Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrible twos

Terrible twos

I am wondering if this is from the weather or just the age. I had just started trusting Molly for short outings at home with my other dog granted that is not going to happen agin. She shredded an entire cookbook oh what a mess. But while I was home before class yesterday at 8am she chewed on one of my window cills. At first I thought she was chewing on one of her toys but the sound did not sound familar. I believe an easy fix I hope. Is this the beggining of the terrible two's? How long does it last?

How old is Molly again? Gauge is almost 3 and hes been out of his crate around 8mths. He will still chew on things if they are left out. Never walls or anything but shoes, books papers whatever. He hasn't done it in sometime then the other day I came homeand he shredded my husbands hat. I blame it on the weather and not getting as much exercise as he normally gets. When he went thru his teenage phase he was about 7months but his only lasted a few weeks. He acted like he forgot everything I taught him.

Right around 5 months

You are brave! There is NO WAY Theo will be ready to be out of his crate any time soon. He cannot even be left out at night. He is a teething maniac that cannot be trusted.
    Hidden Content Theo 8/14/14

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (01-11-2015)

I would say she is not ready yet. Maybe a large expen or confined to a room where she can't get into anything. Gauge was confined to our room when I was working. He had a long play session and his toys to keep him busy. I'm lucky because my husband and I work opposite shifts so most of the time someone is home. We started slow and built up time. I also had an expen set up for him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sheltieluver For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (01-11-2015)

Luna was naughty 5-6 months and again 8-9. She destroyed a cardboard box, gnawed on molding as a pup, and chewed the wicker on my Papasan chair.

I just waited it out and made sure she always had something to do and something good to chew on.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (01-11-2015)

Age in combination with lack of exercise I suppose.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (01-11-2015)

Its the age, lack of supervision, boredom. In general, 5 month old puppies of any breed should never be unsupervised

I personally dont believe in terrible twos or age related behavior. No matter what the age, if you set a dog up for success with adequate supervision, training, and plenty of stimulation, you wont run into so many problems

I havent had many problems at all this was a first and I do think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we have been stuck indoors for days.

Real Retriever
    5 months old? You must have a lot of trust in her to even try!

The leash is your friend. I've always called it the teen rebellion, where they forget everything you have taught them and start to really get in trouble if left to their own devises. If I am home, my pup is allowed to roam freely, within a small area around me and NEVER out of my sight. For Sunshine I had to setup cardboard box and metal shelving barricades in the living room, it is pretty large. ALL other rooms were closed off. If I cannot see then, they ARE going to get in trouble! If Molly is a wanderer, leash her to you while you are distracted. Then let her free when you can keep an eye on her.

Lack of outside exercise could also be a big part of it, too much energy in that little package. I sucked it up and just bundled up and took Sunshine for whatever time outside she needed. Now, at 3, this is her first winter where we can take a few days off and stay inside!! YEAH!!! We still have to 'play' but since she FINALLY matured mind games are doing wonderfully. Having her find a toy, bring it somewhere and leave it is a Godsend for many days. I don't have to keep scattering stuff around for her to bring me when I name them.

So spend time working Molly's mind on cold days! With hide and seek she can still get some running in too.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodrow_Woodchuck For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (01-11-2015), SoapySophie (01-11-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos