Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Update

Frank Update

I thought I would share an update on how Frank is doing since he will be with us a week tomorrow. He is settling in nicely. In fact, it's as if he's always been with us! He hasn't had any accidents in the house so I would say he is housebroken. He has been eating well too. The first two nights he was with us he slept in a crate. On the third night, I went to bed before DH and the dogs came with me. DH was supposed to put Frank in the crate when he came to bed, but apparently Frank looked so comfy, DH couldn't crate him. So, Frank now sleeps in our bed. Thank goodness it's a King size, because with two labs in our bed, we humans wouldn't stand a chance!

Sam and Frank are starting to get along nicely. At first Sam didn't want anything to do with Frank, but they have now started to wrestle and play bitey face. They also like to play tug and have decapitated a couple of stuffed toys we had. I'm going to need to find some indestructible toys because they are pretty rough! Frank does like to chew and the antler we have seems to be his favorite. He blew through a compressed rawhide which made me nervous so I took it away. He will also chew on a nylabone. They boys have enjoyed a few rounds of Chuck-it but we usually play in the big field next to our house which isn't fenced in. Sam has good recall but I'm not sure about Frank. I'm sure in time we will get there.

The only thing so far I'm not sure about is Frank barks when we crate him when we go to work. I bought a Kong and stuffed it with yogurt, peanut butter and kibble and froze it. When I gave it to him on the first day he was quiet but yesterday I could hear him out in the driveway but I thought it would be worse if I went back in. The dog walker did say he was quiet when she got there. My daughter was home with him on Monday and Wednesday but she was still sleeping when I left for work. His barking woke her up and she ended up going back to sleep in our bed with the dogs. He's been so good for us, we hope we won't need the crate for very long. But for safety's sake with the two dogs, I feel like we should use it until both dogs are comfortable with each other. I emailed the rescue and she she suggested leaving a radio on with some soft music or possibly a TV which I already do. She said to try to make our arrivals and departures as drama free as possible and to practice letting him see us leave for short periods of time and come back each time so he understands we will always come back. She said this behavior usually improves with a little more time. She also said some people find using some of those homeopathic aromatherapy plugins and/or collars can help with the separation anxiety. I'm not sure about that just yet.

So, all in all, it's been a good week! Now for some pictures!

Two happy boys waiting for a treat:

Frank says isn't this where I'm supposed to chew my ball?

Here he is making himself at home
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:

Dallas dawg (01-16-2015), Jollymolly (01-17-2015), kelsyg (01-17-2015), kimbersmom (01-16-2015), MikeLynn (01-18-2015), POPTOP (01-16-2015), sheltieluver (01-16-2015)

Sounds like Frank is settling right in to his new home The picture of your boys is beautiful.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Sounds to me like Frank found his forever home and I think he knows it too!! The barking in the crate will take some time. Benelli had terrible crate anxiety when we got him. I did the same thing Kong's/bones frozen and stuffed the Kong wobbler, no big deal when I left or when I came back. TV or radio on and just practiced. He is now fine with the crate and runs to it BC he gets goodies when I leave. Last night I was watching tv and he was laying in his crate chewing on his bone with the door open.

Super report! So glad all is going well with you and your two boys.
    Kathy--mom to:
    Mac--chocolate lab
    Scotty--Arabian gelding

No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses.
    (Herman Melville Redburn)

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Glad he is fitting in and your boys are getting along!

Great update! Frank has found his forever home.

I have done like you, crating for the first few days. DH is always the one who decides after about 2-3 days that that's enough, LOL. Oh, Mardi did get crater longer cause she came into heat a few days after joining the family and I needed to contain the mess.

Archie still sleeps in his crate because he thinks bugging me at 2 am is a fun game. His crate is beside my side of the bed so he can still huff at me, sigh.

Senior Dog
    Good for you

Best news i've seen today!
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

Great news . Welcome home kid.

Great update!
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos