Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Molly Starts class tommoow

Hi I am just eally excited that Molly is going to start class. I think the challange is going to be all the distraction as I have done a lot of taining with her already.

The training school goofed up and said she wasnt registered and then appologised and added her to the list but they forgot to send me any info.

So my question is what length leash and what kind of collar should I take with me?

I used a normal leash and a flat collar. Our trainers did not allow harnesses or any other types of collars.
    Hidden Content

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Anonymous

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Halcyon For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (01-09-2015)

I'd call to find out. Places vary. Where I went with my previous dogs they work with choke collars and leather leash. I did not go back to them with our current dog since I don't like using choke collars. Where I go now they let us use either flat collar or harness with 6 foot leash.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rochie427 For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (01-09-2015)

Definitely call. The place where I am going is requiring a flat collar and a four foot leash. They recommend leather, but will allow nylon leashes. They do not allow choke collars, but will allow prong collars after verifying proper fit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (01-10-2015)

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Every beginner novice obedience class (puppy classes we use martingales)- we require a 6 foot flat leash, and deval slip chains are sized and provided upon arrival (included in cost). We also don't train begginer obedience with food. If food is needed for anything at all - we would provide it.

If it's some type of food training school - I would purchase a bait bag & high value food rewards. Make sure you bring poo bags...dogs in new stressful environments and smells might have an accident.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to xracer4844 For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (01-10-2015)

You and Molly should have a fun time.
    We used a normal collar & leash for the first several classes but I would call to be sure.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sparky For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (01-10-2015)

Flat, buckle collar and a 6 foot solid leash (meaning not retractable). I use a leather leash.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (01-10-2015)

All of Archie's classes have required a flat buckle collar and 6" leash, except his Total Recall class that did require a long lead. Think I got the 20 foot one. With positive reinforcement training, treats were needed so I got a treat bag. For convenience, to not only hold treats but my car keys, I got one similar to this: Treat Pouch Sport, Hinged Dog Training Bag from PetSafe

The kind I purchased belted around my waist. I could carry treats, keys and an ID with no problem. The top "snaps" open and closed. I liked the belt type because Archie was quick to learn to watch if I put my hand in it. This this type, I could move the pouch around behind me.

Also, get a variety of treats. It amazing that in some classes Archie would totally blow me off and the treats. As soon as I started surprising him with different flavors and delicacies during a training session he paid attention. One of the favorite treats is Natural Balance sold in the tube. I would get a couple of small tubes of different flavors and slice them into slabs, tuck a couple of flavors in a sandwich bag and freeze. When needed I would chop up, put in a baggie in the pouch and we were ready to go.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (01-10-2015)

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    All of Archie's classes have required a flat buckle collar and 6" leash, except his Total Recall class that did require a long lead. Think I got the 20 foot one. With positive reinforcement training, treats were needed so I got a treat bag. For convenience, to not only hold treats but my car keys, I got one similar to this: Treat Pouch Sport, Hinged Dog Training Bag from PetSafe

The kind I purchased belted around my waist. I could carry treats, keys and an ID with no problem. The top "snaps" open and closed. I liked the belt type because Archie was quick to learn to watch if I put my hand in it. This this type, I could move the pouch around behind me.

Also, get a variety of treats. It amazing that in some classes Archie would totally blow me off and the treats. As soon as I started surprising him with different flavors and delicacies during a training session he paid attention. One of the favorite treats is Natural Balance sold in the tube. I would get a couple of small tubes of different flavors and slice them into slabs, tuck a couple of flavors in a sandwich bag and freeze. When needed I would chop up, put in a baggie in the pouch and we were ready to go.
    When our head trainer is on set filming with a dog - she brings SO MUCH FOOD. Every single time she treats - it's something knew. This is super important. During shows, I keep a couple of different things on me - and a big selection with me. It's great to have a mix on you so that it's always switching. You don't want them to get bored of the same thing over and over and over. A lot of the team use ROLLOVER. It comes in a tube, we cut it up into hunks. ROLLOVER comes in tons of flavors. I buy a mixture and mix them all up.

One of them gives my dog really bad gas...and now that I've mixed them I don't know which one it is!!!!!! Nothing worse than doing some precision formations with a farting dog

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xracer4844 For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (01-10-2015), POPTOP (01-10-2015)

Thanks everyone.

I have baked a variety of treats and made them all bite size. I appreciate all the input. I am all ready and I look forward to the challange of distraction while training her. We are pretty much ready for obidiance 2 but due to her age I could only put her into a puppy class.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos