Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bird Dog Training - Need Advice

So I think I have decided to send Chopper to sporting dog training. My only reservation is being without him for 10 weeks, but I think I can get through that issue. I get to train with him on the weekends. My plan is to send him to Central Oregon Sporting Dog:

Central Oregon Sporting Dog located in Bend Oregon

I have decided to train him for the pointing dog program:
    Pointing Dog Program (age 6 mos. to 1 yr.).............................$2,400.00
    • Here
    • Whoa
    • Whistles
    • Point instinctively
    • Steady to wing

• Heel
    • Quarter on command
    • Gun introduction
    • Retrieve instinctively
    This trainer has excellent ratings and is considered one of the best in the Pacific Northwest. Is this a fair price? I have a lot of experience hunting upland game birds such as quail, chukar and pheasant, but never hunted with my own bird dog. Therefore, I'm leaning towards the pointing dog program over the retrieving dog program. I have no experience duck hunting, but I would love to give it a try. There is plenty of opportunity for this kind of bird hunting in the Oregon area. Should I consider the retriever/flushing program?

Retriever/Flushing Dog Program (age 6 mos. to 1 yr.).............................$2,400.00
    • Here
    • Sit
    • Whistles
    • Flush
    • Marking
    • Hand Signals
    • Heel
    • Quarter on command
    • Gun introduction
    • Retrieve instinctively
    • Casts

I've been spending some prep time getting him ready for this training session. I have been training him to point without getting too close utilizing a fishing pole and pheasant wings. He is really starting to get the hang of it. I have not trained him yet to be around gunfire, but he has been getting plenty of time around geese and ducks. He seems to have the knack for bird hunting without any formal training. Here's a few pics of him showing interest in ducks and the love for the water. I can't seem to keep him out of water. Another reason I may switch to duck hunting.

Any advice on what I should do from here? The trainer has one slot left for April of this year. I need to make a decision fast.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice,

Jerry

What's that I see?

Ducks on the Pond:

I wouldn't do it. I'm not an avid hunter and never will be, but I also just could not send my puppy away like that. An adult dog? Maybe. A puppy? No way. And, I really enjoy training him on my own. It's not hard when they have a natural ability. And it is SO MUCH FUN! All you need is a good trainer and a couple Saturdays a month.

Why not just train him yourself?

There are tons of resources and opportunities in your area to do just that. And, training is bonding! It's so amazing to watch them learn and grown right in front of your own eyes. Unless you're a big-time hunter (it doesn't sound like you are but I could be wrong) what's the big hurry? It might take longer to do it on your own, but it'll be less expensive, you can keep him at home, you can determine the methods you want to use and stick to them, and the opportunity to bond and create an amazing relationship will be yours.

If you do decide sending him away is what you want to do:

Have you visited their facility? See how the pup is going to live? Are you happy with that?

Have you seen them work with and handle their dogs? When you go out to watch, have them show you a lesser trained dog, not their superstar. Have them show you how they handle a pup or a frustrating dog.

What are the methods they use for training? Are you OK with those methods? An example question might be: What will they do if your dog won't go into cold water?

Have you asked about the trainer from someone you know?

Have you talked to your breeder for recommendations?

Why not start him in the puppy program? He is young, right? And he hasn't been started yet, so these seems like a better place for him to me.

I would also suggest that you get involved in your local Lab Club and/or even a local hunt club and see what's available to you, what you're interested in, and talk to people you know, trust, and respect about trainers. Rose City Labrador Retriever Club and Oregon Hunting Retriever Club are two you should look into.
    Last edited by Labradorks; 01-22-2015 at 01:10 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

ChoppersDad (01-22-2015), Tanya (01-22-2015)

Why are you contemplating sending a RETRIEVER to pointing dog school????

A retriever is not a pointer or setter. They are used to flush, not point. And a good Lab will be a natural at quartering for the flush.

If you're going to send him away, then stick with the retriever program for upland hunting, NOT a pointer program.

Just my two cents.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

We trained Bacon ourselves with the help of mentors at our local lab club and some books (Tom Dokken's Retriever Training by Tom Dokken | 9780896898585 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble) We didnt want to send Bacon away.

Also, my on the pointing program. Most labs won't point. Bacon is a flusher, and its in his nature. I would consider the flushing program, but ultimately this is your call. We also consulted heavily with our breeder, and she helped us through training.

1 year after starting training Bacon he has multiple duck hunts, 2 grouse hunts and 2 pheasant hunts under his belt with great success!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

ChoppersDad (01-22-2015)

Don't get caught up that some folks mistakenly have bred an off-shoot called pointing labs. Labs are not a pointing breed.
    Your boy appears well-bred, train him for what's he's supposed to do, RETRIEVING.

I was able to train Jagger to run a WC without professional help. But his co-owner sent him to hunting camp for a month. I don't know if it made a difference or not. He paid $1000 for one month.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

ChoppersDad (01-22-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Why are you contemplating sending a RETRIEVER to pointing dog school????

A retriever is not a pointer or setter. They are used to flush, not point. And a good Lab will be a natural at quartering for the flush.

If you're going to send him away, then stick with the retriever program for upland hunting, NOT a pointer program.

Just my two cents.
    First of all, thank you for the post. Obviously, I know very little about bird dog training that is why I am asking for advice. I feel pretty silly about right now for even thinking of putting Chopper in a pointing dog program. LOL... He is a retriever. What was I thinking? Therefore, the plan will be to stick with the retriever/flushing program. Now, to send him away or not is a different subject all together.
    Last edited by ChoppersDad; 01-22-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    Don't get caught up that some folks mistakenly have bred an off-shoot called pointing labs. Labs are not a pointing breed.
    Your boy appears well-bred, train him for what's he's supposed to do, RETRIEVING.

I was able to train Jagger to run a WC without professional help. But his co-owner sent him to hunting camp for a month. I don't know if it made a difference or not. He paid $1000 for one month.
    The next subject is the cost. Based on a price of $1,000 for one month and my research of other trainers, the price of $2,400 for 10 weeks of training seems to be a fair price. Especially, if you get a good trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconsMom View Post
    We trained Bacon ourselves with the help of mentors at our local lab club and some books (Tom Dokken's Retriever Training by Tom Dokken | 9780896898585 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble) We didnt want to send Bacon away.
    1 year after starting training Bacon he has multiple duck hunts, 2 grouse hunts and 2 pheasant hunts under his belt with great success!
    This is exciting news. One of the main reasons I was contemplating sending Chopper to formal training is that I am a novice in this department. I didn't want to screw him up with bad training or possibly ruin him with gun introduction. Congrats on training your dog yourself. This information is very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppersDad View Post
    This is exciting news. One of the main reasons I was contemplating sending Chopper to formal training is that I am a novice in this department. I didn't want to screw him up with bad training or possibly ruin him with gun introduction. Congrats on training your dog yourself. This information is very encouraging.
    If you can, talk to people at a local lab club and ask them what they think. To be honest, I dont think you will screw him up! If you are worried about that, talk with all the people you can, get advice, and then make your decision. If you dont want to go for a huge cost, you can send him to doggy boot camp. I know multiple people who have done that with their dogs. They go for 1.5 weeks and get the basics. But know it can be done on your own, Do your research, ask lots of questions, and keep positive!

Jake (the boyfriend) had never trained a dog before, and we trained bacon!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

ChoppersDad (01-22-2015)

Senior Dog
    I would send him for the retriever/flushing programme if he were my dog. I know that 10 weeks seems like an eternity but they go by very quickly especially if you get to work with him on week ends. It is amazing what a good trainer can accomplish in a short time. You want a good reliable hunting companion and the best way for you to achieve this is through a good training programme. The trainer will also be training you which is an added bonus. You probably could train him to the WC level yourself but after that what do you do? He will not be the polished product you will get by going to the professional, who will do it right. As to the price it seems fair. Here in Canada a good pro costs between $850.00 and $1000.00 a month depending on the programme. Most will not take a dog for less than 3 months.You will have a dog that will be proficient in waterfowl hunting as well as upland. My dogs love to upland hunt. Good luck whatever decision you make.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna Scott For This Useful Post:

ChoppersDad (01-22-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos