Post What the heck was that?!

Every morning, I let Oliver out at 5:30am he does poo and pee. He eats at 6:30am. We go back out for both poo and pee before I go to work, anytime between 7:30am and 8am.

Well....this morning....I feed him (like normal) then I saw this Kong I bought that you can put kibble in but haven't used it since I got it because I got the large size and wasn't sure if he'd be able to figure it out. I decided to test it out this morning. I put a half a cup of kibble in there and gave it to him. He did finally get it figured out. When it was empty, I told him "good job", picked it up, and put it away. He was running around like a mad man thinking I had something else for him, smelling the floor where the toy had been, then my hands, trying to get on the couch, going over to his toys and in his crate. He was in his toys sniffing around and then all of a sudden, he starts to do the circle poop thing on his bed and begins to crap at 7am, way before he normally goes out! I said "no, no, no!" grabbed him and put him outside. Luckily only one tiny, hard poo came out but what the heck was that?! He has never attempted to poop in the house before, let alone on top of his bed which is located next to his crate and ALL his toys!

Did I feed him too much? Did he get too worked up over the Kong toy? I just don't understand what just happened.

Below is a picture of his set up so you can visualize where he attempted to poo. Right in the middle of all HIS stuff.

-img_1608-jpg
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    extra food, extra poop.
    and i do think the excitement helps push it out.

^X2. Use part of his normal amount of morning meal to put in the kong to decrease the overall amount of kibble given. With the excitement, you might also need to adjust poop time.

Senior Dog
    He ate at 6:30...had extra food....and then ran around...had to go earlier than he normally does.

Mine always went out immediately after eating....Dan still does. And no exercising for an hour or two after eating (potential for bloat or at least vomiting).

I get that I may have given him too much food...but why did he try and go in his stuff? That just seems odd to me.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Best Friend Retriever Gibbysmom's Avatar
    Sounds like he was distracted looking and sniffing for his kong, and it snuck up on him. He's just a puppy.....I doubt if he's been doing well with potty training that a mistake will change that. If you've ever potty trained a child it happens ...........

Because he was happy and excited and he missed his own signals to himself. He's a baby, he doesn't have enough control yet for unexpected happy excitement. You can relate, I bet you've been with friends and having so much fun you thought you'd pee your pants? Pretty much the same thing.

LOL. Thank you Snowshoe and Gibbysmom for the examples of why. That makes sense. As long as we aren't going backwards because he has been doing so well!

Besides, that little poop, I put in the place outside where he buries his head...so he may have done me a favor. Don't tell him though!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos