Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Won't eat food? / Anyone have problems with Fromm GF Four Star Formulas?

So among his toenail issues I posted on the other board, Reggie's having another issue. It all started this past weekend: he was really mellow and sleepy all weekend, which is highly uncharacteristic for Reggie. Saturday night he randomly woke up at 3AM throwing up... but it was like 4 little spots, nothing in them but a piece of blue string or something (no clue what it was or where he got it because we're very careful about him getting into things!)

Then, yesterday (Monday) he didn't want to eat breakfast. My husband had to really encourage him to do so. Same thing with dinner last night. This morning, when I fed him breakfast, he flat out refused. (Though he ate just a bite from my hand.) Every time I'd tell him to go eat, he'd go over to the bowl, sniff a little maybe, then come running back over to me and roll onto his back like he wanted a belly rub. Right now he is on Fromm Grain Free Four Star Surf & Turf. He did this once before when he was on Fromm Grain Free Four Star Beef Frittata. This is only our second bag of the Surf & Turf. Luckily this morning, I had a sample pack of Zignature Duck so I gave him that... he went running right over to it and started eating it right away. I was worried about possible diarrhea from the quick switch, so I picked it up and added some pumpkin to it. He ate it but ate it slowly, and I had to encourage him a couple times. He would eat his treats with no problem this morning!

I don't remember him ever doing this prior to being on grain free dog food... oh and I saw someone mention this once before... he does seem to have anal gland issues. We had them expressed once and he butt scoots all the time.

We store our food inside the original bag (with the bag open) but then inside a big plastic dog food bin.

Any thoughts?!

Senior Dog
    i'd worry about the string (is there more of it inside?) rather than the fromm. company is 100 yrs old, and never a recall. great customer service, why not give them a call?

My fear is that if you don't recall anything with blue string, the rest of the item could be in his tummy. Is he pooping at all?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (12-16-2014)

I would be worried about an obstruction. The blue string is concerning. Bacon eats all of the GF flavors and we have had no issues. Keep an eye on poops, and give the vet a call, asking questions could help.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

House Broken
    I'm not 100% sure how his pooping has been... we let him outside, and I usually see him get ready to poop and then leave him go. I'll definitely watch him at lunch today and this evening. Maybe I'll give the vet a call at lunch time. He's still eating his treats fine, though... that's why I wondered more about the food and less about the string type thing.

Are there any other symptoms of an obstruction?

Maybe he knows that even if he doesn't eat his food, he will still get treats and is holding out for better food (in this case, treats)?
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Signs of obstruction are most commonly vomiting, constipation or diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy.

You could also have a picky eater who is playing you to get some treats
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

House Broken
    Hm... would he be eating the treats and the sample food I had if he had a bowel obstruction?

I considered the picky eater thing... thought about just not giving him anything this morning to see what would happen, but then I felt really bad and didn't want him to be starving... :-(

Quote Originally Posted by klnst3 View Post
    Hm... would he be eating the treats and the sample food I had if he had a bowel obstruction?

I considered the picky eater thing... thought about just not giving him anything this morning to see what would happen, but then I felt really bad and didn't want him to be starving... :-(
    yes at first some will still eat even if they have an obstruction. depends how serious and how long.

oh your puppy will not starve if they skip a meal or two. if this is indeed not an obstruction the dog is playing you.

House Broken
    I called and made an appointment for him this evening. He did have a bowel movement at lunch today, and it was good solid poop... though it looked like there may have been some random objects in it, so I bagged some of it and will give that to them tonight too.

I'm guessing that if he was able to poop today and he hasn't thrown up since Saturday night, that it is probably not an obstruction... but I'm going to keep the appointment anyway.

Maybe like I originally though, he just doesn't like his food. That still doesn't explain the sleepiness/mellow attitude lately, though. He's a little over 2 years old but he's still normally very active and playful, and often times, even a little crazy! :-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to klnst3 For This Useful Post:

Sue-Ram (12-16-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos