working on "hold it" (holding an object in her mouth). And I taught her to run around my right leg and sit between them, it comes in very handy for situations like the farmer's market.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    He can do a lot of tricks as we are a performance drill, obedience, agility, trick team haha but probably the hardest to teach him was a sit up and the bow. It's hard because you need to keep working it to build strength in the back etc for them to hold it long enough. Sit up is butt on the floor, front paws up and back strait. Bow is front paws and head on the ground, back legs standing tall butt in the air. It took our boy a while before he had enough strength to hold it.

A trick our trainer taught us was that it's important to train them how to balance in this positions because that gives them the most strength. I would train him up on a show block or something and after the command, I would walk all around him in different directions having him focus on me. He had to rotate his body while balancing in a sit up. Also working it from a distance is important - during shows, there are times when we are 20 feet away.

My fav with Opie is "where's my hat?" Or "take out the trash"

We've trained Thor with both vocal and visual commands. It's interesting that he responds to my husband more with spoken commands, but with me he responds best to visual commands (if I say 'lay down' he sometimes ignores me, but if I point at the floor, our paired hand command, he'll do it instantly). Anyways, when my husband was teaching 'speak', he paired the bird as the hand command. It's a fun party trick - I tell people to go flip off my dog and he'll bark at them.

The best part is that the neighborhood kids know this one, but they were taught using their pointer finger.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

I love the "bring it to ______" command. Usually it is bring it to daddy! We try to do this with everything we can think of. Keys, mail, cans of pop, bags from the store.

Bacon's favorite is Touch. Hold out your hand, say touch, and he will jump to touch his nose to your hand.

He is also a pro at "hold it".
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

is "low crawl" the same as crawl?

I'd love to see some videos! Probably 2 of my favs with Mocha is Treat on His Nose and MochaWhip.

"MochaWhip" was filmed about a year ago. Not surprisingly, this wasn't hard to teach

"Nose Catch" is another favorite. This is really a variation of "wait". He's realizing now that he gets the treat whether he waits or not.

Quote Originally Posted by CraftHer View Post
    I'd love to see some videos! Probably 2 of my favs with Mocha is Treat on His Nose and MochaWhip.

"MochaWhip" was filmed about a year ago. Not surprisingly, this wasn't hard to teach
    Hahaha! I thought the "MochaWhip" referred to his tail what a surprise I got when I watched it.

Quote Originally Posted by xracer4844 View Post
    He can do a lot of tricks as we are a performance drill, obedience, agility, trick team haha but probably the hardest to teach him was a sit up and the bow. It's hard because you need to keep working it to build strength in the back etc for them to hold it long enough. Sit up is butt on the floor, front paws up and back strait. Bow is front paws and head on the ground, back legs standing tall butt in the air. It took our boy a while before he had enough strength to hold it.

A trick our trainer taught us was that it's important to train them how to balance in this positions because that gives them the most strength. I would train him up on a show block or something and after the command, I would walk all around him in different directions having him focus on me.
    Interesting, I found the "bow" easy to teach and get him to hold. The biggest obstacle when teaching it was luring into a bow and not a "down" as he often did. The "beg" or "sit up" command was a lot harder. To this day, we're still working on getting him to hold it. By the way, what's a "show block"?

MightyThor, that's funny! When we jokingly tease Bobby, he has a tendency to bark back.

BaconsMom,
    I remember the "touch" video on Instagram. Very impressive. When I put my hand up high, Bobby debates whether to jump or not since I don't encourage it. Although, I wish he'd show more hesitance when it comes to visitors. I like the "bring to ___" command. Sounds very useful.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos