Puppy

Puppy/Jogging Question

Hi all,

Macie is 9 1/2 months now and doing great overall. I have been walking her 2x/day for 30 minutes or so, and we go to a local fenced area and play fetch on the weekends. Some behaviors have developed however that lead me to think that she's not getting out the energy that she needs. I'm also working on exercising more regularly for my own fitness.

My question is this: I know I'm not supposed to run with her until she's 1.5-2 years old. Considering that my "running" is really just slow jogging in short intervals - jogging a couple minutes, then walking a couple minutes, and I average around 15 minute miles with this for 1-2 miles at a time (I know, ridiculous, but I've always hated running and I'm working on it!) can I bring her with me? I've tried this 3 days now, and she seems so much happier and better behaved during the day afterwards. (*I also make sure she runs on the grass instead of the sidewalk.)

She's fantastic motivation for me to be more regular and consistent with my exercise, but of course I don't want to put her developing joints at risk in any way. I'd love your opinions.

Thanks!

Lindsey

She's not even a year yet so I think the risk far outweigh the benefits. Try and get her off leash in the woods where she can run w/e speed she wants and change directions when she feels like it.

not on leash no. no on leash jogging no matter how slow you are until joints are done growing (18+ months)

she needs more daily off leash play. Off leash will get more bang for your buck as far as exercise. it helps build muscle and stamina as well and is good for a young dog to get some play/running off leash more than on weekends (weekend warrior style exercise can lead to injury)

also, exercising the brain works wonderfully too. a few short training sessions and/or having her "work" for her meals via toys or training.

You run at the same pace/distance that I do and it's just a fast walk for my long legged Mocha. But I don't with Mocha because I just don't want to take the chance that it will do damage to him down the road.

I do understand what you mean about the motivation. Why is it that I would walk/run with Mocha for his fitness but I won't walk me for my fitness?

I sort of did, and with the breeder's consent, BUT.....

We were on sand bush trails or snow. Dog was off leash and could sniff, amble, speed up, change direction at will. I worked up to 7 km (9 if you include the leash walk over to the bush and back) by the time Jet was a year old. I did this maybe 3 days a week. With Oban I went by the 5 minute rule.

What you propose sounds quite mild to me. I can walk a 15 minute mile, I can easily cover 4 miles in an hour while briskly walking. I did the interval running when I was getting back after injury, with Jet, and I used a timer. She wasn't a pup but it was funny how she began to time the intervals herself. Oh boy, now we get to run again, much more fun than walking.

So I think depending on your surface, soft not pavement, and if pup is off leash that sounds doable. If you incorporate some play and maybe a break at a creek or pond sounds ok to me. Two miles at 15 minutes each is only 1/2 hour. In the 5 minute rule for a 9 month old you'd be up to 45 minutes. And as I say, for me that would be walking speed.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos