Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Surfing/Snarfing

After a boatload of dogs I've got a dog burglar. Anthony is a counter surfer and a grabber of everything. I never had one before and thank god Stella has no interest. I've tried the soda can filled with coins. If he grabs my socks off the couch I can get him to drop it but not consistently.

Help!

Mocha is not a surfer (unless it's something really good), but he will snarf socks and stuff. I know he does it for attention so when he gets a sock, I try to give him as little attention as possible with a simple "drop it". But a little while later (so that he doesn't connect the two events), I try to play and give him more attention. I want to try and notice when he wants attention and give it to him before he resorts to the sock game. If I see that he's eyeing a sock (or whatever), I tell him "leave it" and then give him lots of praise. Progress is hit or miss. I notice he does this mostly when I'm working from home or getting ready to go somewhere.

So, since I've had limited success, I'm not sure what to advise. But you're not alone

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

Doreen Davis (12-20-2014)

We've got a counter surfer and a grabber here! We usually keep Bobby tethered to someone that way, we can always watch what he is doing and what he is getting up to. When he behaves himself, we let him drag the leash and if he makes an attempt for the counter, we just step or grab the leash. We also controlled the environment. We made sure that we cleared the counters as much as we could and the stuff left on was placed away from the edge. Sometimes, we get careless and Bobby steals food and remotes but we usually tell him to "drop." He isn't completely reliable with drop so other times, after he has his fun (carrying it around), we use the "bring" command to exchange with something yummy or more fun and appropriate (e.g. a squeaky toy he doesn't normally get). He likes to steal to play "keep away" or just to chew it.

We don't want the leash to be used permanently as management. In the mean time, we play "It's Your Choice" to teach him self-control. We would tempt him with food on the counter and if he backed away and sat down, we would reward him. Whilst we don't use the food now, when we catch him approaching a counter, we will watch him. He isn't bombproof yet (hence the leash) so sometimes, we tell him to "leave it" and we step on the leash to enforce the command if he decides to have selective hearing. So far, so good.
    Hidden Content

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Anonymous

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Halcyon For This Useful Post:

Senior Dog
    There is no way that handsome boy would ever do that stuff.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dallas dawg For This Useful Post:

Did you try my vinegar trick? Worked on Oban.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

what's the vinegar trick?

I copied this from a post Snowshoe wrote in September:

<
    Key first step, offer him a bowl of vinegar to drink. If he comes up sputtering and looks at you like you've lost your mind, continue. Some dogs will drink vinegar. A bit won't hurt them. If he drinks it happily this won't work

I wiped down the counters and stove top after every meal and left it sort of wet. Vinegar has natural antibacterial properties and lots of people clean their counters with it even if they don't have a dog. I also left out two small plastic dishes of vinegar. Plastic in case he gets up and knocks them off, so they don't break. I did that for a week. Cured. I mean the dog.

He relapsed about three months later and I did it for another couple of days. The odd wipe down with vinegar will help reinforce this. Worked for me. The big, big advantage of this is it works when you aren't there. And I can leave even food sitting on the edge of the counter but only for short times, it's not fair to tempt him.>>

I should probably link to that post rather than just write her thing.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Doreen Davis (12-20-2014), krysten (12-22-2014)

Looks good to me, that's what I did.

The only thing Oban will jump up and take off the counter is his leash. I tie it in a knot for him to carry out when we go somewhere in the car and a few times I've put the knotted leash on the counter till we're ready to go out the door. He can resist food but not the leash which signifies the promise of a car ride and then a walk.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Real Retriever
    I start early and get my pups to think I am everywhere and know everything. I set them up for failure so I can catch them in the act!!!

For something like counter surfing: Set a high value item on the counter, in sight and smell range. Sit somewhere where you can see or know if they enter the kitchen, but if you get up, they will not see you. Pretend to be busy... paying them no mind. But you are really watching them like a hawk! As soon as they disappear into the kitchen, get up and sneak over, peeking at them or the item. As soon as they go up, YELL OUT and POP into sight!!! "What the blazes is going on in here!???!!??" "Were you just on the counter???" "NO NO NO on the counter!!!!!" You should get a very surprised and frightened look from them!

For my pups, it didn't take more than once for them to get the picture, but a bit longer to reinforce. Do it a few more times. You should notice them near the kitchen, but they keep glancing back at you, to make sure you REALLY are not looking. That is your que to preemptively strike, "What is going on over there?" or, "Don't even think about it." or my favorite... "Not a good idea." with a couple shakes on my head side to side. If you don't like to converse with your dog, you can just say something like "NO on the counter." Then redirect to another activity: "Where is this toy?"

Even my overactive, spawn of satan little monster caught on as a little pup. This evolved from "Not a good idea." with a couple shakes on my head side to side into just clearing my throat and then a couple quick side to sides of me head while I look away. At 2.5 it evolved into a short "ahem" followed by hand signs to get her to stop and do as I requested: leave the area, come, go to your blanket...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodrow_Woodchuck For This Useful Post:

I used a piece of plastic carpet runner, upside down, in an area I did not want doggy paws. It worked like a charm. Those sharp little teeth on the "down" side don't feel good on puppy paws, lol! Others I have told about this used it on the kitchen counter and had success.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Doreen Davis (12-20-2014), ZoeysMommy (12-21-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos