Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Meet Lizzie (Elizabeth Swan)

So many of you remember my sister and her loss of Captain Jack Sparrow 2 and a half years ago. Then her son's dog Justice passed from old age last year. Which left just Hemi's uncle mac at her house. Finally the wounds have healed and she was ready. She decided to rescue.

She started looking back in in September, more kind of a spontaneous looking and she seen an add in Craig's list, Yeah I know, I know. Anyway a family was moving away and didn't want to take their lab. She called, and called, and called, finally they talked to her and turned her down because my brother in law is currently traveling a lot, not her, and they were afraid the dog would be lonely. This from the family that moving across country and just doesn't want to take their dog with them. Another one turned her down they didn't think she could handle a lab by herself. My sister has had usually a 3 labs and 3 kid household for 30 years. While the kids are grown and moved out they are all within 10 miles and there regularly. Plus our current immediate family has 14 labs in it. So she made a post on facebook just kind sad one day about how hard it was for her to rescue.

Totally out of the blue someone from a rescue in Arkanas posted a reply to her thread with a picture of a 2 year old female black lab and said, "The reason you have been turned down was because you were meant to have her."

Lady, was her name then, was about 2, as sweet as could be. Malnourished though she is almost as tall as Hemi and was about 40 lbs. She had just had a litter of puppies, and the people dropped her off at the shelter and kept the puppies. She had been abused but was one if the sweetest dogs he ever seen, just very timid and she really needed a good home. My sister could have her after she was spayed. Well the week before Christmas my sister called me up and said she needed a favor, Lady was coming via rescue transport, she needed someone to go with her to meet up and pick her up in Illinois. So off we went. I waved going through Chicago POPTOP did you see us? Black SUV going through on I-80

Here she is first time meeting my sister, she jumped right up and gave her hugs. She kept looking at me, I had treats She was very timid and very scared of everything her legs couldn't stop shaking. She was really worried and scared. However, she didn't know she hit the lottery.

Next day in her new forever home, getting ready to go see the vet. Turns out she is heart worm positive too. So they are treating that as well. She also got to go to the spa and even got her toenails all done.

She quickly settled in. The next week Hemi got to meet her Christmas day. She looked better, there was no shaking and no fear, just nothing but love in her. They were still having trouble potty training her. If you caught her peeing and you shoulted or clapped your hands to interrupt she would just cower and shut down so they switched to taking her out every half hour and when she went in the yard just lots of love and praise and treats when she came in. Hemi didn't quite know what to think at first but they quickly made friends and it was a three lab play day all Christmas day.

Puppy Pile up on Hemi. 3 toys were lost and stuffing covered the floor that day.

One of the funniest things was when Hemi and Mac played. Mac would lay down on the floor with a toy and Hemi would just drag him across the floor. When Mac got worn out and it was just Hemi and Lizzie, Hemi showed her how to play that game. We all laughed out loud. Here Lizzie, I grab this toy and lay down you drag me across the floor. Lizzie wasn't strong enough to pull Hemi so he helped by army crawling.

Hemi and Lizzie got to play several times over the holidays and she has really just warmed up to her new home. Less than a month now and no more shaking, she is on her way to being healthy. She is getting a good food now, Fromm. She looks great. I started teaching her to use doggy bells to let them know when she needs to go out, plus it helps Hemi has been there to show her these things too. My sister send me a video New Years day she was ringing the bells on her own to go potty.

This was a pic my sister sent last night. She is sitting in the chair with a blanket over her watching TV and Lizzie just laying at her feet hanging with her mom in her new home. She really fit right in to the family and found herself a great home. She will never want for anything, except maybe some treats after she gains some weight and they won't flow as freely and maybe a bite of moms sandwich now and then.

Oh and yeah if you haven't guessed by the names my sister loves Pirates of the Caribbean.

The other good thing, while going to my sisters would wear Hemi out with just Uncle Mac. Now with Mac and Lizzie Hemi is Exhausted the next day. He is on the couch here one of the days coming home from my sisters house and I put his blanket on him and he was out for hours. I actually had free time!!!

2. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (01-07-2015), barry581 (01-07-2015), Blackboy98 (01-10-2015), Candy and Spike's Dad (01-07-2015), ChoppersDad (01-07-2015), ckfalz (01-07-2015), coopersmom (01-07-2015), Dallas dawg (01-07-2015), doubledip1 (01-07-2015), emma_Dad (01-07-2015), Georgie (01-07-2015), Gibbysmom (01-09-2015), kimbersmom (01-09-2015), labsnewfy (01-07-2015), Macy (01-07-2015), maczinger (01-08-2015), Meeps83 (01-09-2015), MightyThor (01-07-2015), MikeLynn (01-07-2015), Murphy030813 (01-09-2015), POPTOP (01-07-2015), Ruger's Mom (01-07-2015), SCDoug (01-10-2015), Scoutpout (01-07-2015), Snowshoe (01-07-2015), SoapySophie (01-07-2015), Sue-Ram (01-07-2015), SunDance (01-07-2015), Waylons_Mom (01-09-2015), WhoopsaDaisy (01-07-2015), Woodrow_Woodchuck (01-08-2015)

Oh wow! As cold as I am today, this is great news, warms my heart!!!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doreen Davis For This Useful Post:

Jeff (01-07-2015)

Kudos. Sweet story!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppersDad For This Useful Post:

Jeff (01-07-2015)

What a great outcome for all involved - Lizzie has definitely hit the jackpot!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:

Jeff (01-07-2015)

So happy for Lizzie. She looks very comfortable in her new home.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

Jeff (01-07-2015)

Yay Lizzie!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Jeff (01-07-2015)

This sure is a sad story of a beautiful black lab girl. Loved reading it, and loved the amazing happy ending even more. Thanks for sharing. You're a lucky girl, Lizzie.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeLynn For This Useful Post:

Jeff (01-07-2015)

This is beautiful! Lizzie is such a sweetheart. Thanks for rescuing her!
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Jeff (01-07-2015)

Oh my gosh, this story just made my day! I look forward to more updates and pics of Lizzie and Hemi playing!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

Jeff (01-07-2015)

Great news! Welcome home, Lizzie!
    Hidden Content

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Anonymous

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Halcyon For This Useful Post:

Jeff (01-07-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos