Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

how to train an aggressive pit bull

to get along with my chili doggy?

my nephew has a 3-4 year old blue pit intact. its a really friendly dog with humans and its 8 yr old sister bassett hound. its also friendly with some other family dogs. but when it comes to my chili, the pit has to wear a muzzle and even then it will pounce/maul/hold my chili down. chili is scared to death of this dog. I would like them to get along. but have no clue how to go about it. at family events we just keep them separated. one outside/one inside then flipflop.

I tried to work on them being friends last xmas with no luck. my others nephew service dog pit mix even got between chili/blue pit. he tried licking the other pit/barking at it/and even put his paws on the blue pit to keep them separated. it touched my heart, but still didnt matter much in slowing down the drive of the blue pit to wanna devour my chili. whenever the blue pit is around, chili stays glued to my leg and when the pit approaches it curls up on ground and sometimes even rolls over. I dont want chili to be so scared of this family members dog and would like them to get along.

any thoughts?
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Remind me, is Chili intact too?
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

voodoo (01-19-2015)

yes, both dogs intact males.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Truthfully its probably not possible at least not on your own. If anything you should involve a professional whos specialty is aggressive dogs. Do not attmept this one on your own. A dog aggressive bully breed is no joke

Just my opinion, keep the dogs away from this dog at all times. He should not be around other dogs at all. They need to keep him at home for the protection of others and himself

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

voodoo (01-17-2015)

yea, whenever the blue pit leaves the house, it has his muzzle on and only seems to go out when its family events like xmas/thanksgiving etc... My nephew asked me if neutering his pit would help, cause he wants his dog to like my dog, but I didnt have an answer.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

yes, both dogs intact males.

Well, that's the problem.

The pit is aggressive with intact males. The other dog is a female, so he is going along well with her.

Don't expect that the two dogs will ever start playing with each other and be best buddies, but you may get them to tolerate each other, especially since Chili sounds like a submissive dog.

Go to a neutral territory (park, forest etc). Take a long walk, with both dogs on leash. If you can let them off-leash, even better. Be sure that the pit has the muzzle on. If a dog fight breaks, break it, ignore, go on with your walk.

It takes time. Go for such walks frequently. Don't make long pauses. If you can go every day, that's great. The dogs will become accustomed to the presence of each other. Walks are much better than leaving the dogs inside a fenced area. You don't want much interaction between the dogs. When they start ignoring each other, it's great.

Just be patient.
    Cookie Black Snowflake

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

voodoo (01-17-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeysMommy View Post
    Truthfully its probably not possible at least not on your own. If anything you should involve a professional whos specialty is aggressive dogs. Do not attmept this one on your own. A dog aggressive bully breed is no joke

Just my opinion, keep the dogs away from this dog at all times. He should not be around other dogs at all. They need to keep him at home for the protection of others and himself
    The dog is aggressive with intact males. You can't call that dog "dog-aggressive". Most intact males don't get along with other intact males.

If the dog has a solid recall and/or is muzzled & leashed during walks, I don't see how he can be a danger to anyone.
    Cookie Black Snowflake

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

voodoo (01-19-2015)

Berna, thats your opinion, and i respect that. ive done plenty of rescue work with bully breeds and aggression of any type involving them should not be handled by the average pet owner. Im not there and neither are you. Neither of us know the extent of this.

My advice remains the same, contact a professional. This is a somewhat submissive lab we are talking about. Anything goes wrong this dog can be damaged for life

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

voodoo (01-19-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeysMommy View Post
    Berna, thats your opinion, and i respect that. ive done plenty of rescue work with bully breeds and aggression of any type involving them should not be handled by the average pet owner. Im not there and neither are you. Neither of us know the extent of this.

My advice remains the same, contact a professional. This is a somewhat submissive lab we are talking about. Anything goes wrong this dog can be damaged for life
    I know pit bulls can be extremely dog-aggressive.

I live in a country where most dogs are intact, these issues are not even an issue here.
    Cookie Black Snowflake

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

voodoo (01-19-2015)

does it matter if chili is submissive or dominant? chili only acts this way with this pit. at the dog park he tends to be dominant with other dogs. but I agree with both of you. this pit is very, very strong and dominant, I think of him as the king of the jungle. I dont plan on trying to be cesar milan here...but do like the idea of attempting a walk with leashes/muzzle and see what happens. I am not strong enough to control both dogs by myself so it would be a walk with both owners
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos