Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friends or not

Friends or not

Molly thinks it is sooooooo much fun to harrass my cat. She does not puff up but the ears go all the way back and the swatting begins. I know Molly is just wanting to play.I have at times seen them very clost to one another usally when Molly is tiered and they are fine. Im just not sure how to stop it. I am trying to train her to leave it. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Luna and our cat, Gracie have been around each other for just over a year and they're finally getting used to each other. It takes time and practice.

Does your cat have claws? It's very helpful for the puppies when the cats have claws. Our poor Grace is clawless, so we really had to work on the leave it. But if it's too much, Grace will hiss, swat and bite. And then I see them snuggling on the Dropcam when we're not home ;-)
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (12-14-2014)

If you figure this one out PLEASE let us know!!!! Our 13 year old cat (Duchess) and Mocha have a love/hate relationship. He would love to play with her and she hates him!!! He just wants to play and he try's to step on her and hold her down and out comes the claws and hissing.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparky For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (12-14-2014), Meeps83 (12-15-2014)

OUr three were used to a well behaved dog and got a shock when young hooligan Oban entered the picture. First they lost their great friend Jetski pup (such a good friend I was worried about one cat) and then I allowed a holy terror into the house. Two cats avoided him when they could, boxed his ears and nose when they felt it necessary. A couple of times I had to rescue both cat and puppy when they caught a hook in his lip. Still, he didn't learn to behave around them till he was one year old. All that first year the cat most in love with Jet hid.

I did what I could; kept their hooks short so they wouldn't seriously injure his eyes, made sure they had escape routes. One thing I have done with each introduction is rank the pets by who was here first. I pet them first, speak to them, feed them, play with them. I'm not sure if it does any good. I think dogs respect rank more than cats do. It made me feel like I was atoning for ruining the cats' lives by trying to show them I hadn't forgotten their exalted position in our family.

We only have one of those cats now, the one who hid. She and Oban became friends after the first year mostly due to him calming down a bit. Not best friends like she was with Jet, but good friends.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (12-14-2014)

I have 6 cats 5 dogs and everyone gets along. It took me a while to get there and Benelli is in the process of learning. My cats are used to dogs tho so that helps even when I bring strange dogs in. Like snowshoe said I give them escape routes, keep nails cut. With the dogs like Benelli who like to chase I let him drag a leash around while teaching leave it that way if he doesn't listen I have better control so he doesn't chase them. I then redirect him to something else and praise him. He doesn't need a leash now in the house and rarely chases them anymore.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sheltieluver For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (12-14-2014)

No my cat does not have claws. SHe is very in love with my older dog and her best bud went to rainbow lodge about 2 months before I brought Molly home. I do my best to keep them apart. I did the introduction slowly. I mean I so get it Molly is this bouncing giant in comparison. I will keep working on leave it. I just miss the harmony of all my pets being friends. I do hope this comes right over time.

Thank you everyone at least im not alone.

Give it time. When we brought Maxx home it was a bit of a shock to my kitties that were used to their older, calmer dogs. Maxx was a very mellow puppy but he was even a bit much for my older Persian. My dumpster kitty, Barney, took Maxx's cheeky nonsense as a challenge and today they are best friends. The cat thinks he is a dog and he and Maxx play like a big dog and a little dog with a big attitude! If Maxx gets carried away, Barney has no problem chasing him down and putting him in his crate, it is hysterical. My Persian loves to snuggle with Emma and even he has warmed up to Maxx and loves on him occassionaly.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (12-15-2014)

Senior Dog
    Cats were always alpha in our house. Every dog knew "leave it" or "leave kitty" from day one. Animals were fed at the same time and kitties ate first....treats, too (with the word "share" before giving anyone any and giving treats after saying individual names).

All of my cats except one were declawed to maintain decent inter-cat relationships (decision not furniture related).

Charlie, my tuxedo boy, was the only cat who wanted a real relationships with any of the dogs. He'd hit Hershey from time to time...Hersh was a bit afraid of him. He'd sometimes ambush Honey but Honey looked at him funny and he didn't do that too often. Baffle was the first Lab that Charlie really "reacted" to....in the same way as your cat does. Charlie sometimes hit so hard that he'd end up shaking his paw afterwards. Baffy never chased Charlie or reacted in any negative way, so that was the extent of their relationship until we lost Baff at an early age....I obviously don't know how that would have turned out over time.

Enter Sunnie and then, three weeks later, Danny. We didn't allow Charlie to get near the puppies since we didn't know how Sunnie would react to that. So puppies/Dan got to see Charlie for a long time before Dan actually ended up being able to interact with him. Dan is smart. Dan knows "leave it". Dan knew Charlie (and Trouble...the only kitty allowed to keep her claws and who had basically no interest in dogs) was alpha. No problem.

Over time, Charlie decided he'd start to swat Danny....gently....he obviously liked Dan a lot more than he'd liked any of the other dogs. He encouraged Dan to chase him. They ended up with the best relationship ever....chasing back and forth, modified bitey-face....if there was something on a table that Charlie could get to but Dan couldn't, Charlie would nudge it to the edge of the table for Dan.

Now, there's a difference between my 35 lb. Danny and an adult Lab in terms of the amount of dog doing the interacting, but a gentled Lab should have no problems with a good playful interaction with a cat. My feeling is that it depends on how the cat perceives the relationship as the pup grows....how safe the cat feels.

"Leave it" is my favorite command....I use it for a lot of things (actual leaving objects totally alone, dissuading dog reactivity, dissuading interest in wildlife, etc.). I'd seriously teach/reinforce that and see what happens with your cat and Molly.

(We knew Charlie was starting to feel bad when he stopped wanting to chase....and Dan instinctively knew to stop doing that. Dan mourned his buddy for about 6 months after Charlie died.)

-dancharlie6020008-jpg

-palm-tree-danny-002-jpg

-familyshot8157-jpg

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (12-15-2014)

Senior Dog
    Prime example of "Cats Rule":

-catinbed2-jpg

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (12-15-2014), Snowshoe (12-16-2014)

My sister has two cats and a lab who just wants to play with them all the time. They've got a system where one of the bedrooms is off limits to the dog. He's been trained to NEVER go in that room even with the door open, and it's the cats' safe place. When they've had enough of him they'll go in that room for some peace and quiet.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (12-15-2014), SoapySophie (12-27-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos