Yep. We did that.

I'm an extreme couponer. For me that means that I shop extreme sales as well and post-holiday meat discounts are huge for our stock. Basically, grocery stores order too much meat, particularly specialty meat (lamb, turkey etc) for the holidays then price it at practically throw away costs five days or so after the holiday season ends. This is a very important shopping time of year for us because our dogs eat only what I call "whole foods" based on their nutritionist's recommendations. I run around to every major grocery chain like a maniac picking up heavily discounted meat and this year was a really good one.

So our freezers were full when we ran across this fantastic deal on boneless pork loin.

I hesitated. I fussed. Then I looked at my husband and asked him to pull up weather.com on his phone. The temperature was below freezing for the forecast!

We bought a case. And we left it in the trunk of the car while we drove around for two weeks.

It will be 1 degree F tonight and we have one pork loin left. On Sunday it will get to almost 50 degrees. We will take it out of the trunk and thaw out that last pork loin tomorrow. Our timing was perfect.

Yep. We did that.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (01-17-2015), Scoutpout (01-18-2015)

Wow that is awesome.

The after holiday sales are cruicial.

Love it

The things we do for our dogs make perfect sense!!!!

Makes me laugh. Did a huge soup making session and then DH asked where the heck I planned to put it. On the back porch! That side of the house gets no sun during the winter, temps had been well below freezing, and since then either some went to DD or I shuffled stuff in the freezer.

Temps are up right now, hurray 40 today, but definitely going back done. Need to defrost the freezer and looking for a frigid day to do it. Everything out on the back porch while defrosting. Oh, I put a sheet over the stuff to keep the furkids out.

I feed raw to my crew too, and as much as I HATE winter, I love that I can leave things in the garage or put coolers outside when my freezers are full.

Also, how did I not know about the after holiday meat sales?? This never occurred to me, but next year that will be my after Christmas shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by shellbell View Post
    I feed raw to my crew too, and as much as I HATE winter, I love that I can leave things in the garage or put coolers outside when my freezers are full.

Also, how did I not know about the after holiday meat sales?? This never occurred to me, but next year that will be my after Christmas shopping.
    Oh yeah! Look for the holiday meats especially. Our Costco always orders way too much lamb and they slash the prices several days to a week after Christmas Day. I get it for as little as $2.99/lb. It's the only time I buy lamb. Thawed turkeys go on extreme sale as well. I've picked up duck too. There are also the pre-holiday sales so when everyone else is picking up their holiday meats, fish and chicken tend to go on clearance up to two weeks in advance because everyone is buying the other stuff.

We have so much meat right now.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos