Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Toy Destruction!

So I am looking for toys that can withstand hurricane force Murphey.. My older lab, Baylee, always cherished her toys and took such great care of them. Took her favorite stuffed "Pup-pups" (the special one from petsmart each holiday) to bed each night.. then enter Murphey a year ago and as he grew into the now 14 month old 77 lb toy destroyer that he is, Baylee has lost every one of her cherished toys. They have all been reduced to shrapnel or carcasses. I have tried every "indestructible" toy that one can find on the market- those labeled for super aggressive chewers--- ummmm Murphey is getting by those no problems.. In fact he just chewed the entire end off one of the super hard black rubber Kong extra large chew bones.. The sad thing is he loves to play but is so destructive on the toys.. Baylee got her pup pup and kit cat for Christmas this year and was able to play with them for a bit but I have put them up to at least keep them intact for awhile longer. I buy the sterilized bones that have filling or put my own filling in the middle and both dogs love to gnaw on them.. also go through the hard nylabones. Murphey loves to play with the kong toys throwing it up and bouncing it around but also destroys them when he gets to chewing on them. Anyone found any good toys for destructive labs????

Senior Dog
    Kimber was a destructo-lab. I bought every toy marketed as indestructible- and I swear she saw the label as a challenge. A challenge she defeated, regularly, in under 10 minutes. The only toys that outlasted her first two years were hardcore food toys, like the Buster Cubes and the Kongs, which I picked up as soon as she emptied. If she ever got one in her back teeth, all bets were off.

So instead of throwing away my money, I started going to Goodwill and other thrift stores and picking up toys for 50 cents or so. Sure, she eviscerated them in a few minutes, but she had a blast doing it and it only cost me 50 cents.

Now she's gentle with her toys- but she's 9!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

TooLabs (12-30-2014)

Mocha is our "power chewer". We inspect Mocha's toys and if pieces start coming off, we throw it away. We've thrown away a lot of toys . The stuffies are eviscerated. He peels the hide of tennis balls. Ropes are methodically eaten. The only 100% toy he has is the one he came with - his tail. Loves chasing it!

He has a Goughnut Stick he's had since May. It is also guaranteed for life. If you ever see red in the middle, send it back and they'll send you another one. He does some real power chewing on this. It is starting to show signs of chewing. He has the goughnut black ring, but it's heavy and he doesn't like it as well as the stick.

Amazon.com : GoughNut Stick Green : Pet Chew Toys : Pet Supplies.

Mocha's secret santa got him a bully horn (Thanks WhoopsDaisy!) and Mocha really power chews on that. This is now my go-to toy for when I'm working from home and need him to be quiet but don't want to put him in his kennel. He loves this.

He also has the green squezz bone from Kong. He doesn't power chew on that one as much, but it is standing up pretty well. He had (past tense) the squezz stick and chewed the nubs off.

He has nylabone toys that we give him for a short periods at a time. He just chews them until they are so rough on the ends.

The red kongs are holding up well. Maybe because he knows sometimes we put peanut butter or treats in them.

He has other toys (ropes, frisbees, bumpers) that we use for tug and fetch. But they are just for supervised play. Like Kimber, some of the "indestructible" toys are just a mild challenge for Mocha.

Good luck finding what works for Murphey.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

TooLabs (12-30-2014)

This is a question I had with our destroyer Jax. We are down to only giving him hard rubber toys. He loves the Chuck it balls but you have to get the rubber ones not the kind with fuzz. He does well with JW toys. Even them they can't have little feet. He loves deer antlers and they last with no smell. The toy he's hooked on the most is an outside one, a frisbee made by Nerf. He's had it forever and chews on it a lot. He folds.it up like a taco and carries it around.
    Amazon.com : JW Pet Company Hol-ee Roller Dog Toy, 5-Inches (Colors Vary) : Pet Toy Balls : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Nerf Dog TPR Float Flyer, 10-Inch, Red: Pet Supplies

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jax's Mom For This Useful Post:

TooLabs (12-30-2014)

Have you tried elk antlers? Those appear to be pretty indestructive. For us anyway...
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beth101509 For This Useful Post:

TooLabs (12-30-2014)

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Nothing seems to last for my boy. He destroys everything. My girlfriends parents lab doesn't destroy anything. He cherishes his toys. We gave him an antler - and it has remained untouched for probably half the year. He just carries it around with him from room to room. My dog ruined it in about 2 days it was gone. He also gets the holiday stuffed dogs from petsmart every year and brings them with them all over the house, sleeps on them like a pillow etc. My dog ruined two of his in a matter of seconds. Whenever we bring our dog over, we have to put all my girlfriends parents labs toys in his basket and lock them away because my dog is ruthless. He just massacres toys. I'll write a list of toys that have works, and a list of toys that don't work. There have been a lot I won't remember but I'll do my best.

Toys that work:

• ​West Paw Hurley Dog Bone (biggest size)
    • West Paw Jive Dog Ball (biggest size)
    • West Paw Tux Treat Toy
    • Kong Extreme (the black one in biggest size)

Toys that don't work:

• West Paw Topple Treat Toy
    • West Paw Tizzi Dog Toy
    • Kong Classic Rubber toys (any of the red ones)
    • Kong Extreme Goodie Bone
    • JW Cuz Good
    • JW I-squeak Rubber ball
    • JW I-squeak Rubber bone
    • JW Chompiont
    • None of the chukit balls or toys
    • tennis balls
    • Ruffwear Squash

Anything Stuffed or anything made of fabric...including all the "durable fire hose toys"

My boy enjoys antlers...but I have been convinced that they are really hard on his teeth. I could be paranoid but it seems like one of his K9's is a little bit more "worn" than the other side. He will sit and chew on an antler for days. He also really enjoys some nylabone products. In particular, he likes the Extra large Dura Chew Double Action Chew with the green material in the middle. He also likes the Dura Chew Bone - in various flavours. He likes the wishbone too. I can't give him any of the dental chews like the blue ones - those are too soft and easy to ruin. I like nylabones because they are not as hard on his teeth (at least I don't think) but they get into carpet and are pretty hard to remove. I have had to get him to lay on his bed with them instead.

I really feel bad for him almost because he just loves to ruin toys - he doesn't have a lot. I tend to take toys away so he doesn't get bored with them...but his rotation is slowly dwindling.

I would like to try the goughnuts cup, and sticks. I just need to place an order with them when I have time...everyone seems to think they are fantastic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xracer4844 For This Useful Post:

TooLabs (12-30-2014)

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    We find this one works well (so far): Amazon.com : JW Pet Company Hol-ee Roller X Extreme 5 Dog Toy, 5-Inches (Colors Vary) : Pet Toy Balls : Pet Supplies

It's fun like the regular Hol-ee Roller but isn't as flimsy. Great for the backyard or house.
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SoapySophie For This Useful Post:

TooLabs (12-30-2014)

Real Retriever
    Sunshine, at 3 now, was always very gentle with stuffed toys. Her buddy 'Bubba' is almost 3 years now and still has his plastic eyes and tag!!! But, she also has a strong need to just destroy things. I'm not just talking chew on stuff, she NEEDED to tear it into little pieces to satisfy her urge. When she was little, I made sticks the allowable things to destroy, which she sure did!! LOL! She would literally attack small trees and destroy them. As she grew I changed over to pieces of firewood, oak. She had one inside one at a time and she would take it on her blanket and within a week, I was bringing in another one. Yes, it did make a mess but satisfied that need in her and it was better than chancing furniture.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodrow_Woodchuck For This Useful Post:

TooLabs (12-30-2014)

We've got an aggressive, power chewer here too. Like xracer4844, nothing here seems to last and like kimbersmom, we've resorted to buying cheap dollar toys to entertain him because the Kongs weren't lasting much longer anyway. We also make our own toys with stuff we're about to throw out like cereal boxes, milk bottle, etc. If you look at my blog, we made a DIY Milk Bottle Nunchuck for him. Didn't last but it was free and entertained him.

Toys Still Alive (Mostly because he doesn't have 24/7 access to them and most aren't for chewing. He'd kill them if he had the chance):

- Extreme Kong XL
    - Kong Wobbler
    - stuffed pineapple (been mended a couple times)
    - stuffed elephant
    - stuffed football
    - Kong Flyer
    - Soccer balls
    - Tennis ball (don't know why he hasn't killed this yet)
    - Hoola Hoop (great for fetching and piggy in the middle)
    - tug rope
    - Kong Flirt Pole

Dead Toys (RIP):

- countless stuffies
    - 2x Kong Tugger L
    - Kong Traxx
    - countless balls
    - basketball
    - Kong Squeezz Dumbbell
    - Kong Squeezz Ball
    - pork rib dog toy
    - numerous ropes
    - Freesheeze Freshmint Bone Dog Toy

There's more that I don't recall at the moment. With Bobby destroying all his toys within minutes, it was just more economical to invest in cheap toys at the dollar store instead of $20 branded toys that are supposedly tough. Most of the toys destroyed were when he was a young puppy too. He killed his Extreme Kong L at 6 months.
    Hidden Content

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Anonymous

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Halcyon For This Useful Post:

TooLabs (12-30-2014)

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    You can also take a stiff plastic bottle (like a firm orange juice bottle or plastic booze bottle, labels removed), make sure the cap's always on real tight (or take it and the little plastic ring off) and throw that around the backyard. In the house the dog has way too much noisy fun with it.
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SoapySophie For This Useful Post:

TooLabs (12-30-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos