Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chocolate lab

chocolate lab

hi,i have a 10 year old chocolate lab,yesterday my dog started almost like coughing and throws up mucas,he still eats normally and drinks water,but during eating he gets that cough ,my wife takes away his bowl,he stops with the cough almost immediately,she puts the bowl back down ,finishes his food but starts with the cough again,My last lab got bloat but this one isn't showing the signs like the other one,he eats like normal,goes out to the bathroom,any ideas?

The best thing to do is a vet check up at your earliest convenience. There are any number of things that could be wrong and asking strangers to diagnose via the internet is not a good idea. In the mean time, until you can get in to the vet, try elevating the food bowl and see if that helps at all. Best of luck to you!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I am tomorrow,the bowl is elevated,both the water and food bowl,just looking for ideas until then,a couple of years back,my neighbor who was from puerto rico thought it was a good idea to give my dog a pork bone,never told me but my dog just kept throwing up ,I had to bring him to the emergency vet,weeks later and $2500 poorer I found out in conversation with the guy that he had done this shortly after he moved,now I let the dog out,he goes running to the other side of the yard and my son seems to think the old man from Poland is feeding the dog something,I don't know why all these people feel the need to feed my dog,don't really even talk to these people not on the best of terms

Oh no, that is awful! I would be very upset if someone fed my dogs anything without clearing it with me first. Hopefully your vet will be able to figure out what is going in. Is you dog on heartworm meds? My first thought with coughing, as long as there are no other health issues, would be LP. It is fairly common in Labs as they age. Hopefully your vet can figure it out tomorrow, good thoughts it isn't anything serious.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I just read up on L P ,the symptoms don't seem to match,he has no problem wolfing down his food or his water,but I could be wrong,he hasn't had his heartworm tho
    Last edited by jules; 12-12-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: just read up on answer

went to the vet 1st thing this morning,just a bout with gastritus,gave hime a shot and some pepsid ac doing much better today,back to his old self,thanks everyone

Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar
    Have you considered doing a "yard check" first before letting your dog out in the yard, if you suspect that a neighbor is feeding? If it were me, I would want to know without a doubt if this were happening.
    Whether it were real food, or something dangerous to the dog, this should be stopped immediately, and if you can't stop it, you do have the power and responsibility to get to it first and remove it to protect your dog. Maybe it's an inconvenience, but so what.

good idea,thanks and also my back yard seems to be a gathering place for the neighborhood cats in the late hours of the night/morning so I don't know if they are doing to the bathroom,if any of these cats are sick,there was racoons back there too
    Packer

Glad he is okay

the cough came back yesterday, dry hack,no more throwing up of mucus and so far since last night no cough,thinking of getting him a muzzle to put on before he goes out so he can't eat anything when he does go out,thanks for all the well wishes
    Packer

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos