Thread: Snapping

Post Snapping

The one behavior I do not like from Oliver is his snapping at my hand. He learned a long time ago that he is not allowed to bite people and he is good about not actually biting anyone but he has recently started snapping at my hand. For example, if I move him away from me because he is trying to nudge his nose by my butt while I am trying to go to the bathroom, or if he tries sitting on top of me and I move him to lay next to me instead of on my chest, or if I am petting him (like he wants), he will snap at my hand. I tell him "no snap" and when he licks my hand, I say "good kisses" but it has me concerned. He isn't growling or anything else when he does it so not sure what it means but I don't want it to become an aggressive behavior. Any ideas or thoughts? Will it stop when he gets older or should I be concerned?
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    He is "snapping" at your hands simply because he isn't aware that it hurts and because you haven't shown him that it won't be allowed. I don't allow pups to touch me anywhere with teeth. It doesn't matter if it hurts or I barely feel it. Pups bite each other. It's what they do. It's how they communicate with each other. There is likely no aggression or anything like that to be worried about. I always say "no biting"...and I'm loud about it. I make it absolutely clear that they are not to use teeth on me.

I'll explain with an example. Pretend I am playing with a pup. He or she gets a little rambunctious and begins to snap or mouth. I'll say AH AH NO BITING. Pup might become upset or shy. This is not what you want. As soon as the NO BITING command is given, pup settles down, you can praise calmly - good boy, pets, etc. You want to reward the good, nice behavior. Play is fine - biting is not. It's totally normal for a pup to get excited and want to bite and snap and mouth and jump. This is all normal puppy behavior. It's your job as mom to limit play, set boundaries, reinforce good behavior, and show them clearly what is not allowed.

Land shark!

I would ignore it, get up and walk away. Don't give him attention or ask him to lick your hand. Also teach leave it with lots of cookies. Finally, he seems a little pushy so I'd be doing NILIF and working hard on his manners. Give him a job and take him to class - puppy class, rally drop ins (you can lure him through the entire course and have fun with it). Lots of exercise and mental stimulation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

coopersmom (01-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by xracer4844 View Post
    He is "snapping" at your hands simply because he isn't aware that it hurts and because you haven't shown him that it won't be allowed. I don't allow pups to touch me anywhere with teeth. It doesn't matter if it hurts or I barely feel it. Pups bite each other. It's what they do. It's how they communicate with each other. There is likely no aggression or anything like that to be worried about. I always say "no biting"...and I'm loud about it. I make it absolutely clear that they are not to use teeth on me.
    He doesn't actually put his teeth on me though. He snaps at air but with his mouth towards my hand. He doesn't bite me because he knows it is not an allowed behavior. Maybe he is rebelling against my no bite rule since he is at that age. I will just keep reinforcing it.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    Finally, he seems a little pushy so I'd be doing NILIF and working hard on his manners.
    I already do this but I will keep reinforcing it since he does get a little pushy from time to time.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

How old is he now? Luna went through her "Terrible Twos" around 5-6 months and then she was a nightmare teenager from 9-10 months.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

House Broken
    Snapping in the context of your examples is still him using his teeth (although not making contact) to show you he is displeased by something you are doing. I would definitely be giving an AHAH or No- said in a very serious, stern voice. It would depend on the dog what I did next. I would either wait for them to settle, be calm and then do as xracer said above or I may choose to just walk away and ignore for a while. Then go through some commands where I can reward and the pup can expel some energy so that when I pet, they are tired out, calmer. Instead of using your hands to push him away I would use my body to go towards him- ie: he goes to sniff your butt, you move at him so he must give way to you and stop the sniffing and pushiness. Make sure you are setting firm rules and are sticking to those rules. I don't allow pups to lay on me or get pushy with me. NILIF wouldn't allow a pup or dog to lay on a person unless they earned it and were invited to do so by the person. It is more than just at feeding or walk time. I would be sure to be working him on commands multiple times a day. I'd also be making sure to reinforce gentle every time he gets a treat, when you pet, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post
    How old is he now? Luna went through her "Terrible Twos" around 5-6 months and then she was a nightmare teenager from 9-10 months.
    17 weeks old.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

So he's 4 months and a week? He's still a pup and probably close to his terrible two stage. I would ignore him and walk away like everyone else suggested.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (01-06-2015), coopersmom (01-06-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos