Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peanut Paste

Senior Dog

Peanut Paste

Don't use peanut paste in Kongs! I never really used peanut paste much when I used my Kongs (I just put the food inside without or otherwise used Greek natural yoghurt).

This article is a good reminder that it's not only bad for us but also our dogs. Particularly because of the aflatoxins that cause cancer (also found in dog kibble).

3 Reasons Peanut Butter Isnt Safe For Dogs (Or People) | Dogs Naturally Magazine
    Trudy 6/16/11
    Gracie 6 years DSH cat
    Lily Lou rescue foster 2/10/14

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgie For This Useful Post:

ChoppersDad (01-20-2015)

I have Kong toys and I tried the peanut butter paste. It upsets Chopper's tummy. I do not use it anymore. Thanks for the post...

I doubt peanut butter is any worse than half the crap the snarf up off the ground half the time. I look at it like this, that tablespoon or two that they get mixed with yogurt and little bit of food in their kongs once or twice a month isn't a big deal. They love it, and I'm ok with giving it too them. I only use the all natural with no sugar, and a jar will last me 6 months or more.

Senior Dog
    Meh. Andrew Weil is a bit of a quack, and aflatoxin is minimally risky. Aflatoxin: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    Meh. Andrew Weil is a bit of a quack, and aflatoxin is minimally risky. Aflatoxin: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
    I agree with this very much. Now, the Kong Paste and stuff that comes in tubes I wouldn't put in. This is pretty far removed from real peanut butter. However, peanut butter itself is totally fine in fact it is quite a healthy product. Its one of the key ingredients in emergency nutition packets sent to starving areas as it contains valuable protein and good fats.

Does it contain fat, yet all nuts do, heck even vegetables contain fats, thats where you get vegetable oil from. However dog and humans needs certain amounts of fats. And they need different varieties of proteins. A natural whole peanut butter has nothing wrong with it.

Now, Sugar is another thing. If you buy fat free peanut butter, well it tastes like crap. So they do add tons of sugar to it to make it taste good. This is typical with pretty much any lo fat food they replace the fat with sugar. Unless your dog is allergic to peanuts then fresh peanut butter

See legitimate medical sites on benefits of peanut butter. That guys is a little bit quacky. Now I do question what they put into dog treats and foods. However, blanket statements that peanut butter in everything is bad is nonsensical.
    Peanuts
    Nutty About Peanut Butter

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

SoapySophie (01-21-2015)

My dogs would be very sad if I told them they could not have peanut butter anymore, as would I.

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    I don't really feed peanut butter - not because it's not healthy...I just tend to give more dehydrated vegetables as well as things like carrots, celery etc.

The amount of PB I use to plug the large hole on a Kong is really very little. It freezes very well and the furkids love it. The majority of the filler is yogurt and fruit or veggies so I don't worry about the small amount of PB.

My question, what about dry roasted peanuts? Bought some by accident (love honey roasted peanuts). I think the dry roasted is OK for the furkids but what's your opinion? In moderation of course.

Senior Dog
    I don't use Kong's very often, but all of my dogs have been getting pills (mostly joint supplements) in peanut butter for their entire lives (and two so far have made it to 15 so that's a lot of years) with no problems!
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

I am not stopping the peanut butter....

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos