Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much food?

Too much food?

Frank has been with us for a week now. He was eating an unknown kibble at the rescue and we had to switch him to our food much faster than I would have liked. The rescue only gave me a small amount of food to make the transition with. The rescue said to feed him 2 cups of kibble plus a scoop of canned food twice a day. We put him on Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach because he is pretty flaky and I thought the salmon based food would help with that. He made the transition without any diarrhea but he now has the worst room clearing disgusting gas. Does it sound like we're feeding him too much? He is very thin. His spine and hip bones are very prominent so he needs to gain weight. This morning I only gave him 1.5 cups of kibble plus the canned. Does that seem like a more reasonable amount of food? Sam has a weight problem and only gets a cup of kibble plus a scoop of canned twice a day so it's difficult to make a comparison with him. Does this sound like an over feeding issue versus the food not working for him?
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Sounds like over-feeding to me too. Our adults get one cup a meal plus some canned. But gas is weird. Mine can get it from certain treats, not their standard food. I feed a premade raw from time to time and when they eat that, OMG the gas. It could be the variety of canned too. You should try to just add a spoon of yogurt instead of canned and see if it's different.

Benelli had the worse gas ever when we got him. It has settled. He also had giardia when we got him so not sure if that had something to do with it. It could be the food too. My dogs has horrible gas on pro plan and Fromms. Since hes new to the food I would cut the amount and maybe try a probiotic.

I agree with the probiotic or the yogurt and cutting the food by 1/2 cup per meal and seeing how it goes.

It could just be the food.

I feed raw and red meat gives Sam the toots and Linus gets the SBDs. I occasionally feed a probiotic as well and it doesn't seem to help the gas on the red meat.

Real Retriever
    Rivers eats mostly red meat, doesn't get any gas.

Creek eats mostly poultry; she doesn't get gas, but she does get the burps. I think it's because she gets so excited for her food.

If I feed the dogs canned tripe, they both have gas horribly. But if I feed raw tripe they don't.

who knows.

You have a new puppy???????? What's he look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
    You have a new puppy???????? What's he look like?
    We do have a new dog. We rescued him last week. The vet guessed his age to be around 18-24 months. The boys are getting along nicely. There have been a few growls but nothing major. He is really a sweet boy.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Real Retriever
    Yellow and black!!!! Cool!

We automatically went with a female when looking for a play-mate for Rivers. Were you guys looking for a male or female? We were afraid with Rivers being a dominating male that he wouldn't like one his size in the house. At the park, he was fine with male dogs, just not in the house.

I would think the gas is just adjusting to a new food, perhaps even he's adjusting to fish which he may have never had before. I don't think 3 cups a day to an underweight dog sounds like over feeding. Just maybe give him some time for his tummy to get used to everything that is new. Dodger gets gas every time we go into the car, he loves going in the car but gets nervous that we are going to the vet every time. The gas could just be nerves as your house, family, food is all new.

Woofie, for some reason, I have always liked male dogs so that's what we were looking for. Sam always gets along with every dog he meets so I wasn't real worried. Frank still needs to be neutered so we're being careful. The rescue said sometimes neutered dogs don't like intact dogs so we have only let Frank and Sam be together. No family dogs or neighbor dogs yet. Frank is definitely more submissive than Sam but I feel like once he's used to us, Sam and his new home that might change some.

Krosen - Frank has been eating 4 cups of food a day plus some canned. Today I dropped his breakfast back by a half cup. If I keep feeding this amount, he would be getting 3 cups a day plus a half of a can of wet food.

I do want to place an order on Amazon so I could probably buy some Flortiflora. We also have a vet appointment tomorrow and I plan on taking in a stool sample so I'll definitely get that checked out.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Real Retriever
    Some male dogs do great together.

Rivers always did good with male dogs until he was attacked by 2 of them within 2yrs apart. One male german shepherd broke Rivers foot; 2yrs later a male pitbull ripped Rivers cheek open from his ear all the way to his lip.

After that, he's fine with *little* male dogs, he does not do good with male dogs his size. Can't say as I blame him.

I do agree that male dogs seem to show more affection; that said, this girl we have now, not sure exactly what she is, but she's very affectionate - these 2 get along awesome.

Growing up, we always had dogs of the same sex without issue, but yes, they were all fixed.

Keep us posted - that's a good lookin pup!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos