Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary

Scary

DD called first thing this morning. She was taking GS to school and the back window of her van shattered. I've heard front windshields being broken out from flying debris, but the back window? Said it really scared GS. Fortunately, she was only a little over a mile from home. Put the van in the garage and called the window replacement people and they will be out in the morning. I'll take GS to school tomorrow.

Her soon-to-be ex refused to let her use his van to get the kids to school. Butt hole!

I've been taking the older kids to school and picking them up. They walk to school. It's just too cold; wind chills are well below 0. They have about a mile to walk.

Other grandma is picking up older GS this afternoon to take him to a job interview. She refused to also pick up older GD and drop her off at home, which by the way, is on the way to the job interview. The entire situation is such a mess.

House Broken
    Sounds like a mess. Some people are just difficult and there is no reasoning with them (ex and other Grma) Your dd is lucky to have you. Weird that the back window shattered. Maybe there was a hairline crack and the cold weather and then the heat in the van made the crack shatter apart. Hope you and your dd have a stress free rest of the day.

Tempered glass, which is used in vehicles, can spontaneously shatter. In the manufacturing process of glass there are minerals that are melted down with the glass. If a slightly larger than usual piece (which really can't be seen by the naked eye) is in that piece of tempered glass, and the glass is subjected to any kind of temperature change (heat or cold) it can cause that mineral (I forget what that mineral is--if you wan't to know I'll ask DH) will expand or contract faster than the glass which causes the shatter.

And yeah, butt hole!

Glad all is ok. A loud bang like that coming from your own vehicle, or even just near by, could cause a person to flinch or duck and lose control and maybe have an accident.

Very scary. Glad they are ok.

Glad they're okay.

Once on the way to work the side window in our van just shattered, we're pretty sure that nothing hit it.

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    I hope it was just a freak thing happening. Did it happen when she was stopped or driving? Was anyone nearby? If she was stopped and people were nearby, have her look (either in the vehicle or where the incident occurred) for a tiny piece of white ceramic, eg. a piece of the top of a spark plug. When flicked at a glass window it will shatter. Even a tiny piece and doesn't need to be thrown hard. It's quite interesting, actually, that I was shown this by a tech at the headquarters of one of the large auto companies when I worked there a long time ago. They demonstrated on a car that was going to the scrap yard anyway.
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoapySophie For This Useful Post:

Bamps (01-06-2015), POPTOP (01-06-2015), Snowshoe (01-06-2015)

She was sitting in a turn lane waiting for the light to change when it broke. She doesn't think anything hit the window. She looked through the glass that landed in side and did not find any foreign object. Hopefully, the glass replacement people will be at the house early tomorrow.

That's a nasty situation and it's so cold there.

I'm sorry about the situation. I once told someone who behaved that way that he wasn't getting back at me by dropping the ball, he was just proving that he wasn't responsible enough to have kids or animals.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos