Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

4 Year old and Her 6 Pit Bulls

I love seeing videos like this a midst all the bad we see about pit bulls. Adorable!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...009718&fref=nf
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (01-07-2015), ChoppersDad (01-07-2015), MikeLynn (01-07-2015), POPTOP (01-07-2015)

Good looking pit bulls.

I would never put a four year old in a situation like that. The dogs didn't seem to comfortable with her clapping at them, and I feel like that's just an accident waiting to happen with all the dogs feeding at the same time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to emma_Dad For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (01-07-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by emma_Dad View Post
    I would never put a four year old in a situation like that. The dogs didn't seem to comfortable with her clapping at them, and I feel like that's just an accident waiting to happen with all the dogs feeding at the same time.
    Since I am new to this whole thing, I guess I don't read body language right but those dogs looked like they listened and sat patiently pretty well to me. She called the one by his name, clapped, told him to sit, and he did as he was told. I guess I didn't see any discomfort. What do you mean by that? Just so I know in case my dog does the same thing and I am not aware of it.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I haven't watched the video but it sounds like cowboy showing off training. Doing stupid things to prove "how well trained" your dogs are is irresponsible. Like the dude walking the pack of GSD's offleash in a busy street.

As pet trainers and owners we are also responsible not only for training them but setting them up for succes. But with youtube and wanting to be SEEN as a "awesome dog trainer" more and more people are forgetting that and setting theirs dogs up for potential problems in order to show off. Just because you have trained your dog very well doesn't mean you should set them up in bad situations to prove how well trained their are.

Quote Originally Posted by beth101509 View Post
    Since I am new to this whole thing, I guess I don't read body language right but those dogs looked like they listened and sat patiently pretty well to me. She called the one by his name, clapped, told him to sit, and he did as he was told. I guess I didn't see any discomfort. What do you mean by that? Just so I know in case my dog does the same thing and I am not aware of it.
    Thats what I thought too when I posted it. From the reactions of others it seems I am mistaken...
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

I think it's great! I would feed in separate bowls, but otherwise great. My nieces love to help during feeding time and it's adorable to see how respectful the dogs are of them.... especially when they control the food

I thought the same thing... especially with all the dogs eating from a pile of kibble on the ground, with a kid right there, not in separate bowls.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beth101509 View Post
    I was hanging out at our training hall - a large section during the day is used for daycare. A person - that I didn't know - thought it would be a good idea to throw food into the day care area in front of the dogs. To anyone who knows, this is a deadly recipe to start a dog fight. I nearly tackled him. Trainer gave him an ear full. He was just not intelligent with dogs - wasn't trying to start something - he just didn't know any better.

Anything that involves food + multiple dogs can lead to problems. It's one thing for an experienced dog owner to train their dogs how to live together - not to resource guard. Show dogs that they don't need to fight one another for food. There is always more. I can tell you many stories of dogs in the home that live peacefully for years - all of a sudden something happens and a dog fight begins and the family pet has either been killed, or badly injured. Food is dangerous. Especially in a day care setting where there are multiple dogs that are unfamiliar with one another.

None of the dogs in the video look stressed - they all act as though they are familiar with on another - no sniffing, no playing. I wouldn't recommend feeding multiple dogs from a pile on the floor in the house, where they need to push and shove to get some food. That is also a recipe for disaster. Dogs that are getting more food than another can cause a fight. If an eating dog begins moving towards another while eating - this can come across as a threat and the dog may growl or bark or snap as a warning...don't you dare bother me, give me space, don't touch my food (in dog language).

Don't get me wrong - a lot of people live with multiple dogs in the home. That's fine. Some people have never/will ever have a problem. On the other hand. some do. Knowing how to train and deal with dogs in this situation sets good, knowledgeable dog owners apart from others.

I'll finish with a story. A client has a GSD and a small poodle mix (10 pound range). They went on vacation and left the dogs in the care of their elderly mother. She put their dinners down - turned her back, heard barking loud commotion, GSD had the poodle's neck and head in his mouth. Luckily the GSD just lunged, bit and released. Poodle needed almost 40 stitches. These dogs had lived together for over 5 years. Never a problem.

While I agree that feeding them all in one place can be a set up for a bad situation, it's amazing to see well trained dogs, of any breed, being calm and listening.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (01-07-2015), Jollymolly (01-08-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos