Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do any of you feel bad

For other peoples dogs. My neighbor has 5 dogs and they are hardly ever out. I'm not exaggerating when I say a quick 5 mins. 10 if my dogs arnt out. Tango the pit still hasn't gotten better he still runs the fence and jumps at it my dogs are so used to it they basically ignore him now. The other 3 are yappy and just bark the whole time my dogs are out even if my dogs are quiet. The neighbors don't want to deal so they just bring them in. I offered to help them but they haven't taken me up on it. Plus they are never home. Those poor dogs are prob bored out of their mind.

I have family members too that I don't think should own animals.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheltieluver For This Useful Post:

Bamps (01-23-2015), Jollymolly (01-23-2015)

Definitely. There are a few in the neighborhood that get no exercise or training. I get a lot of complements on how well behaved my two are, and a lot of those people will say how bad their dog are. I make a point of telling them how much I work with them, how many classes we've taken, etc, etc. They seem genuinely surprised sometimes when I tell them how much time I spend working with these two.

Oh yes. We have a neighbor that has horses and 3 dogs. Their dogs are always pinned. I never see them out. Their one little dog gets out from time to time and comes over to our yard. Mocha wants nothing more than to play but they go crazy trying to get him back. Once they were standing in our yard and yelled at Mocha to "GO HOME" I told them he is home, you are trespassing!
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

That's how I came to have Sally-girl.

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    Oh yes. We have a neighbor that has horses and 3 dogs. Their dogs are always pinned. I never see them out. Their one little dog gets out from time to time and comes over to our yard. Mocha wants nothing more than to play but they go crazy trying to get him back. Once they were standing in our yard and yelled at Mocha to "GO HOME" I told them he is home, you are trespassing!
    Bahaha...standing on your property telling your dog to go home. Priceless!

It's sad how most dog owners don't know enough to train their dog. The excuse many "bad" dog owners give is that "it's a dog. It does dog things." and then they scream and punish the poor thing for doing those things. They think it's ok for the dog to be outside all day, barking non-stop. They think it's normal to be pulled down the street while walking the dog. I wish dog training was more mainstream with the average dog owner population. It's not even that expensive!

My sister has had a chihuahua for a few years now, and while it's reasonably behaved, they haven't trained it to do anything, other than beg for food at the table and do its business on a pee pad inside the house. It has an eardrum-splitting bark, too. Even if it sees someone on the sidewalk across the street. They're proud of how loud it is. I usually take Advil before going to visit them. LOL
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

Yes, feel bad for next door neighbor's dogs. Two little yappers who are totally out of control. What's bad is the owner knows it, says his dogs are wacko, but does nothing about it. Think he feels they are too old to learn. They go bonkers when Archie is out and I've had to train Archie to stay away from the fence. One is very aggressive, I think more fear aggression. Even trying to talk over the fence with his dogs out is almost impossible with them yapping.

I love, love this neighbor, he's so nice, so helpful, so considerate, except where his dogs are concerned.

Absolutely. I live in a fairly low income neighbourhood with a more "rural" mentality. There are a few very well-loved and cared for dogs, but the majority live mostly outside and I never see them out on walks. Very sad.
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

Oh yes. Just last night we heard Charlie howling. She says he's part Lab part Cane Corso but he sounds like a hound. She says she walks him on the north part of the trail but I've never met them there or seen them go by on their way there or back, so I doubt it. For his breeding and assumed energy needs he is very well behaved for a dog that gets no exercise so maybe I just haven't happened to see them.

I feel really, really, really badly for one of the most loved, cared for, taken for good walks dogs we meet. She must be 50% over weight. I swear, the last time I met them, she looked three times as wide as she should be. She's like a keg on legs The told me a recent Vet visit pronounced her 20 pounds too heavy. She's about the size of our ESS who weighed 40 pounds so that makes her 50% overweight, and I bet I'm guessing pretty accurately that she should only weigh about 40 pounds. I keep my mouth shut, I know it will do no good from experience with their previous dog. It's a mystery how good and loving dog owners can let their dog get like this. No health problem, like say thyroid, that would account for the weight, exists. We talk about our dogs' health in a lot of detail, I'm sure they would have told me.

My neighbor has a 3 year old female yellow lab. I have never seen her take the dog on a walk or out with them if they go somewhere. The dog is only allowed in the fenced in backyard to do business and then it is back in the house. Sometimes she will let the dog out and go back inside leaving the dog to her own devices but she will just sit by the back door wanting to be let back in. When we first got Oliver, one of her kids said something about wanting to play with my dog. I almost said, "you have your own dog you should probably play with" but refrained. I can keep my mouth shut sometimes

My mom has Yorkie that has absolutely no manners. She jumps on people, barks at everything, pees all over the place when she gets in trouble or too excited....poor dog is not liked by anyone in the family because of the way she acts. I love her but she is a pain. My mom probably hasn't trained her because she is a little dog. She did get a bark collar for her once but Reagan was smart enough to know to bark quieter so the collar wouldn't shock her. That noise was more annoying than the actual bark. Lol.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

There's a golden retriever two houses down that we see out in the yard all the time always by himself. We've taken Sam over to say hi to him and the dog is so so so excited when we visit him. The dogs actually try to play bitey face over the fence. When he sees us outside playing, he just stands there and watches us and whines. He wears a prong collar 24/7 also. I never ever see him get walked either so I don't why he'd need to even be wearing a prong, let alone all day long. I've thought about asking the people that live there if we could let the dogs play together, but I don't know how to approach them.

There's some type of hound dog a few blocks away from us that is always outside. I usually walk by when it's dark, so I can't tell for sure, but I think his only shelter is open all sides with no bedding inside. I've been meaning to go by there during the day and look more closely because if he is outside constantly with nothing else for shelter, I'm going to report them. He never barks at us, he just approaches, jumps up at the fence to get some pets and greets Sam, and then whines when we leave. He always looks so sad. I just don't understand why even have a dog if you're just going to stick him outside and ignore him. I could see having a dog for protection in our neighborhood but this dog seems too sweet for that so I don't know. My bf thinks we should steal him but then what would we do with him, we'd never be able to take him outside lol.

We also never see other people walking their dogs or out playing with their dogs. We know a lot of people around us have dogs because they bark at us from their yards, but I can count on one hand the number of times we've been walking Sam and greeted another dog out for a walk. I'd like to think they're getting their exercise another way but I really doubt it. I guess Sam is just spoiled. He never goes outside alone and between my bf and I, he gets 2+ hours of outside time either playing or walking with us every day.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos