Flea Prevention for Cats

I started back up on flea prevention this week when I heard others in my area complaining about infestations and such and saw several mosquitoes. We've had a mild winter.

The dogs are on Trifexis. The cat is an indoor only cat so I only worry about fleas. The stuff I used four days ago left an oil slick on her back that looks like it will take another several days to go away. Gross.

I don't want to use a prescription medication because she doesn't need it and I won't take her for vaccinations again after her adult boosters unless I decide to let her outside (unlikely).

What topical flea prevention does everyone recommend?

Oh, and here are some photos of her. I think I was all questions when I first got her as a little kitten then failed to update her. Now she's about 9 months old and fitting in just fine! I don't know if she "thinks she's a dog" but she follows me everywhere, is very vocal, and loves to eat. It's almost like having another dog. The dogs like her OK and she likes them OK. They play from time-to-time and she likes to ambush them, especially Linus. Sam would rather cuddle with her. I've almost got her sitting for treats instead of screaming and climbing on me and batting at everything. Cats are hard to train!

-fatkitty-jpg
    She's a good eater.

-kitty-jpg
    Her favorite box. She practically lives in here.

-kisses-jpg
    This photo looks cute, but really she was p!ssed. She chewed on his leg for awhile then took off.

-bed-jpg
    Linus doesn't think it's fair that she is allowed on the bed and he isn't. And he lets me know.

That first picture! Love it! I don't have cats so no advice but I just had to respond to that first picture.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Not sure if cats can have Frontline, but I use Frontline Plus here for Luna in NY. No problems so far.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

My vet suggested revolution for fleas and heartworm for my cat. I bought it once but I don't use it. Haven't had an issue, she's an indoor cat. Cute pictures.
    Charlie and Burton

Highly unlikely she will get fleas since she is an indoor cat, but if you notice fleas you could buy a flea shampoo or Frontline spray. I don't think you should apply a topical every month, I believe it's unnecessary.

Very sweet cat by the way. Such a personality!
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I use frontline but I'm still having issues with fleas on the cats. We had an infestation a few months back. I only see one or two occasionally and haven't found any on the dogs they are on trifexis after still seeing them on just the frontline and setinal. A vet friend of mine told me about confortis for cats its a once a month pill but its very costly. Maybe not bad if you have one cat but I have 6. I may switch them to revolution and see if does a better job getting rid of them. I def don't have as many as before.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos