Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant

Rant

My neighbor down the street drives me crazy. This man is so round-up happy it's ridiculous. I have never seen anyone spray their yard as much as he does. It bugs me because I have to walk by his house to walk the boys. Guess we will be swinging wide for awhile. OK rant over. I never use that poison in my yard ever.

I can't use anything chemical because it gives me psoriasis even through thick gloves, even Windex, so I have an ugly feeling that that would kill me.

Banned here. But commercial properties and some others can still use pesticides. The church beside us does. They are supposed to post signs when they spray but they don't.

We have several patches of poison ivy in our yard and I would love to get out there with some Round Up. It's in beds surrounding some of the trees so I can avoid it. However, if the pooches run through the poison ivy and then I pet them or they step on my feet or rub against me, there it is, and I've had some bad cases of PI. Chase never bothered the sprayed areas, Lark is very likely to go snack on the poison ivy with it's Round Up salad dressing. I really want to go out there and kill that stuff, though. I guess I need to get a new prescription of steroids for the eventuality of this year's rash.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

While rarely, I have used RoundUp. It's a battle with thistle here. It's horrible to step on and all of the grans have stepped on them. Popping them out does not work as they spread by root system. I put up a temporary pen around the area, 3' high wire fencing and treat an area. The pen is much larger than the area treated. All of our furkids have not pushed at the fencing. Luckily, over the past few years I've only had a few in the yard and I pop them out. In the gardens they have to be removed by hand - very carefully.

Dandelions abound around here. The lot next door is covered. I'm constantly battling them by popping them out. DD just gave me a recipe made of vinegar, salt and a little Dawn detergent. It takes several applications but it does work.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

bearbuddymarie (05-26-2014), charliebbarkin (05-29-2014), Nancy0 (05-28-2014)

I was just going to share that recipe Fran !
    I am a big anti monsanto activist !
    Dandelions arent so bad, bees need them and
    roundup is killing the bees ! If we have no bees
    we have no fruit !

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bearbuddymarie For This Useful Post:

LuckyLuna (05-26-2014), Nancy0 (05-28-2014)

Best Friend Retriever Polly Pipkin's Avatar
    I'm in agreement with you on this stuff. I can't believe it's safe for pets. . .

Much prefer the dawn/vinegar/salt routine - what are the ratios?
    Hidden Content Katy & Polly

Hidden Content

Duchess Jan. 31, 2000 - Dec. 18, 2011, Always in our hearts

Puppy
    We've used it for poison ivy in the past, but that's about it. When we've used it, we keep the dogs away and the chickens locked in for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Polly Pipkin View Post
    I'm in agreement with you on this stuff. I can't believe it's safe for pets. . .

Much prefer the dawn/vinegar/salt routine - what are the ratios?
    The recipe DD gave me was 1 gallon white vinegar, 1 cup salt, 1 tablespoon Dawn. Spray on the weed only, getting down close. Watch out for windy days. I use a hand sprayer set on a stream rather than a mist.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (05-29-2014)

Senior Dog
    Only use Roundup or chemicals around the house foundation. Have to because I have a neighbor with a rotten fence and also termite problems. Don't need them here.

BUT dog and bunnies are NOT allowed outside for 72 hours. And they DON'T go under the eves so not exposed at all. The rest of yard is all natural fertilizers. Never used any commercial products other than Roundup or whatever it's called around the foundation. DE works great for me!

KAZ

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos