Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Switched puppy food. now she wont eat :(

Ok i was feeding my 18 week old pup Purina Pro plan large breed focus food. from what i noticed she liked it but her BM were always soft and runny. did about a week of switching and followed merricks transition recommendation to merrick grain free puppy recipe. the mixing went pleasant. her stools started hardening almost immeditaly. but now after the week transition, im at day 10, so 3 days full merrick. Now my dog was always a graizer while eating. pulls it out of the bowl drops a mouth ful, eats it off the floor. but with the merrick its about 10 times worse. i know i can be a little more strict on how long i keep her food out maybe and hour. Do you think i should just keep at it or is it she just does not like it at all?

I have always read that a healthy dog won't starve themselves. Maybe she is holding out for treats and knows that if she doesn't eat her food, she will still get "better" food in the form of treats? Maybe try putting the food down, leaving it for about 30 minutes, if she doesn't eat it, pick it up until the next meal, and then try again. In the meantime, don't give her any treats and see if that is what she is holding out for.

I did this with my Yorkie when she got weird about eating. After a few missed meals and no treats, she ate like normal with no issues.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

House Broken
    thanks yea im going to try that

Senior Dog
    Also, is she teething? It's been a while since I had a pup, so I can't remember how old they are when they go through that, but it can make their gums tender and cause them to be less interested in hard, dry kibble for a while.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (12-26-2014)

Try to soak her food as she's probably changing her teeth to adult ones. Apart form that be strict - leave food for 20 minutes, if she doesn't eat take it & wait till next meal time. She has to see that she'll be hungry if she doesn't eat in her meal times.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BeataK For This Useful Post:

House Broken
    yes she def is full blown teething right now. upper and lower front teeth are becoming adults now. as i have been putting some warm water in with her food as well

Also if she's getting too much food that might be why her stools are soft and why she's being picky.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

Personally, I wouldn't have switched foods to begin with. I raised Sam on Pro Plan Focus large breed puppy and never had any issues. Too much food can cause loose stools. If you're doing a lot of training and giving treats, take into consideration how many treats you give during the day and adjust the amount of food you feed. Teething can also cause some eating issues. When Sam was teething, his toys would have blood spots on them so I imagine his mouth was sore. We used to wet a washcloth and freeze it and then let Sam chew on it (under supervision because he could swallow a washcloth in the blink of an eye). I hope things get better soon!
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Real Retriever
    Neither one of my dogs would eat dry food alone while they were teething - and in this case, I don't believe in the theory the dog will eat when it gets hungry enough.

Try adding warm water, letting it sit 20min or so before feeding; if that doesn't work, I see no harm in adding some scrambled eggs to the dry food with warm water as well.

Those teething phases are real hard on them; the puppy I have now, wouldn't eat anything and would sleep heavily.

I agree that changing food may have not been the best idea. Teething can cause loose stool and "off" eating as well. Did you talk to your breeder about switching food? Starting the "food rollercoaster" is a scary thought.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos