Thread: Testicles

Post Testicles

My Vet originally told me that one of Oliver's testicles had not dropped and it wouldn't ever drop. Well, today he was on his back and there were two round testicles. When I felt them, they were in fact two round testicles. Here is where the problem is....I haven't been able to find them again since then. Is that weird or normal? Did I maybe imagine them because I would like to think his testicles will eventually appear?
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

A lot of folks who aren't familiar with dog anatomy often mistake an excited dog with his bulbis glandis enlarged as "testicles" because there will be two, one on each side of the back of the penis, but this is more on the belly vs. where the testicles are. If you can't find them again, chances are the dog was excited and you really didn't see testicles. If one didn't drop, then you should at least find ONE at all times.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (01-18-2015)

Hmm...maybe that is what it is then. When I got home from babysitting my friend's son, Oliver rolled over in his back for a belly rub and they were there again. You think it isn't his testicles but his bulbis glandis?
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Or he's just happy to see you

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    A lot of folks who aren't familiar with dog anatomy often mistake an excited dog with his bulbis glandis enlarged as "testicles" because there will be two, one on each side of the back of the penis, but this is more on the belly vs. where the testicles are. If you can't find them again, chances are the dog was excited and you really didn't see testicles. If one didn't drop, then you should at least find ONE at all times.
    That was my first thought, too...you see this most often when a dog is excited about what's going on...and a belly rub is one of those good times.

LOL, here's a picture. From a Google Image search. See how the bulbus glandis are right at the base of the penis? The testicles in this intact dog are much closer to his anus. When a male is fully erect both the penis and the bulbus glandis will protrude from the sheath and be quite red, as they are out of their furry covering. But in the photo below it's easy to see how they can be mistaken for testicles in the scrotum.

-bulbus-glandis-jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (01-18-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    LOL, here's a picture. From a Google Image search. See how the bulbus glandis are right at the base of the penis? The testicles in this intact dog are much closer to his anus. When a male is fully erect both the penis and the bulbus glandis will protrude from the sheath and be quite red, as they are out of their furry covering. But in the photo below it's easy to see how they can be mistaken for testicles in the scrotum.

-bulbus-glandis-jpg
    that is what it is then. They are at the base of his penis and not further down. Darn it, I thought we were getting somewhere.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Best Friend Retriever Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    How old is your pup? The other testicle can still drop. Some have done so as late as 6 months. Your vet telling you it never will drop..... that depends on his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors View Post
    How old is your pup? The other testicle can still drop. Some have done so as late as 6 months. Your vet telling you it never will drop..... that depends on his age.
    19 weeks old. Maybe it just a tactic to get him neutered right at 6 months???
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Yes, and don't do it... He'll be fine to wait on until growth plate closure.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

BaconsMom (01-27-2015), beth101509 (01-26-2015), Charlotte K. (01-25-2015), Snowco Labradors (01-27-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos