Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Training a puppy that is not food motivated

First of all, I should be clear that this is not my pup that I am talking about. Theo responds well to training treats as well as praise.

We are in puppy class with a Boxer that will not even taste any treat that is offered to her. She will sniff and then turn her head. Last week, she was offered at least 10 different types/brands/flavors of training treats and just had no interest at all. Her owners said that she will not even take them at home, so I don't think it was just the environment throwing her off.

Anyone have any tips of what else to use to motivate this puppy? Any surefire treats that work on dogs that don't even like treats? I'd like to show up with something else to try with her. Poor puppy parents. Theo will keep trying to get anything right for the tiniest nibble of a treat.
    Hidden Content Theo 8/14/14

some dogs work well for praise or a tone. try different toys as reward.

using real life rewards works great (maybe nto so much in the training a new command but for reinforcing one) - ex: ask for behaviour before they can go eat, or go outside, or get pets, or go play wtih a friend. whatever follows the command is the reward.

ETA: for more food tips - cat food (wet), tripe, and warmed up human meats can be higher valu. warm weiners (zap it real quick in microwave) or ham can be stinky and rewarding.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Laura (01-21-2015)

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Our team uses rollover for all training

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xracer4844 For This Useful Post:

Laura (01-21-2015)

She needs to figure out what motivates her dog. Some things that work for others are Frisbee, ball, tug toy (I personally won't use due to doing field work). Boxers can be tough to motivate, esp when so many are being bred w/o doing working titles. We're seeing this in Labs from some breeders too...... never seems to be a problem until people start trying to do obedience or whatever and the dog pops them the paw.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

emma_Dad (01-21-2015), Laura (01-21-2015), Tanya (01-21-2015)

Thanks! I will try taking a cut up hotdog and a couple small toys with me. I don't know where to get rollover.

The whole family came to class and they all seem just at a loss when it comes to dealing with that puppy. The kids (10 &12) seem afraid of her. The adults seem to be constantly dragged around by this puppy.

She does not appear to come from a reputable breeder, based on her facial structure, so I doubt they are getting training suggestions and support from the breeder. They need all the help they can get and I appreciate all suggestions offered.

Senior Dog
    I've used praise in the past with dogs who were too food-focused for food to be a good idea.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Laura (01-21-2015)

Perhaps suggest that they take some private classes along with the group classes since they seem to be at a loss, getting dragged around and there own children are afraid of the dog

All dogs respond to something whether it be praise, a certain activity, a toy or a treat, they just need to find out what makes this dog tick

Kinda surprised to hear they are having trouble with a boxer puppy, one of my brothers owns 3 and they were as easy as Zoey to train. Very smart dogs, just a little stubborn at times

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

Laura (01-21-2015)

Senior Dog
    When we were in agility, a LOT of the class dogs were not particularly food-motivated. Kimber thought it was awesome because the other dogs would snub the treats that had been set out as lures and she'd have a feast.

I'd definitely start the conversation windycanyon mentions: what does get the dog excited? I've seen owners who thought treats were the *only* thing to use, and were really surprised to hear a toy or positive attention could work.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

Laura (01-21-2015)

Boxers are pretty playful dogs, and I don't know too many who love food like a Lab does, so ask them if the dog has a favorite toy at home. If so, have them put the toy away and ONLY use it when training for a reward. And I second the advice regarding getting them to take some private lessons. I don't think boxers are the easiest dogs to live with, generally speaking.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Laura (01-21-2015)

How old is puppy? Have they tried only store bought treats? Do they withhold a meal before class? How do they show enthusiasm when puppy does something right?

I get interest from all the dogs when I show up with real roast beef. I buy it on sale, cook, cool, cut, store in freezer till needed. Real cheese often works, gummie bears too, only a few of them. Sometimes all the reward I need is allowing my dog to jump up on me and we have a hug.

There were two dogs in our first class that would not respond to treats. Amazingly one was part Lab but he would only work for a tug on his tug toy. The other was far harder, he had to have a belly rub. His poor owner spent most of the class working him up from lying down belly rubs to standing up belly rubs.

If even toys don't work then this link on how to create a motivating toy might help: How to Create a Motivating Toy

Good luck. I found I learned a lot from watching what other dogs and owners did, finding out what worked for them as well as for ourselves. And it was fun. I hope the owners make it fun for puppy.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Laura (01-21-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos