Thread: Benelli update

Benelli update

He has settled in nicely. I can't believe we have had him a month tomorrow. His crate anxiety has dwindled down. He still barks sometimes but nothing like before. Yesterday I went shopping with a friend from work. I was only planning on being gone 3 maybe 4 hours well I was gone almost 7. He has never been in a crate that long. Most I left him was 3. I left his Kong wobbler with his lunch in it and some treats and a frozen peanut butter bone. He was sleeping when I peaked in the window. He made it 7 hours in a crate and wasn't showing any signs of anxiety. I came in didn't look at him put my packages away made him sit and wait until he settled to let him out.

We then went outside and I let them play for an hour and a half to burn off the energy. He came in and crashed after.

The trainer was supposed to come today but shes sick she said if shes feeling better then she will come this afternoon. I've been working with him myself and he is super smart. He is starting to actually look at me now when we are training intead of ignoring me. Hes got waiting at doors down, sit we are working at stay and come is his biggest challenge.

Right now he wears a leash in the yard because sometimes hes good at coming in but if he doesn't want to he runs from me and now me going inside and leaving him out there doest work. He used to panic and come looking but now he could care less. Hes super fast so I can step on the leash.

Hes shown no signs of aggression exept with food but not to me. He eats in his crate anyway but if one of my other dogs go to sniff it he will growl.

Hes super lovable and everyone gets along nicely.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sheltieluver For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (12-14-2014), doubledip1 (12-14-2014), kelsyg (12-14-2014), MikeLynn (12-14-2014), POPTOP (12-14-2014), Snowshoe (12-14-2014)

Wonderful update! Practice, practice, practice - they do love a job. I learned from someone on this board to come up with a special word for 'come right NOW' and it has been a life saver. I use 'touch' for when Gabby is being stubborn or dashing to something she shouldn't be. She knows that word means business and she runs to touch my hand...big praise and a treat for that!!

What a fantastic update! Sounds like Benelli is settling in really well, and it's great that he did so well in his crate for that long. The rest will no doubt come with time and practice.

The trainer did come over today and things went great. She basically told me I was doing all the right things and it was just going to take time and being consistant. She showed me a better way to walk him with an EZ walk harness and a long training leash. She told me he basically has to the end of the leash I keep walking and tell him follow me if he pulls then I go the other direction saying follow me. We didn't work that long before he didn't even get to the end of the leash and was following me.

She showed me things to get his attention on me and ramdomly calling him and rewarding and using the watch me command randomly. She even offered us free beginner classes when we are ready!!! She didn't even charge me for today.

Awesome update! He's so fortunate that you found each other. Love and patience wins again! So happy for both of you.

Great update!
    Hidden Content

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Anonymous

Good to hear

What a wonderful update! Benelli will be a pro in no time with you help.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Omg its amazing the difference in him in only 2 days doing what the trainer taught me to do with him. Hes now coming in the house and not ignoring me. I still have him on a long leash just in case but hes been very good. Hes learnig to look for me for direction. when I would walk him he would totally ignore me and be more interested in what was going on now he follows me. I will randomly call him to me and treat him. I will randomly tell him to watch me and treat him. If he is calm and laying down I treat him or praise him verbally. I will prob sign him up for group classes a little later when he has a few more weeks of training with distractions. I took im in the petstore and practiced there and in the neighborhood and the yard.

Great news WTG, Benelli, you'll be a wonder lab in no time.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeLynn For This Useful Post:

sheltieluver (12-16-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos