Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy

1 year old has NO interest in chasing a ball????

My new dog, DJ, is one year old chocolate lab. He has no interest at all in the ball I got him. He doesn't eve look at it as it rolls past him. I thought a retriever would be very interested in a ball. I want to teach him to fetch and catch Frisbee. Is it bad sign he has no interest at all in the ball rolling past him? I have had the dog about 24 hours.......

(he is a very good dog in every other aspect)

-Thanks,
    Robert165

Try other things, a squeaky toy, a dummy... If you've had him for only 24 hours, maybe he is stressed. Wait for him to settle in.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (01-09-2015)

Nope, not a bad sign at all. He has a lot to adjust to and may be too nervous to play at all. Give him a little while to get his bearings and learn to trust you. Even then, some dogs are just not dogs that like balls. My puppy, for example, loves carrying around stuffed toys. He will play with a ball, but that is rarely his first choice. Congrats on the new addition!

Get the Kong balls with the squeeker. That should help.

Puppy
    thaks for all of the replys

Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    My new dog, DJ, is one year old chocolate lab. He has no interest at all in the ball I got him. He doesn't eve look at it as it rolls past him. I thought a retriever would be very interested in a ball. I want to teach him to fetch and catch Frisbee. Is it bad sign he has no interest at all in the ball rolling past him? I have had the dog about 24 hours.......

(he is a very good dog in every other aspect)

-Thanks,
    Robert165
    Robert,

Do you plan to hunt this dog? If not, it's not such a bad sign. If so, you have a problem. Chasing a ball or training dummy, or certainly a bird should have been going on since he was 8-10 weeks old. Have you had him on real birds at all?

I've been a pro trainer for over 36 years, and if you were bringing me this dog these are questions I would be asking you.

EvanG

Oliver is 17 weeks old and doesn't care about playing fetch. He will goes chase the ball if I throw it....he just prefers to toss it up and catch it himself once he has gotten it instead of bringing it back to me to throw again. As long as he is entertained, I am fine with it.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by EvanG View Post
    Robert,

Do you plan to hunt this dog? If not, it's not such a bad sign. If so, you have a problem. Chasing a ball or training dummy, or certainly a bird should have been going on since he was 8-10 weeks old. Have you had him on real birds at all?
    Evan, he said he's only had the dog for 24 hours. I sincerely doubt if he's had him on live birds.

OP, you just got the dog. Please please give him time to settle in and trust you before you begin worrying about chasing a ball or frisbee.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

Echo the other replies - give him time. Archie came to us at 5 years old and had no idea how to play with toys. Over time, he learned and loves balls, especially if they squeak.

It takes time for dogs to settle in, learn their routine, learn you and their new home.

my chili will play fetch all day long in a comfortable situation/environment. at a dog park no way cause he likes so many other smells/things. think it will just take some time/practice, I wouldnt worry.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos