Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The dogs know best.

Last year, our dogs started refusing to drink our tap water. I called the water department and caught all kinds of crap from the very defensive guy I spoke to.

I bought a water distiller which has worked beautifully. It produces four gallons of water a day. We cook with it and feel comfortable drinking it ourselves. Our dogs drink it as well.

Today we received a notice stating that our tap water is, in fact, contaminated. Forgive the pun but the notice is watered down. It claims it is not an emergency and we don't need to boil our water but it shouldn't be given to infants, the elderly and anyone with a chronic health issue. Seriously? I'm not buying it. We failed the state criteria. Thank heavens for the dogs.

What good dogs! Glad that you are all okay.

Senior Dog
    Good grief. Sometimes I feel like we're all guinea pigs in some diabolical experiment (like what happened decades ago). Anyway....if it's not safe for any portion of the population, it shouldn't be deemed safe for anyone....my opinion.

I don't drink tap water any more....ours started making me feel nauseated....can smell the chlorine most of the time....fluoride is foul stuff (even though ours is supposedly low).

But you never really know who to trust anymore. It's given me a bit better understanding for why some folks see conspiracy in everything.

I am glad you listened to them Those good dogs deserve a good treat

We are on a well and test our water twice a year, three tests each time. From some stories I've heard people on town water should do the same thing. Part of our village does have municipal water supply and it has been contaminated. Another village had a chlorine spill into their water supply. People noticed the yellow colour, the smell and the dead grass and fish where the water ran out. Yikes.

Dogs on alert is even better than a test. Good for you for taking the hint they gave you.

Good dogs!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    before the dogs got sick from the diamond issue , vangie didnt want to eat the food and i thought, like a dopey fool, that she was being fussy.
    bad me. stupid me.

Good pups! They are way more sensitive to the environment than we are.

Here's the best part. I reread the letter. They knew about this issue five weeks ago, treated it with a massive dose of chlorine and only notified us after they failed the test twice since. Then they say that the presence of coliform bacteria is an indication of a more significant underlying problem with the entire system. Then they assure us that we should just trust them that everything is OK.

The guy who heads this department is the one who walked into my house this summer while I was upstairs. Not surprisingly I have no faith in this group whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    We are on a well and test our water twice a year, three tests each time.
    Snowshoe, how do you test your water? We have an open well on our property. It's actually beautifully lined with field stones (picture below). Years ago, when our land was a dairy farm, this was the only water source for the farm and the house. When we built our house, we "hooked up to city water". But I'd like to know if our well is safe. I did have it tested at a lab. When the report came back, they said it tested positive for ecoli. "How much? Is it poisonous?" They told me it could be anything from a minute trace to very bad. The test to tell how much was much more expensive test! I also sent it off in one of those envelopes that Home Depot has for the free test, but never heard back. I'd like to know if we can use it to water flowers or vegetables or if it's dangerous to Mocha. It's covered with a heavy concrete lid so no chance of Mocha getting into it.

I did do an unscientific "daisy" test. I took 2 jars, one with clean water and one with the well water (which was very clean and clear) and put the same amount of daisies in each jar. I thought if the water is poisoned, the well water daisies will die faster. But they all died at the same rate. Interesting, but not conclusive.

Perhaps I should send a sample to janedoe and see what her dogs think!

Here's a picture of the well looking from the top down. The pipe on the side is how the piped it into the old house.

-jpg

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos